SEA trip for 1 month

pib

Hi guys,

Next month (November), I am planning a riding trip in south east asia. My tentative tour is leading me from Singapore to Cambodia thru northern Thailand (plan 1week) and laos (stay 2 weeks before spending 1 week in Cambodia). My full trip will last 1 month.
I have a couple of questions, one fellow rider have already given me some really valuable information! I just have some extra questions which I am submitting to all expertise! I am sure I can learn even more from you. I have already done some tour, but for a much shorter time (1 week) on rented bike, but within the same country. They always were great and completely smooth. So I don’t intend to innovate in bad issues… :-s

I am riding an Africa twin, just a good bike for some roads in not perfect condition, and some dirt-roads (forget trail in my cases!).

1. I am based in Singapore, so I plan to cross Malaysia and get in the south of Thailand.
2. Try to board in a train with my bike (around Hatyai), to alight around Hua Hin, or west Bangkok, or somewhere around there. I plan to travel to be in the same train than my bike… I have been in Thailand too many times, and if a lot of things goes well, no hick up possible, it is the start of trip!
3. Cruising north, along the Burma border, to reach Chiang Mai. Crossing Kanchanaburi state, reaching Mae Sot, then going to Mae Hong Son
4. Make some dirt road day tours in the golden triangle
5. Roam aroung Chiang Rai
6. Get into Laos thru Chiang Kong
7. Head to Luang Namtha
8. Try to go to Phonsali
9. Get to Phonsavan by the north road (1C), yes I plan to skip Luang Praban since I know it quite well
10. Then I am heading south, but I would prefer a road alors the Vietnamese border and avoid the #13: Basically following the Ho chin minh trail!
11. By Seking, reaching Pakse then Muang Khong (or Veun Kham) after spending some days in 5000 islands
12. In Cambodia? I have no idea yet except visiting once again Siem Reap
13. final? I don’t know yet…

Here are all my questions …
-I will travel by myself for some parts; perhaps some friends will join me for some parts. Any specific advices for a solo traveler?
-Is there any folks doing the same kind of trip? For a part, interested to meet at some points?
-Any advice to get my bike in a train a Hat yai? Is that easy? Price?
-On the west Thai-burma border, anyone has some really interesting routes/point/tracks to suggest? Some I should not miss! In Kanchanaburi?
-Same question around chiang mai, but I will get all my answers at the rider corner in chiang mai. I will get theirs maps ?
-To cross the border at Chiang Kong, I did it as a 2 legs travelers, not 2 wheels. I have read a lot, it seems easy, but… how long are they going to grant me to stay with my bike within Laos? Since I am gonna stay in laos likely 2 weeks… Is it better to apply for my visa before leaving, to be sure they grant me 1 month?
-Any suggestion of road/dirt-road to get to Luang namtha, then Phonasali, then Phonsavan then Ho chi minh trail?
-Any great information about 5000 islands? And to cross border into Cambodia?
-any great roads in Cambodia to roam at least by the west side?

Any general comments on my trip? Length? Where do I have to focus

General questions:
-What situations do I have to be particularly cautious? (except riding safe, and avoid to get injured…) like scams, possible dangerous area etc…
-Did you have any specific kind of insurance? (I have the bike one + medical)
-would it be legally possible to leave my bike in Cambodia, then come back in a couple of months, to ride again, and going back to Singapore. (Providing I can leave it in a safe place!)
-the bike is fully mine, but I don’t have carnet de passage… would that be an issue?
-I will get ready for puntures, any other mechanical issue I have to think about? I am sure I will be able to find local mechanic, ready to fix most of things on this rough bike… but just in case!

Can write me directly at the.pib@gmail.com

Thx for your times guys! Some new questions will pop-up soon likely.

Looking forward to be there. This trip has been postpone already twice for me… cannot wait longer!
See ya

Here are all my questions …
-I will travel by myself for some parts; perhaps some friends will join me for some parts. Any specific advices for a solo traveler?

Manage your fuel well, Phrase book, have an emergency contact number on you where it's easy for others to find.

-Is there any folks doing the same kind of trip? For a part, interested to meet at some points?

will keep an eye out for you

you could call Hat Yai station

-On the west Thai-burma border, anyone has some really interesting routes/point/tracks to suggest? Some I should not miss! In Kanchanaburi?

