Riding Pulau Penang Malaysia

Mark Rossi

After an intense few days visiting Triumph and racing a off-road endurance event in Pattaya, we said our goodbyes to this Wild One the James Dean impersonator, spread our wings and flew the coup out of LOS

P7160104.jpg

Distanced by a 1hr 40minute Airasia flight from Bangkok and serviced by a small sleepy international airport is Pulau Penang, a great cheap get away.
"Honky" an excited young man
P7160100.jpg

The Malaysian island is about 22km from south to north and 12km from west to east so a Honda dream was our vehicle of choice to cruise the islands roadways.

penangmap.jpg

Hooking up the rentals
DSC04221.jpg

DSC04223.jpg

Headed of from George town in a anti-Cristian, I mean anti clockwise direction we circumnavigated the Island, With my trusty GPS and newly loaded Malaysia map,( a big THANKS to Auke for the map) forgotten and left in my pickup in BKK we would have to wing it.
The Honky, perfect size for a prehistoric Honda dream
P7150039.jpg

Our first stop was Batu Feringhi then on to Teluk Bahang a small fishing village on the north west point of the island
Batu feringhi photo taken on a previous trip
DSC00918.jpg

Teluk Bahang fishing village
DSC00864.jpg

DSC00936.jpg

The curvaceous coastal and mountain roads where just what the doctor ordered.
Honky puts the dream through its paces
P7150046.jpg

PICT5383.jpg

PICT5384.jpg

from the elevated view of the mountains the views over the Anderman sea and city are stupendous
DSC04234.jpg

However we sometimes needed to ride on the high road to get a unobstructed view
DSC04239.jpg

looking down on George town
PICT5390.jpg

Honky passing a fetishistic fruit stand
P7150043.jpg

We wound down out of the mountains near the airport then headed straight back up to cut across to George town through the mountain by-pass, here we visited the Kek Lok Si Temple in Ayer Itam on our decent into the city.
P7150065.jpg

Kek Lok Si has some amazing ceramic statues
P7150054.jpg

P7150075.jpg

P7150077.jpg

P7150063.jpg

Back to George town and our tour of the island completed it was now time to absorb ourselves in motos at Planet motorcycles a special treat for us who have relocate in Thailand.
P7140019.jpg

The RC8 and whatever Honky's on
P7140021.jpg

Spiders have 8 legs and Planet cycles has 8 Spiders
P7140016.jpg

Something for the old boys
P7140023.jpg

Something for middle aged
P7160087.jpg

something for the mechanics, must have been every puller here to disable all Ktm's
P7140026.jpg
g
Honky's previous exploits were not brought up before unleashing him on a 690 SMR, however as he accelerated away at maximum revs in each gear I did turn to see a set of raised eyebrows questioning my vouching his credibility
P7160097.jpg

My turn
P7160089.jpg

As any normal person does I made a illegal u-turn at a traffic light and the front wheel lofted slightly above the ground on acceleration through the first 3 gears as I made my way back to KTM headquarters. On disembarkation through the airport Honky picked up a local paper to read a Malay had been jailed for 8 months for the same precise riding skills, amazing!!
P7160093.jpg

Honky giving admiration to the RC8
P7140010.jpg

A great day which led us into a great night, but not first without stopping in for some foot relief
P7140037.jpg

The food in Penang is an amazing mix of Indian, Malay and Chinese and is well documented for its culinary exploits and there not kidding when they say its a multi cultural melting pot as we found out being An Aussie and a Pom in Malaysia staying in a Chinese run guest house, drinking Singaporean beers and eating Indian food while talking to Vietnamese girls in English?

The next day out we were a little exhausted the first time I have actually desired a flight to be longer so I can catch some Zzz's
The Honky in-flight, maybe dreaming of Indian curry's or maybe dreaming of a Vietnamese noodling
P7160101.jpg

Very nice report Mr. Rossi.

The KTM dea;er in Penang is on my list of visits after the dry season. I agree about the food there, i think some of the best in the world.

Back
Top Bottom