Seeking information about Kalimatan and Sulawesi

Snakeboy

Bikes
Honda Crf 250L 2012, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere 2011
Hello everybody

Since there are no info subforum about Indonesia I place my post here. Hope its ok.

For the moment I am travelling with motobike/overlanding from Europe to Australia. Currently I am in Thailand and I will be here until the beginning of May and then head off towards Australia. I just had two lovely months riding in Laos and Cambodia and it made me hungry for more adventure. I plan to ride through Malaysia, Indonesia and to East Timor and ship my bike over to Oz from there.

The easiest and probably the most conveniant route through Indonesia I guess would be Sumatra-Java-Bali-Lombok-Nusa Tengara and Flores.

BUT - I am thinking about riding a completely different route and thus I try to do some research now.

The route I have been thinking about doing is to ride Sumatra-Java-maybe Bali and Lombok and then catching a ferry up to Kalimatan, for example Samarinda or Balikpapan and then do a loop clockwise on Kalimantan/Borneo to Pontianak. Then cross into the malaysian part and ride the two provinces there of Sarawak and Sabah. And vist Brunei also. (I am even thinking about a detour to the Philippines - but thats another story...)
Then catch another ferry from Tawau to Tarakan or Nunukan and then another ferry over to Sulawesi, ride Sulawesi from north to south (Makassar) and then catch another ferry to Flores and then to East Timor.

What are your general thoughts about this, is it possible, advisable?
Will the ferries carry motorbikes in this part of the world? Are the roads in Kalimantan and Sulawesi rideable? How about safety issues? Are there accomodation available along these parts? Etc etc
Do I need to change itinarary partly or should I just forget the whole thing and stick to the conveniant route?

Any information, advice and general thoughts much appriciated!

Thanks for noticing Snakeboy your post has been moved to the new Indonesia Information sub section :giving:

Hi Blackcap

I have been riding around in Indonesia for more than 3 months and Im going to Darwin on sunday to pick up my bike there and continue my ride.

For several reasons I didnt go to Kalimantan/Borneo. Its difficult to get any information at all about Kalimantan and the information one get is very biased and thus hard to trust. I got a little info from a hungarian guy who had been travelling Indonesia extensively for many years but not on a motorbike though.
But I did travel Sulawesi! I ride Makassar to Manado and returned back to Makassar without riding the same roads. 5000 kms and 4 weeks on Sulawesi was definetively the absolute highlight of a fantastic Indonesia more than 3 months ride.

The next time I want to do Kalimantan too so if you have information please pass it on🇮🇩

Back
Top Bottom