Registering a motorbike in my name in Vietnam

terrytreks

Bikes
scooters
Hi,

I'm considering a pretty ambitious trip starting in HCMC, crossing into Laos, Cambodia, and returning to Vietnam. Since I'd be crossing multiple borders, I'd feel better having the bike registered in my name. Does anybody know if it's possible to register a new bike, probably a Honda Future 125, in my name?

Otherwise, I could just buy a used bike, and confine my trip to Vietnam's borders. There's certainly a lot to see here. I'm still trying to decide what I'll doo.

terrytreks

Not sure about it but it seems that most of the foreign tourists who buy a bike (new or second hand) don't bother to register the bike in their name as it seems that you need to be a resident in Vietnam to be able to get the bike in your name. As long as you get the registration card (small laminated card slightly larger than a credit-card) and preferably also a "Letter of Transfer" when you buy a bike, you should be good to go and have no serious problems with the police.

See also www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/asia-south-east-asia-mainland/topics/buying-and-riding-a-motorcycle-in-vietnam and also here:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/vietnam-information/4329-how-legitimate-vietnam-drivng-license-bike-insurance-ownership-papers.html

VN riding

Hi,

I'm considering a pretty ambitious trip starting in HCMC, crossing into Laos, Cambodia, and returning to Vietnam. Since I'd be crossing multiple borders, I'd feel better having the bike registered in my name. Does anybody know if it's possible to register a new bike, probably a Honda Future 125, in my name?

Otherwise, I could just buy a used bike, and confine my trip to Vietnam's borders. There's certainly a lot to see here. I'm still trying to decide what I'll doo.

terrytreks

While I rode 41,000 miles around Vietnam on my Harley Davidson, I met tourists who bought motos in Da Lat for a ride to Hanoi then into Laos and Cambodia for a return to Da Lat and sell back. Tourism is a big chunk of those country's economy. You would be one of thousands and have a great time. Check out my web site, www.harleytracks.com for photos and an introduction to my book that I published just last month, "Harley Tracks: Across Vietnam to The Wall."

Back
Top Bottom