Scarecrows & Waterfalls

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
As the smoke season approaches, now is the time to get out and enjoy the cool weather and magnificent scenery Northern Thailand has to offer. If you enjoy getting out on the dirt then this loop should be on your to-do list before its gone, the whole area south of the south is a spiderweb of trails and small villages and ticks every box weather it is nasty bits, rocky bits, fast sections, steep uphills and downhills plus of course bull dust it has it all in bucket loads.

Here is my route I've trimmed out the boring Hwy 1 sections so if you follow this route the way I rode it is the most fun IMHO.

79.jpg

Leaving Phan heading South towards the 3186 this beautiful stupa nd viewpoint.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The smokey haze already evident

4.jpg

Back down in the flat lands, the valley along the 3186 is always very fertile, no shortage of water here, yet.

5.jpg

One of the farmers with an artistic streak several scarecrows in interesting attire.

6.jpg

Think he picked this idea from the Halloween movies, reminds me of an area near Siem Reap Cambodia where hundreds of these could be seen.

7.jpg

As you head further South the surface changes to a mixture of gravel, dirt and fresh concrete.

8.jpg

Oh and bulldust.

9.jpg

Beautiful karst ranges ahead to add to the contours.

10.jpg

Another scarecrow, this heading back from a shopping trip.

11.jpg

When you reach Pa Wee rangers station it marks the start of the river trail to the left, a new trial has now been carved to the right arriving at the same destination but avoiding the river in the wet season, this short river trail can be brutal in the wet season.

12.jpg

By the looks, the new trail is no cakewalk either.

13.jpg

14.jpg

The unnamed river down to a trickle.

15.jpg

There are several wooden bridges to negotiate, so deserve a closer inspection before you launch yourself to oblivion.

16.jpg

See what I mean, looked easy enough from back there didn't it.

17.jpg

18.jpg

The river bed, 5 months from now a whole different story.

19.jpg

Another river almost dry nearing Wang Kaew NP.

20.jpg

Tarn Tong waterfall still producing a nice picture opportunity along the 120.

21.jpg

Making the turn before you reach the Dinosaurs at the 120 viewing point things change quickly, as you pass through several poor villages.

22.jpg

But even the poorest village boasts a resplendent Wat

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Timber is still abundant and a natural resource for house building, all the houses built from substantial timbers.

26.jpg

Bit of a tight fit.

27.jpg

28.jpg

Waited for several minutes, these guys did not want to give.

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Most but not all of the villages all now paved, one has to wonder how they got the concrete up here.

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

Lots of welcome shaded areas, although the bamboo leaves can be troublesome.

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

Many, many small villages, most Karen people.

42.jpg

Typical village construction.

43.jpg

Surprised to find this small Wat, usually, all you see are churches

44.jpg

The monk's accommodation, not exactly 5 star.

45.jpg

Spirit house to warn off evil spirits.

46.jpg

47.jpg

Back in the cool forest sections as the temperatures rose.

48.jpg

49.jpg

This small run down Karen village looked to have several attempts at creating some small resorts but would make a perfect camping spot.

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

On my camping list in the near future.

54.jpg

Back out in the open countryside and smoke-free views for the time being.

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

Tham Pha Thai NP also has a great camping area and totally empty.

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

The rangers station near Than Pha Thai peak elevation 1043 m.

63.jpg

Not sure what this building is, I have pasted before and groups of cyclists had been stopping here.

64.jpg

65.jpg

Perhaps the most enjoyable section, where the trails opens up and you can push on.

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

No bulldust and no leaves make for good riding.

71.jpg

72.jpg

The first of the Mae Kae waterfalls

73.jpg

There is a small shop here selling pot noddles but strangely nothing to drink.

75.jpg

76.jpg

The second not so impressive but later in the season its spectacular.

74.jpg

77.jpg

From here its a long bulldust section to reach the pavement at Ban Pong before hitting the HWY 1 marking the end of the fun and the return back home, another enjoyable day in riding paradise.

78.jpg

GPX viewer

Attachments

• south 120 loop .GPX
    1.5 MB · Views: 206
Great report and pictures Bob, the Sony??
Actually the last couple with the waterfall are from the Sony the others from a Panasonic Lumix FT 4

Looks great. Looking forward to riding this one. May take a little longer though.

So after the rain season you get the smoke season?!
When does the smoke season generally start and how long does it last? Until the rain season?

Usually starts around the end of February and continues to the end of April when we start to get our first thunder storms as the temperature peaks. Expect this year to be pretty bad as we have so little rain and everything is so very dry.

TMT19, actually after the rain season is the cold season, at the end of the cold season the smoke period starts till end of April as Bob mentioned which marks the peak of the hot season. So there is 3 seasons and one smoke period that overlaps from cold to hot season.

Thanks for the clarification guys! We were looking at doing our trip a bit sooner, but i'll guess we'll stick to November then.

Back
Top Bottom