Probably a dumb question, but...................

W

wuming

I am coming to Thailand in February and intend to rent a bike in Chiang Mai, which I will use to ride the Mae Hong Son loop (along with some other rides). My understanding is that you need to leave your passport with the bike rental people. How is it travelling around Thailand with only a scanned passport copy? Will hotels accept this? The police?
Thanks.

they will also take a deposit of (if I remember) 3000baht? up to you. Personally I always keep my passport locked up safe and just carry a copy, make sure you have copy of departure card too. Most everyone will except a copy, even police

I've never known only having a copy of your passport being a problem Neil, especially with the proof of the bike rental contract.

I am coming to Thailand in February and intend to rent a bike in Chiang Mai, which I will use to ride the Mae Hong Son loop (along with some other rides). My understanding is that you need to leave your passport with the bike rental people. How is it travelling around Thailand with only a scanned passport copy? Will hotels accept this? The police?
Thanks.

Do not leave your passport with the rental shop (or any other shop/hotel). Show him your passport and give him a copy of it. If he don't accept that, go to another shop. Only crooks want to keep your passport so they can use that for leverage to extort money when you return.

Back
Top Bottom