Sam phan bohk I – Landscape and monks

Gerhardveer

Bikes
Yamaha Dragstar 1100cc classic / Honda Phantom
Sam phan bohk I – Landscape and monks

A really dreamlike route for bikers in eastern Eesan starts in Khong Chiam ( there where Mae Nam Mun / Mae Nam Chi flows into Mekong river - "Mae Nam song si" = two colour river) - goes to Pha Taem ( rock plateau with a breathtaking ancient cliff and a phantastic view to Mekong plain and Laos). Last station is Sam Pan Bohk with it's phantastic river-landscape. You should stay for two overnight-stays ( one in Khong Chiam and one in Sam Pan Bohk) to have enough time to enjoy the scene and - specially for Sam Pan Bohk - in the dry season when Mekong has low water to see the rocks...

Who wants, can continue passing Kemmarat to Mukdahan - if still more time:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/thailand-ride-reports/3575-2012-bueng-khong-long-phu-tok.html

Khong Chiam: 15.318521, 105.498413 - +15° 19' 6.68", +105° 29' 54.29"
Pha Team : 15.399280, 105.507832 - +15° 23' 57.41", +105° 30' 28.20"
Sam Pan Bohk : 15.823037, 105.365278 - +15° 49' 22.93", +105° 21' 55.00"

"3000 holes" - you surely could add one or tw "0" more, it still would't enough! The rapids of Mekong north of the wellknown Pha Taem Nationalpark are the most fascinating river landscape I've ever seen. Mekong here has to pass a some kilometers long narrow section where it flows during the rainy seasons with high speed which makes a high erosion. The sandstone has different hard layers which therefore are eroded with different intensity - that's why big blocks and plates break down at erosion banks. Consequence: breathtaking rock formations! Where single blocks persist in dips of the rocky surface and are moved by burbels deep and round wholes are generated - the "bohks". In the dry season when the water flows up to eight meters deeper, you can see the result.
The first time I've been there I had good luck to meet some monks there who invited me to make make a boat trip with them.

Part one: The monks in their orange cowls in that landscape of reddish sandstone in the soft light of the evening - it was a dream....

Part II: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...%96-rocky-banks-golden-morning-fishermen.html

Part III: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...n-bohk-iii-%96-going-boat-rocky-beauties.html

sampanbohk1.jpg

Not my shoes, but mine looked similar after walking there - next day without....

sampanbohk2.jpg

The resort of Song Khon at the beginning of the rapids (look the huge tree right)

sampanbohk3.jpg

humans are small...

sampanbohk4.jpg

sampanbohk5.jpg

IMG_2329_E-1Ds-IIIWEB_zps3fde6cc0.jpg

EK200308WEB_zps2ebac337.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

river landscape
sampanbohk6.jpg

sampanbohk7.jpg

sampanbohk8.jpg

sampanbohk9.jpg

in the dry seasons they make gardens on the sedimented soil - each year the same game...

sampanbohk9a.jpg

sampanbohk9b.jpg

sampanbohk9c.jpg

morning

sampanbohk10.jpg

sampanbohk11.jpg

sampanbohk12.jpg

sampanbohk13.jpg

sampanbohk14.jpg

sampanbohk15.jpg

sampanbohk16.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Mekong-buddhas

sampanbohk17.jpg

sampanbohk18.jpg

sampanbohk19.jpg

sampanbohk20.jpg

sampanbohk21.jpg

sampanbohk22.jpg

sampanbohk23.jpg

sampanbohk24.jpg

sampanbohk25.jpg

sampanbohk26.jpg

sampanbohk27.jpg

sampanbohk28.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

sampanbohk29.jpg

sampanbohk30.jpg

sampanbohk31.jpg

sampanbohk32.jpg

sampanbohk33.jpg

sampanbohk34.jpg

sampanbohk35.jpg

sampanbohk36.jpg

sampanbohk37.jpg

sampanbohk38.jpg

sampanbohk39.jpg

sampanbohk40.jpg

sampanbohk41.jpg

Nice pics, thanks. I also went there and was quite impressed with the roads and scenery from ubon to Muk. A nice area to tour and wander. I only took a quick look at sam pan bok, after seeing your pics I wish i would have stayed for a day.

Had another look and really like how you captured the monks with one being the worldly type busy talking on his mobile phone and the other monk sitting there quietly meditating on the rock

Terrific pics, many thanks for posting.

Your camera equipment cost more than the bike right? ;)

Back
Top Bottom