Somewhere to stop between Phonsavan and Oudomxay

Capss

Bikes
Suzuki RF400R, BMW R1100S, BMW 1200GSA, BMW 800GS, Gas Gas 450F, Honda CRF250X Yamaha XT600E, Honda CB500x
Hi

I will be doing Phonsavan to Oudomxay in a couple of days and according to my route planning it 316 mile give or take, does anyone know of anywhere in the middle where I could stop for the night, preferably with wifi, but if not no probs

Cheers
Caps

Well - depends with route youre planning to go. If youre going the western route via Louang Prabang and Pak Mong you cant go wrong in Louang Prabang. If youre riding the eastern route via R 7 and 1C you can stop in Nong Khiaw. Its a quite long days ride from Phonsawan but there is plenty of lodging in Nong Khiaw all along the price range and most of them probably have wifi. The disadvantage is that your first day will be quite long and your second will be relatively short.

The road between Pak Mong and Oudomxai is ehh... a little challenging anyhow - so maybe its good to have some time on that stretch.

I have spent a night in a very basic shelter in a small town approx half the way between Phonsawan and Nong Khiaw a couple of years ago but I cannot for my life remember what the place was called. One guesthouse, one restaurant, one gas station, a little market and not much more. The guesthouse was clean though basic.

That is a huge days riding, even if you're on the main highway. Route 7 then 13.

If your not doing the main highway & are going via route 6 then 1C, you'll never make that in one day maybe even struggle doing it in 2 days, so stop in Luang Prabang

Well - depends with route youre planning to go. If youre going the western route via Louang Prabang and Pak Mong you cant go wrong in Louang Prabang. If youre riding the eastern route via R 7 and 1C you can stop in Nong Khiaw. Its a quite long days ride from Phonsawan but there is plenty of lodging in Nong Khiaw all along the price range and most of them probably have wifi. The disadvantage is that your first day will be quite long and your second will be relatively short.

The road between Pak Mong and Oudomxai is ehh... a little challenging anyhow - so maybe its good to have some time on that stretch.

I have spent a night in a very basic shelter in a small town approx half the way between Phonsawan and Nong Khiaw a couple of years ago but I cannot for my life remember what the place was called. One guesthouse, one restaurant, one gas station, a little market and not much more. The guesthouse was clean though basic.

That is a huge days riding, even if you're on the main highway. Route 7 then 13.

If your not doing the main highway & are going via route 6 then 1C, you'll never make that in one day maybe even struggle doing it in 2 days, so stop in Luang Prabang

Guys Thanks for the info, the route I have planned is the 7 on to the 1C, so yeah I will be going through Pak Mong, I best leave some time then haha

Cheers
Wayne

Ha-ha, are you here also Wayne?

The Crf will really come to its right use along 1C and the stretch Nong Khiaw - Pak Mong - Oudomxai...

Ha-ha, are you here also Wayne?

The Crf will really come to its right use along 1C and the stretch Nong Khiaw - Pak Mong - Oudomxai...

Yes mate I am ��, good news on the road haha

Wayne

Wayne, there are several guesthouses in Viengthong (about N20.08560 E103.37004) on Rd. 1C which would break the trip in 2 days. If you are a bit adventurous, you could also go offroad from Phonsavan to Viengthong and take in Lima Site (LS) 36 which is just a bit south-east of Viengthong but I am not sure if this route is on the OSM map (it is on my GPS map) or ride offroad from Phonsavan to Luang Prabang via Phonxai (this route is on the OSM map and a trip report here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-ride-reports/3393-crusty-quinns-do-northern-laos-december-2012-a.html#post25505).

Wayne, there are several guesthouses in Viengthong (about N20.08560 E103.37004) on Rd. 1C which would break the trip in 2 days. If you are a bit adventurous, you could also go offroad from Phonsavan to Viengthong and take in Lima Site (LS) 36 which is just a bit south-east of Viengthong but I am not sure if this route is on the OSM map (it is on my GPS map) or ride offroad from Phonsavan to Luang Prabang via Phonxai (this route is on the OSM map and a trip report here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-ride-reports/3393-crusty-quinns-do-northern-laos-december-2012-a.html#post25505).

