Satun-Fucking Around At The Border All Day 10/2/2014

Captain_Slash

Community Manager
Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
I was woken about 5am by the speakers from the local Mosque and wasnt too upset as I wanted an early start.
I was packed had my breakfast and was waiting outside the bank for when it opened, travellers cheques changed, Malaysian currency purchased and I was off
IMG_4102.jpg
I stopped to pay the girl for my insurance and to retrieve my phone then on to Thai immigration, the insurance cost 800 Baht for the month not 1000 that I was quoted yesterday
At the border and absolutely nobody waiting, this was totally at odds with the almighty queue there yesterday.
I quickly exited Thailand and rode through to the Malaysian Immigration expecting to be through in record time.
At the Malaysian side I was told I needed my insurance, Thai driving licence and two green book pages photocopied.
To get this I had to go back through into Thailand to where I bought the insurance but nobody seemed to care about me going to and fro a couple of times.
With this I went back and then it was decided I needed the green book translated into English.
The Malaysians seemed to think the insurance girl could do this as did the Thai officials, sadly she cannot.
The Immigration officials on both sides bent over backwards to help me by making phone calls but in the end it was apparent I had to go back to Satun to get it done at the Land Transport Office
IMG_4104.jpg
So anyone crossing over at the border crossing here do yourself a favour and get one of these from the office at N06.65339 E100.08745, they only cost 25 Baht and save you a lot of hassle.
I hear people say they have just crossed at Sadao with nothing asked for, I have only ever crossed over into Malaysia here and this is the procedure.
My next problem will be that my insurance is only for 30 days so I will only get an ICP for 30 days, when I renew the insurance I can renew the ICP but will I have to get another one of these forms again
IMG_4107.jpg
Food time at N06.60914 E100.06455
IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg
No I cant eat all of that
IMG_4110.jpg
I have never eaten raw cabbage with it before and it was a nice combination, 50 Baht the lot

With this I went back and then it was decided I needed the green book translated into English....

but will I have to get another one of these forms again

I always understood those letters to be good for the life of the bike ownership. They are the replacement to the purple book / ITP so those used to be long term also.

Thats the same letter the UK RAC want to issue a carnet on a Thai bike BTW.

I always understood those letters to be good for the life of the bike ownership. They are the replacement to the purple book / ITP so those used to be long term also.

Thats the same letter the UK RAC want to issue a carnet on a Thai bike BTW.

Thats interesting to know

"I always understood those letters to be good for the life of the bike ownership. They are the replacement to the purple book / ITP so those used to be long term also"

Not true. When first issued on a vehicle, the ITP was valid until the next road tax expiration date. You could extend the period of validity two times before needing to get a new purple book.

Stand corrected..

Did they make you get a romanized plate sticker ?? I have crossed at Sadao (loads) and padang baser (once) and didnt bother with the whole process at Sadao, they used to just let you breeze through without enforcement.. But I did notice that cars that did it had a sticker put on which had the Thai plate romanized for the malay use.

Stand corrected..

Did they make you get a romanized plate sticker ?? I have crossed at Sadao (loads) and padang baser (once) and didnt bother with the whole process at Sadao, they used to just let you breeze through without enforcement.. But I did notice that cars that did it had a sticker put on which had the Thai plate romanized for the malay use.

I had to get one three years ago so I got one done anyway but I think it was needed

The same thing kind of thing happened to me at Satun - I have roman stickers on my front windscreen and rear panniers - and i rode through, picked up my insurance which was a doddle ( I already had a copy of the translation ) the girls prepared all my copies and placed it in a plastic sleeve.

I checked out of Thailand, into Malaysia then to JPJ office who checked my plates - where was the rear plate ? It was on my rear pannier .. At home !!

I just walked back over the border to the insurance shop who made one for me .. Like you say, no one bats and eyelid that you are crossing without a passport stamp.

This post has a good message - some will say that you can do without the translation at some borders - it's not worth the trouble, Do it once a year and forget.

I make a point of paying my tax and going inside to order another translation on the same day. I also include a copy with my pack of photocopied documents to enter Laos, I don't know if it's necessary but they always take a copy from the documents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom