riding trials in HK

brody713

Bikes
KTM XCFW250, Beta Ev0 250, KTM Duke 640
I moved to HK (from Canada) about 6 months ago for a one year contract that may well turn into a permanent thing. As soon as I arrived I realized, with great sorrow, that I would not be riding enduro anymore.... There just isn't enough space here and the general culture in HK is WAAAYYY too safety oriented to allow anything riskier than crossing the street on a red light. Serioulsy, HK is unreal when it comes to safety. There was an MX club with a decent track as I was told but this was closed by the government last year. Too risky for HK.

But, I found a pretty cool trials scene. Some of the local guys make it look like the laws of gravity don't apply to them! I decided to buy a trials bike and I have been having weekend fun ever since. The club has a cool park with man-made sections and we also ride up the mountains close by the club on sunday afternoon. Here are a few pics:

My baby (Beta Rev3 270):
IMG_0086.jpg

Some hillclimb in the back. You know it's steep when your climbing standing on the bike with your jewels stuck to the handlebars and the front wheel won't stay on the ground...
P1010030.jpg

Cool picture taken on top of a mountain with Yuen Long in the background:
P4100015.jpg

Must have been a joy to find the trials riding guys! Hope to see you in our neck of the woods (jungle) soon.

Brody -

What are the most popular big bikes in Hong Kong, i suppose we have visions that the place is cluttered with BMW 1200 GS Adventure's, is this true?

Also what are prices like there? say BMW 1200GS, KTM 690 R, Honda CBR 1000 RR etc...

It might be an interesting option for bringing bikes to south east Asia on temporary import. Can a foreigner register a bike there?

Well, first off, Hong Kong is far from being cluttered with any kind of big bikes! The speed limits on highways vary from 70 to 90km/h with photo-radar every 50ft.... no kidding!

What most locals ride here are big scooters. You'll see the occasional Yamaha R6, CBR600 or Ducati if you go to Tai Mo Shan (highest hill in HK with a superb twisty road that crosses it, renowned for road racing). As far as other bigger bikes, besides my own KTM Duke, I have only seen one other KTM 690 Adventure.

As for prices, I think in general bikes are relatively cheaper that Canada where I come from. You can make your own mind by looking at this website which is pretty much THE reference for HK:

http://www.ibike.com.hk/

As far as registering a bike, it was dead easy and cheap for me but I had just received my temporary residency card (I've only been in HK for 7 months). It only cost about 400$HKD to register a bike, no matter the bike or size of it.

As for registering a bike by a foreigner, I'll ask my friendly neighborhood KTM dealer and come back to you..

Your Beta looks great. I am riding an older one here in Chiangmai, a 1995 Techno and it is a lot better than I will ever be, but it is had not to hanker after a newer model. What are the zip ties for on the right fork leg?

Back
Top Bottom