RIP Auke Koopmans

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
It is with immense sadness we must announce that Auke "lone rider" passed away yesterday after a period of prolonged illness. His family have been informed and making plans to fly over to Thailand to make funeral arrangements.

Auke had been one of the key players in the formation of Ride Asia and was an incredible encyclopaedia of knowledge that helped many riders travelling in Laos and Thailand, his mapping work was legendary, his mapping of Laos in GPS and paper format as well as Northern Thailand produced some of the best maps ever published.

As well as his untiring mapping work he was also closely involved in the TLCB Thai Laos Cambodian Brotherhood, helping less fortunate families and schools in the region.

12015117_1086662991358864_6248770564172194966_o.jpg

Auke will leave a legacy behind him and it is hoped Ride Asia as a community will continue to grow as he would have wished, Auke lived his life to the fullest and to the end mapping new trails for us all to enjoy, he will not be forgotten.

RIP Auke

More information to follow

RIP my friend.

This is very sad news, Auke will be missed and remembered by many.
Rust zacht Auke.

Upset to hear about Auke passing. He was a genuine person and always there to help with advice on travelling and had a great knowledge of Thailand and Laos. He will be missed by all.

Amazing man who had so many anecdotes to share. I was fortunate to be Auke's friend & will miss his friendship greatly. He sent me a photo of storm clouds over Vang Vieng just before he left us. Auke loved to help others. A Heart of Gold. I'll surely miss those Tuesday nights Auke. Bless your memory.

Geez, what a shock....that is so sad. What is going on in Thailand? Another expat I knew of (who had nothing to do with riding but was an avid promoter of healthy living and farming) passed away just last week of a heart attack.

Auke was incredible when it came to providing information on northern Thailand and Laos. Seems he was constantly over there.

R.I.P good friend, a true gentleman in every sense of the word who helped anyone and everyone whenever and however he could and never for personal gain

Happy to have met Auke on two or three TLCB Lao trips last year. Auke has built up plenty of good karma by selflessly helping others and sharing his knowledge and expertise with others... and staying at the wheel until his last breath. I'm sure he is high up in the spiritual realms now and reaping what he has sowed in service to mankind. And may he still be able to help us and others in the worlds to come...

Very sad for everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him. My thoughts are with his family.

Being asked a lot about funeral arrangements for Auke, HIs son is currently on his way back to CM with his father, expected to arrive early morning. I will update everyone with accurate details as we have them but suggest the funeral may well be Monday or Tuesday next week.

Dear Family and Friends,

As you may have already heard, my father Auke Koopmans has passed suddenly in Nong Khai whilst travelling back from Laos. He is currently back home in Chiang Mai, where a Thai ceremony will be held in honour of the country he fell in love with more than 35 years ago.

It’ll be a three-night service starting tonight (22nd) at 20:00 until the 24th of June, and Monday the 25th will be the cremation; time is yet to be confirmed. Please join us if you can at:

Wat Puak Pia
50 Thipanet Rd, Tambon Hai Ya, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
Google Maps
Crematorium
Hai Ya Cemetery
Hai Ya Rd, Tambon Hai Ya, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
https://goo.gl/maps/8kVEdDhwqZL2Op
His passing was swift and of natural causes whilst doing what he loved: travel. We’re deeply saddened and miss him immensely and pray that his adventures will continue on, possibly reuniting with his soulmate, my mother, who has also recently passed.
Love,
Sietse and Family

35844742_10155313575730047_5289917640012201984_n.jpg

The link for the cemetery is broken here is the correct Google link.

Google Maps

GPS co ords.

Funeral service N18.77942° E98.98107°

Cremation service N18.77382° E98.97899°

Last edited:
What a wonderful photo.
And a wonderful man.
See you and family there tonight Sietse.
Ron

Dear Family and Friends,
This is an update about the details of Auke Koopmans’ cremation on Monday the 25th.
The first ceremony will start at 10:00. It will be held at the same temple as stated in my previous post.
We’ll have lunch together at noon. Food will be provided for all guests.
Then at 13:00 we will proceed to the crematorium (address also in previous post) for the final rites.
Love,
Sietse and Family

Please attend to pay your respects if you can.

