Riders licence in Myanmar

oldbloke

Bikes
Aprilia SL750 Shiver in Aus., rentals in LOS
I just discovered this bit of advice on the Australian DFAT site for travellers. It advises that an International Permit is not sufficient , and you need a local motorcycle licence ..:? I was never queried when I was there a couple of years ago.. but I wonder if it could have nasty consequences with local authorities [ and travel insurance !! ] if things went wrong!?
http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/asia/south-east/Pages/myanmar.aspx
Thoughts?.. And how do tour groups manage?

Your travel insurance would say something along the line of "ensuring you obey laws of the country you're in", so if the country you're in says you need a local licence & you don't have one, then it's an out for the travel insurance not to pay

Your travel insurance would say something along the line of "ensuring you obey laws of the country you're in", so if the country you're in says you need a local licence & you don't have one, then it's an out for the travel insurance not to pay

Yes, that might be true but that would limit your options as getting a local licence in Laos or Vietnam is difficult to say the least. I would assume that if you have an IDP from your own country should be OK even-though I know that not all countries may or may not accept the IDP.

Sadly, that's my thinking regarding the travel insurance, too, Pounce. I guess you'd look for a policy that just specified an IDP rather than "licence valid in the country" . Insurers'll always look for outs - there's plenty that even put in nasty clauses limiting you to less than 200cc - not such an issue in Myanmar, but quite limiting for Thailand. I've no immediate plans to ride in Myanmar again, but I thought it was worth a 'heads up" for others planning a trip.
But I've just dug around a bit more and found there ARE some insurers who will cover you without a motorcycle licence at all ( provided you have a car licence ), if you only ride <50cc . Now that seems more of a risk to me than insuring experienced riders who venture into countries that have funny regulations! But I guess I'm not an actuary...

It was never requested.
I had the same experience :), though I carried an IDP, and I guess it would never be likely to happen unless you got involved in an accident of some kind.

Yes, that might be true but that would limit your options as getting a local licence in Laos or Vietnam is difficult to say the least. I would assume that if you have an IDP from your own country should be OK even-though I know that not all countries may or may not accept the IDP.

Sadly, that's my thinking regarding the travel insurance, too, Pounce. I guess you'd look for a policy that just specified an IDP rather than "licence valid in the country" . Insurers'll always look for outs - there's plenty that even put in nasty clauses limiting you to less than 200cc - not such an issue in Myanmar, but quite limiting for Thailand. I've no immediate plans to ride in Myanmar again, but I thought it was worth a 'heads up" for others planning a trip.
But I've just dug around a bit more and found there ARE some insurers who will cover you without a motorcycle licence at all ( provided you have a car licence ), if you only ride <50cc . Now that seems more of a risk to me than insuring experienced riders who venture into countries that have funny regulations! But I guess I'm not an actuary...

This is where it gets confusing as well.
As an example, the IDP is a valid option for riding in Laos, Thailand & Cambodia as they recognise the 1949 convention.
An IDP is not valid in Vietnam as they recognise the 1968 convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

There has just been a large discussion on this here as no one really understood it after it was pointed out by a bloke who is in the insurance business that a big group touring Vietnam wouldn't be covered by their travel insurance. There are options but it involves negotiating a specific policy for countries that recognise the 1968 convention.
Some of the confusion comes from the map, it says Vietnam doesn't recognise the 1949 convention but an IDP is acceptable, where as it isn't.

From the Aus gov smart traveller site
http://smartraveller.gov.au/countries/asia/south-east/pages/vietnam.aspx#local_travel

Driver's licence
You must have a valid Vietnamese driver's licence to drive in Vietnam, including for motorcycles of 50cc or more. International Driver's Permits issued in Australia are not recognised in Vietnam. Fines for driving without a valid licence vary.

Hope this made it more confusing

I use CGU
https://www.cgu.com.au/personal/travel-insurance
Covers you for any sized bbike as long as you have a valid licence in the country you're from (conditions apply: IDP etc)

Back
Top Bottom