Thanks all for the info, will look at the off road bit when I get in, done 200km off road today, more on the RR after my food, sitting in the Nisha Curryhouse thanks to bsacbob

Wayne

Thanks all for the info, will look at the off road bit when I get in, done 200km off road today, more on the RR after my food, sitting in the Nisha Curryhouse thanks to bsacbob

Wayne
No problem Wayne there's actually another Nisa curry house in Nong khiew and cheap accommodation directly behind it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forum Runner

Wayne, there are several guesthouses in Viengthong (about N20.08560 E103.37004) on Rd. 1C which would break the trip in 2 days. If you are a bit adventurous, you could also go offroad from Phonsavan to Viengthong and take in Lima Site (LS) 36 which is just a bit south-east of Viengthong but I am not sure if this route is on the OSM map (it is on my GPS map) or ride offroad from Phonsavan to Luang Prabang via Phonxai (this route is on the OSM map and a trip report here: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...-northern-laos-december-2012-a.html#post25505).

Viengthong is probably the place I mentioned that I couldnt remember the name off.
Thanks for metioning that and all other great info.

But as the threadstarter asked for a place approx half the way between Phonsawan and Oudomxai I think riding to Viengthong the first day would make that day very short and the next day very long as he then have to ride from Viengthong via Nong Khiaw and then to Pak Mong and the the stretch from there to Oudomxai which is a quite rough one. I have only ridden these roads two times so I dont know a whole lot, but I still think I would advise Wayne to make the first leg to Nong Khiaw and the second from there to his destination in Oudomxai. Thefirst day will be long and the second relatively shorter but still the bes option as I see it.

The updated HoboMaps www site has a good strip map of the entire 1C road from the Pho Lao junction on Rt 6 to the Pak Mong junction on Rt 13N: Highway 1C Map Laos

Two new guest houses there in Vieng Thong (old name but still on some maps is: Moung Hiem aka LS-48). Here's a clip from my January 2013 trip through there:

RONed at Dok Kham Thong GH, owned by Souksakhone folks from the parmacy,
020-5531-3376, 020-5655-5249, three stories, lots of rooms, no WiFi, hot water and sitter shitters. kip 60,000/night, wanted to go to kip 80,000 but district authorities would not permit.
- Another new GH: HeungKhamxay, three stories, 064-810-033, 020-2855-9333, 020-5512-0663
- older GH, Souksakhone, 064-810-017, 020-531-3376
- good electricity in town now.
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Still only one restaurant.

Note, further west at Vieng Kham there's a couple new guest houses, a friend stayed at one said it was OK, but cold water, this two years ago.

At Nong Kiew, we got lucky on a trip three years ago and got four rooms at the GH right under the restaurant there on the east side of the bridge, pretty nice, and not costly.

Pak Mong on to Oudom Xay strip map here: Highway 13 Upper Map Laos

FYI, you'll pass through the lively little town of Nam Bac ls-203 shortly after departing Nong Kiew, sure has changed a bunch since I lived there for a few months spring 1967.

Mac

But as the threadstarter asked for a place approx half the way between Phonsawan and Oudomxai I think riding to Viengthong the first day would make that day very short and the next day very long as he then have to ride from Viengthong via Nong Khiaw and then to Pak Mong and the the stretch from there to Oudomxai which is a quite rough one. I have only ridden these roads two times so I dont know a whole lot, but I still think I would advise Wayne to make the first leg to Nong Khiaw and the second from there to his destination in Oudomxai. Thefirst day will be long and the second relatively shorter but still the bes option as I see it.

Phonsavan to Viengthong taking route 7 and 1C/6 is about 200 km while Viengthong to Oudomxai is about 280 km.

Phonsavan to Nong Khiaw taking route 7 and 1C/6 is about 370 km. with Nong Khiaw to Oudomxai is about 110 km.

Phonsavan to Viengthong offroad is about 120 km.

Phonsavan to Luang Phrabang offroad is about 220 km.

Phonsavan to Viengthong taking route 7 and 1C/6 is about 200 km while Viengthong to Oudomxai is about 280 km.

Phonsavan to Nong Khiaw taking route 7 and 1C/6 is about 370 km. with Nong Khiaw to Oudomxai is about 110 km.

Great distance updating!

Anyhow remember the first stretch from Phonsavan along R 7 to the junction where one turn north into 1 C is easy and relatively good road stretch to be in Laos, approx 60-70 km. Done in a blast.

And the stretch from Pak Mong to Oudomxai is quite challening. Several road construction sites along the way where one was forced to wait for up to 20-30 minutes (october last year)

And Nong Khiaw is a much more pleasant place to stay than Viengthong.

Maybe Wayne want to stop for the night in both places....?

Hope I get to try those offroad routes you mention one day! :ride:

Cheers Lone rider, good info

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom