Search info for the custom and insurance for Malaysia

lebretonstef

Bikes
750 Africa Twin
Hello ! Salam !
i search informations about the custom passage in malaysia.
My bike Honda 750 Africa twin arrive the 17 of november to klang.
I have no book pass customs, I don't think it is mandatory. I hope a simple déclération customs should be enough...
You know the rules applied in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand?
Do I need special insurance?
did the police ask you about insurance in control? (in america they never ask about Only When You Have a crash, order in France they ask you about it all the time if You do not have it's a ticket...)
I have the time to receive my bike, if someone lives in there I would be happy to come and see him.
merci !
thank !
terima kasih !
stef.

No insurance document needed as far as I know, though u bear all risk. If riding in from Thailand it's much easier with customs. If u ship the bike in maybe they'll be more particular about the carnet.

I have heard of bikes going in through Klang without a carnet.. Think Malay is one of those carnet optional countries.

LivinLOS said:
I have heard of bikes going in through Klang without a carnet.. Think Malay is one of those carnet optional countries.

By ship into Port Klang, Malaysia will be interesting to see if they ask for a carnet. Land border crossings into Malaysia (from Thailand & Singapore), it seems they are pretty relaxed about the need a of a carnet, but in the same vain as temporary import requirements are different when temporary importing into Thailand by air & sea, there could be an issue at Pork klang, Malaysia port, in respect of the asking for a carnet to qualify for temporary import into Malaysia . (how many times can you say "temporary" in one sentence).

Salut,
In thailand you get an insurance at the border
in malaysia, they are usually flexible.
Some advices about malaysia:
-I might hurt some our fellow riders from malaysia to say: it might not be the safest place world, and africa twin bikes are quite popular. It can go from simple and quick theft to paintfull bike hi-jacking! beware of... especially in the south.
-Some area in the north are really nice to ride with great countryside.
-roads might be dangerous, but good condition

When will you be in thailand?

Selamat Datang Malaysia

pib said:
Some advices about malaysia:
-I might hurt some our fellow riders from malaysia to say: it might not be the safest place world, and africa twin bikes are quite popular. It can go from simple and quick theft to paintfull bike hi-jacking! beware of... especially in the south.

I live about 20 minutes away from South of Malaysia ... it's not nice when these things happens but it's true facts ... I know of many Singaporeans whose bikes go missing in Southern Malaysia especially Johor Bahru. Need to be extra careful. :|

Hello! Salam!
Thank you for your information. they are useful to me.
I thought South Asia is quiet, but apparently it's worse than mexico salvador belize ... in these countries, the thieves were not interested in big bikes ... a chance for us ...
These problems of flight are valid for any country to South East Asia, and it focuses only on the border of singapore?
I can skip going to Singapore.
What do you think about parts of Malacca, Mersing, Kuantan, Selangor?

Another question for Indonesia? I read that the carnet CDP is mandatory, what do you think? it is possible to pass without carnet CDP? I thought I may be going through the island of Sumatra and Java.
Every body have a CDP? or when you drive a bike with South East Asia license you don't need that? in Bolivia is possible to change your bike license if you thinking to stay for a long time.

I thinking to be in thailand After the midle of December, but I'm not sure it depends of my time or not, Indonesia.

Thank you for your support.
Stef.

Where is your bike registered?
because the carnet de passage is necessary at some borders might really depend where your bike is coming from... and on the customs officer also!
Usually a bike registered in south east asia doesnt need a CDP to travel in south east asia. I never heard of any temp license, and I don't think you can get a SEA asia license without paying what it might be expensive in some countries: duties and import taxes which you are exempted when it is not an importation.
Regarding Malaysia, troublesome parts are in johor state, south, near to singapore. Moreover, it is the less interressant part to look at (melacca, mersing). In Malaysia, you better focus on the center and north: cameron islands for instance.
How do you intend to go to Indonesia? I think the simplest way, it is by Klang again! by singapore? it might be more complex i think. (ship your bike is not as easy, beacuse it is singapore; more expensive, because it is a real shipping; to ship to sumatra, quicker by Klang).
Visiting singapore? it might worth a detour despite the hassle to get thru the border for you. You will be in Sims city, and spend only 2-3 days (your bike will be altmost useless) to rest there.
In Sumatra or Java: I have been there only as a basic tourist who can rent a motorbike locally for some day tour, but I might be really worthwhile to travel and touring: surroundings are great in Sumatra, and Java, you can visit some historical places. On Java, if you can avoid to ride in jakarta... dont hesitate: it is hell driving there, and not sure at all. Only some parties deserve to hang out in jakarta, so don't drive ;-).
Enjoy

hello !
My bike is registered in France.
and maybe i can't go...
are there any ferry to go from Malaysia to Indonesia? of klang or Melaka to Sumatra Indonesia(medan or Tanjun balai).
i arrive next weekend in Sepang for the Moto GP.
I would ask the question to the authority.
thank!

Indonesia is really hard without a carnet, I have read one report but I have heard many negative ones too. In fact it is also hard with a carnet, even fully legal people have had many problems on the Sing / Johor Baru side. With a carnet using the onion boats over penang / belawan is known to be the easiest way in, theres a fixer called Mr Lim who handles it.

Cakra Shipping/Georgetown, Contact: Mr Lim (phone 042625879, mob 0124709717)

You cant go with the bikes either, you have to take a foot passenger route. Indonesian customs make Thai / Malay ones look like angels so be aware some small payments may just make life easier, than fighting the rules and being landed a biggger problem.

They have been threatening a RORO ferry on this route for years, claiming ready to in months a few times since I looked into it, but its never managed to get going that I know.

Robert H did get the ferry from Penang, Malaysia across to Sumatra, indonesia with his bike and talked his way into Indonesia WITHOUT a carnet but he said it wasn't easy, not recommended.

LivinLOS said:
Indonesia is really hard without a carnet, I have read one report but I have heard many negative ones too. In fact it is also hard with a carnet, even fully legal people have had many problems on the Sing / Johor Baru side. With a carnet using the onion boats over penang / belawan is known to be the easiest way in, theres a fixer called Mr Lim who handles it.

Cakra Shipping/Georgetown, Contact: Mr Lim (phone 042625879, mob 0124709717)

You cant go with the bikes either, you have to take a foot passenger route. Indonesian customs make Thai / Malay ones look like angels so be aware some small payments may just make life easier, than fighting the rules and being landed a biggger problem.

They have been threatening a RORO ferry on this route for years, claiming ready to in months a few times since I looked into it, but its never managed to get going that I know.

Back
Top Bottom