Lots of info in this forum, please look to save retyping

-Same question around chiang mai, but I will get all my answers at the rider corner in chiang mai. I will get theirs maps ?

we can help you

-To cross the border at Chiang Kong, I did it as a 2 legs travelers, not 2 wheels. I have read a lot, it seems easy, but… how long are they going to grant me to stay with my bike within Laos? Since I am gonna stay in laos likely 2 weeks… Is it better to apply for my visa before leaving, to be sure they grant me 1 month?

normally 2 weeks but you can ask for 30 days

-Any suggestion of road/dirt-road to get to Luang namtha, then Phonasali, then Phonsavan then Ho chi minh trail?

read the Laos trip reports on the forum

-Any great information about 5000 islands? And to cross border into Cambodia?

will get for you in PM, midnight mapper knows the area well

-any great roads in Cambodia to roam at least by the west side?

read the cambodia section in the forum

Any general comments on my trip? Length? Where do I have to focus

I'm a Laos fan, all the areas are special

General questions:
-What situations do I have to be particularly cautious? (except riding safe, and avoid to get injured…) like scams, possible dangerous area etc…

night riding is the no.1 danger - dogs, potholes, Honda Waves, tuk tuks at 5km/h, drunk farmers........it goes on

-Did you have any specific kind of insurance? (I have the bike one + medical)

At the borders insurance is available

-would it be legally possible to leave my bike in Cambodia, then come back in a couple of months, to ride again, and going back to Singapore. (Providing I can leave it in a safe place!)

yes

-the bike is fully mine, but I don’t have carnet de passage… would that be an issue?

no

-I will get ready for puntures, any other mechanical issue I have to think about? I am sure I will be able to find local mechanic, ready to fix most of things on this rough bike… but just in case!

water pump seal

To cross the border at Chiang Kong, I did it as a 2 legs travelers, not 2 wheels. I have read a lot, it seems easy, but… how long are they going to grant me to stay with my bike within Laos? Since I am gonna stay in laos likely 2 weeks… Is it better to apply for my visa before leaving, to be sure they grant me 1 month?

normally 2 weeks but you can ask for 30 days

You can get a 30 day tourist visa on arrival at the Laos border -- bring a passport photo.

pib said:

Well Phil has enlightened you on most of the questions ... I'll give my take on this particular one since i will normally rail the bike from Hatyai northbound.

It's quite simple actually, go to the ticketing counter and purchase a passenger ticket. I will advise you to purchase at least a 2nd class sleeper. It'll cost you around 800 - 950 baht depending on whether you're getting the upper or lower deck. If you're a big fella, you'll find more space on the lower deck.You need the rest for that 14 hours or so journey. I have taken all classes and trust me you wouldn't want to be in that 3rd class carriage. Your back will suffer.

Once you have the passenger ticket, head down to the cargo section and inform them of your bike to be placed in the cargo section. My friend paid around 1200 baht for his African Twin. That doesn't include 80 baht for tie - down straps and tips for the guys who will lift the bike up to the cargo deck.

Take note that you are to carry with you the side and top luggage to the passenger section. You will be issued a matching receipt which is to be produced when you are collecting your bike at destination station. That's about it. Your bike will be well taken care of at the station.

You can find the train schedule here

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

16932_234107277551_676382551_3044503_6322875_n.jpg

16932_234107287551_676382551_3044504_2575360_n.jpg

16932_234107292551_676382551_3044505_3600012_n.jpg

1st class sleeper

163100_487671187551_676382551_5696863_8349021_n.jpg

2nd class sleeper

222567_10150169965252552_676382551_6550701_7960790_n.jpg

3rd class sitting

There's also 3rd class standee which i dont think you want to get there.

Hope this helps

In some areas, traffic is really bad, road so-so, surroundings might good but better somewhere else in my trip (so save so time), I have been around there without a bike and it is gonna save some exhaustion: riding 700km in 2 days vs getting a 12h train for half the price of fuel+usage.
My point was even to take a train from south malaysia to Hua Yin, but I will ride in Malaysia.

OK ! i understand it was a joke...
Good ride !
enjoy your trip !
and thank for your information
When you start?
stef

I should start around beginning of november

Btw thx guys for all details you gave!

Hi guys,
I was checking my insurance also... Except the "thai border insurance", is it possible for a foreign bike to get a better insurance in thailand??? coz this one seems really minimal!
Thx

It is possible to get third party insurance for a foreign bike, you cannot get 1st class/ fully comprehensive insurance underwritten by a Thai insurance company issued in Thailand.

pib said:
Hi guys,
I was checking my insurance also... Except the "thai border insurance", is it possible for a foreign bike to get a better insurance in thailand??? coz this one seems really minimal!
Thx

Some companies offer "extended" third party insurance. I have this on a couple older bikes (Thai registered). My cost is about 1500 baht/year, from Viriyah Insurance.

For that I get twice as much medical coverage, some minimal coverage if you damage someone else, and bail bond coverage. Nothing for your own bike.

Back
Top Bottom