Regular petrol being phased out

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Breaking News:

Retail outlets will continue selling regular petrol at pumps until the end of the year, giving Thai motorists a couple of extra months to prepare for the change, which is intended to promote greater use of ethanol-based fuels, Energy Minister Arak Chonlatanon said on Thursday (4 October 2012).

Originally, petrol 91 was scheduled to be phased out in January this year, then it was postponed until October because local refineries were not ready for the change.

The ministry will mandate that petrol 91 be phased out in December 2012 in line with its policy to promote greater use of bio fuel in transportation.

WOW.. Sure makes owning a smoker harder...

NONE of my bikes likes gasohol.. 4 bikes..

Lot of those ole Harley boys not gonna be too happy.

I have been hearing this story on and off for maybe 5 years.. I simply dont believe that it will be stopped.

What, every grasscutter and weedwhacker is now useless ?? Every rural farmer and his old dash has to bin it ??

Theres simply too many vehicles on the rd that wont take gasohol fuels.. The voter backlash and outcry would be large.

A lot of old cars and bikes around that rely on the stuff.

91 E10 should be ok if or when it happens.

I've been using Gasohol 95 in the 2T KTM withouth any problems so far. The carb takes 5 mins to get off and clean. In fact all my bikes are now on Gasohol95, you just have to regularly clean the carbs with a contact cleaner. So far so good. Agree though there will be a lot of old machines need the Benzine because of the way Ethanol perishes certain types of rubber and plastics. You still should be able to buy your own barrel of race fuel from certain outlets, no?

The voter backlash and outcry would be large.

I think you're massively over estimating the Thai's "give-a shitometer" readings here, I doubt 99.9% would even notice and less than the remainder would care.

Supercar owners wont be pleased though, remember a few years ago a guy in Pattaya filled his Fazza with 91 instead of 95, Ferrari had to send a mechanic to drain the tank and all the fuel lines!

Personally I hope it doesn't happen, oh for say, 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom