Sai Yok Trails, Kanchanaburi

CraigBKK

Bikes
Honda CRF 1000L, 300L, SH 150
Over the past few weeks I've been exploring the trails to the west of the Kwae Noi River in the Sai Yok district, close to the Burmese border.

Sai Yok Border Crossings.jpg

G0011844_zpsl0a6slve.jpg

On Saturday I reached the Police checkpoint close to the border that leads to two interesting border points, the trail straight ahead for the Tao Dam Temple, with an Italian abbot, and the lefthand trail for Khao Pla Noi, a 1,060 m mountain peak near Myeik, Tanintharyi, both about 10kms away.

7cc1fd71ba29c81db8371bf23e693d11_zpszog1eaxd.jpg

The temple is nothing special in terms of it's building but the location, next to a hill over which lies Burma and the trail to it, which is a scenic ride through bamboo forests with evidence of wild elephants and the crossing of many (currently dry) streams, makes it a worthwhile destination.

13dd8727fc0436d3882a9adf3b39cd2d_zpszl7mg7pd.jpg

At the Police outpost at Khao Pla Noi the Burmese army huts can be clearly seen (in the photo below they are on the top of the hill between the building legs). The wind is cool and refreshing 'up there' at a relatively high altitude and again the ride is scenic and challenging in parts due to the rocky trail. This is a popular destination for Thai 4x4 drivers and Enduro riders. The policeman on duty initially didn't want me travelling there, quoting safety concerns but once a convey of off-road vehicles arrived he let me go off ahead.

a343fdf09ef2e44de7b1161de7e9d038_zpswtcod3h6.jpg

Below is a selection of photos taken from a GoPro attached to the front of my bike to give you a sense of the area and trails.

G0075175_zpsfwqaul7s.jpg

G0052791_zpsxa9ydceo.jpg

G0042436_zpsuakkn35e.jpg

G0075647_zpsbitw5ktk.jpg

G0061258_zpsc5drnmrk.jpg

G0049180_zpszmj13qax.jpg

G0048984_zpszdqh5c1q.jpg

G0048228_zpsyo9kkeut.jpg

G0047982_zpsivautzte.jpg

Very interesting area Craig wish it was a lot closer to Chiang Rai i would be over this weekend :scooter:

BTW is the Yuk coffee as bad as it sounds ?

Very interesting area Craig wish it was a lot closer to Chiang Rai i would be over this weekend :scooter:

BTW is the Yuk coffee as bad as it sounds ?

It sounds better in Thai!

I came down with bad cramp between Khao Pla Noi and my return to the police checkpoint. I was carrying a 6L bottle of water on my bike's rear rack as I was caught short and badly dehydrated near the Ranger's Station2 the previous week. So I was drinking lots but being so hot the cramp still got me. After resting it went but returned just as I was crossing the river before the coffee shop. I had to stop and rest. The coffee was actually very good and the owner friendly. Set me up for the 45km ride back to Kanchanaburi town, arriving back around 1830, which completed a long (12hr+) gruelling day, with both the heat and the rocky terrain.

Yes the hot weather can creep up on you pretty quick as u found out a few weeks ago. I always carry some rehydration salts too.

Yes the hot weather can creep up on you pretty quick as u found out a few weeks ago. I always carry some rehydration salts too.

Yep. I popped into the police hut on top of the hill on the Thai side of Khao Pla Noi to ask for a glass to mix my pack of rehydration salts in. Had a nice chat with them. They seemed a little dehydrated themselves having spent the previous night up with the Burmese soldiers getting on the piss!

So much for the policeman's warning at the lower checkpoint about the dangerous Burmese soldiers :shake:

Looks like you had a very interesting weekend that i miss .
Hope next time i can join you .
Go home friday come back on 28.5. stay until end of june .

Great out there isn't it Craig? Kanchanaburi has a lot of exploring to offer

I remember when I said I was renting a room there for a month three years ago someone questioned what I was going to do for the month, little do some know how much enexplored terrain there is to be found out there

Back
Top Bottom