Wat Puak Pia

Google Maps

Hai Ya Cemetery

Google Maps

Last edited:
Unfortunately I will not be able to pay my respects personally tomorrow in Chiang Mai yet I wish to assure Auke's family that he earned more than my highest respect as a human being and a selfless man sharing his knowledge and expertise.

He is missed not only by his family but by his countless friends as well as all those who enjoyed reading his updates on this very website.

People who attended Auke's funeral today, shared their memories of a very special man who will forever be in our hearts & minds.

Farewell Auke.

AukesTeam.jpg

A moving tribute posted Today by Sietse, Aukes son.

Dear All,
I haven’t even had the chance to thank you for your love and support the first time around during my Mother’s passing, you were there again for my father shortly after. Please let me take this opportunity to express my gratitude, although it doesn’t quite equate to your immense kindness.
You see, my parents weren’t just parents to me, but two remarkable pillars in my life; my “Supermom” as I’d like to call her and my hero understatedly titled “Pap.” As far as I can remember, they’ve always taught me the value of humility and generosity that continues in their legacy, proven by your heartwarming anecdotes.
Only in adulthood have I come to realize the magical upbringing I’ve had that was only made possible through sacrifice, dedication, and of course, love. It’s been such a gift, and if I would only become a fraction of what they were, I’d consider myself lucky.
But honestly, I still have to find peace with fate as we’re not seeing each other eye to eye at the moment. But I’m counting my blessings in the meantime because despite it all, I’ve never been closer to family and have even been reunited with long, nearly lost friends.
Thank you for going out of your ways to help make my life easier during these miserable times. Thank you for dropping your commitments and helping us navigate foreign turf. Thank you for traveling across the world to be with us. And thank you for just being there. I couldn’t have done it without you.
Lastly, I’d like to imagine my parents together on a trip somewhere beyond our comprehension, as the dynamic duo I’ve always known them to be. Pap marking waypoints and Supermom keeping them both fed and hydrated, and occasionally stopping at wondrous sites void of earthly maladies or barriers. Should heaven need a map, they’ve got just the right man to do it. And should they require a feisty matriarch, it’s their lucky day as well.
We miss you terribly, and we love you even more.
Love,
Sietse and Family

36795470_10155343468075047_2232081026123825152_n.jpg

A moving tribute posted Today by Sietse, Aukes son.

Dear All,
I haven’t even had the chance to thank you for your love and support the first time around during my Mother’s passing, you were there again for my father shortly after. Please let me take this opportunity to express my gratitude, although it doesn’t quite equate to your immense kindness.
You see, my parents weren’t just parents to me, but two remarkable pillars in my life; my “Supermom” as I’d like to call her and my hero understatedly titled “Pap.” As far as I can remember, they’ve always taught me the value of humility and generosity that continues in their legacy, proven by your heartwarming anecdotes.
Only in adulthood have I come to realize the magical upbringing I’ve had that was only made possible through sacrifice, dedication, and of course, love. It’s been such a gift, and if I would only become a fraction of what they were, I’d consider myself lucky.
But honestly, I still have to find peace with fate as we’re not seeing each other eye to eye at the moment. But I’m counting my blessings in the meantime because despite it all, I’ve never been closer to family and have even been reunited with long, nearly lost friends.
Thank you for going out of your ways to help make my life easier during these miserable times. Thank you for dropping your commitments and helping us navigate foreign turf. Thank you for traveling across the world to be with us. And thank you for just being there. I couldn’t have done it without you.
Lastly, I’d like to imagine my parents together on a trip somewhere beyond our comprehension, as the dynamic duo I’ve always known them to be. Pap marking waypoints and Supermom keeping them both fed and hydrated, and occasionally stopping at wondrous sites void of earthly maladies or barriers. Should heaven need a map, they’ve got just the right man to do it. And should they require a feisty matriarch, it’s their lucky day as well.
We miss you terribly, and we love you even more.
Love,
Sietse and Family

View attachment 63197
I don't know you or your family but that is a beautiful piece of writing and I am sure your parents were very proud of you. The love they shared and the love in your family shines through in your tribute Thank you for sharing and I send you best wishes always.

Back
Top Bottom