Rainy season in Laos with Keld and many landslides

Lightemup said:
Excuse me for using the "generic" name AK47.
Wasn't aware I was going to be questioned on it from experts.

Well sorry to say, but you're both wrong.
It's a standard length barrel. 16 inch or so.
It has been fitted with an AKM muzzle break tho, but since the Laos Army has only AK-47's from Russia and Type 56's from China, I would guess it's a Type 56 fitted with an AKM brake.

I have personally carried and shot all of the following: AK-47, AKM, AKMS, RPK and RPD's on some contracts.

Hey Keld - Awesome to have another guy to chat guns with. :DD I'm big into Soviet militaria myself and have a few AK variants in 7.62 and 5.45 that see a lot of rounds when I'm in the States.

If that was a 16" barrel with a long muzzle attachment, the extra length would be added in front of the sight post. In your picture, I don't see that. Also the AKM has a very short slant muzzle brake.

Here's a picture of my own 16" barrel Romanian AK-47 (7.62) build with AKM muzzle brake. It adds less than an inch to the overall length and the extra length is added in front of the sight post.

Photo0269.jpg

Do you have a better resolution picture?

Like Max said, with all the hundred's of variants out there produced by ten's of nations in 60+ years of history, who knows what it really is.

I think they are hunters. Seen a few out on their own walking around the countryside

alexuk said:
I think they are hunters. Seen a few out on their own walking around the countryside

I can imagine the guys hunting in auto-mode :D

ThePoMoBro > So many magazines... Are you getting reading for war? lol
Btw, getting a bit out of topic but how do you like the 5.45 in comparison to a 5.56? I've heard Russians consider it more accurate to 400m. For me it sounds more like a hassle to get hand on different ammo sizes.

MastaMax said:
ThePoMoBro > So many magazines... Are you getting reading for war? lol
Btw, getting a bit out of topic but how do you like the 5.45 in comparison to a 5.56? I've heard Russians consider it more accurate to 400m. For me it sounds more like a hassle to get hand on different ammo sizes.

Should keep a few thousand rounds and 10-15 magazines on hand for any rifle you own IMO since it's not much good without something to feed it.

5.45 has way better accuracy at distance than 7.62x39 (drops like a rock) and is easier to shoot accurately because of lower recoil (similar to 5.56). Some interesting ballistics tests on the wounding potential of 5.56 vs 5.45 out there but I don't know much about this. 5.45 got popular in the US a few years ago due to cheap import ammo but long term it won't be so attractive when the surplus rounds dry up.

I'll keep stockpiling 5.56 and 7.62x39 instead.

:MG

I'm wrong. That is definitely a 16" barrel (the short mag threw my perspective off).

Back
Top Bottom