Sprocket nut.. Any tricks to it ??

LivinLOS

Bikes
Gas Gas 250 (Trials), YZ250 (enduro), DRZ440 (Supermoto) CBR900 Streetfighter (scary !!)
Trying to get my front sprocket nut off.. Its being an awkward bugger.

Have a good quality ring spanner on it, and even with someone on the bike clamping the rear brake as hard as they can, I still just cracked a bamboo broom handle through the rear wheel. Not sure I want any more side force than that on the rear spokes.

Its not a reverse thread. Tried a few love taps with a hammer.. Its soaking in sonax now..

Whats next ?? Rattle gun ?? Heating it ??

Theres a serious amount of force been put on it..

Any tricks to it ?? Dont like the 'just use more force' longer lever plan of attack but cant see what else I can do.

Air-powered impact wrench should do it if you have access to one.

Yeah no air tools.. Tho I guess that the next step..

Put it in 5/6th gear, rear brake on as hard as possible, flat piece of wood (to spread the load on the spokes) through the rear wheel/swing arm. You might not get enough torque with just a spanner. You need a tommy bar and socket. You could also try the two spanner method to get more length/torque to crack the nut. Put the ring end on the nut, using another spanner's ring end engage it onto the other end (open end) of the engaged spanner and heave. Apply the force as quick as you can.

I dont have a 32 mm socket.. But I did eye up a much nicer socket set today that did have..

Will either go buy more tools (always a favorite) or get it down the rd to a rattle gun... Really dont think the ring spanner is going to get it, I kinda gave it my best shot..

LivinLOS said:
I dont have a 32 mm socket.. But I did eye up a much nicer socket set today that did have..

Will either go buy more tools (always a favorite) or get it down the rd to a rattle gun... Really dont think the ring spanner is going to get it, I kinda gave it my best shot..

Put a long piece of metal pipe over the wrench as a cheater bar.....works nearly every time

Back
Top Bottom