prep bike for a trip

Steve Canyon

Bikes
SMT990
I wonder what you guys do to the bike before you leave.....short trips

The bike needs looking at to ensure it will make the Journey without you having to find a shop for break pads or a service lets say...unless you going a really long way...

All periodic maintenance should be up to date and the bike in good working order, that's everything..

Mechanical parts can fail slowly or in the blink of an eye, if you see something that's looking a bit tired, replace it before you leave.

Check all major fasteners for tightness..
Check you oil and water daily

That's about all I do

Am I missing stuff???

Other things i take a look at are:

1. Check the chain, how easy it is to pull a couple of links backwards off the rear sprocket. This gives you and indication of how much life is left in the chain.

2. Check the chain tension, should be about 1.5 inched of slack (it's only going to stretch and get looser, so good to not have it too loose when you leave)

3. Shake both wheels vigorously from side yo side to check for wheel bearing problems

4. Check the site glasses on front and rear brake fluids.

5. Check oil and coolant

I would add for short trips to check tire pressure (especially if you're going to ride with a pillion or without and it's not usual).

Since you mentioned the chain Phil, I was wondering if for long trips, you would carry a chain with you.
I've seen in the tool kit of ADV riders very often a spare chain. I like to travel extra light and I wasn't going to take one with me for my trip around S.E.A. My current chain has only clocked about 7000km and is still in perfect shape, but I wonder if I'll be able to replace it easily if it fails me in the middle of Laos or Cambodia... So take a spare or not ? :geek:

I got about 40,000km out of my last 525 o ring chain on my ktm 990 adv., spraying the chain with grease every 300-400km.

A lot of people carry a spare master link, which gives you some options with a chain problem.

I dont know ANYONE who carries a spare chain, the odds of this being the issue why you're stopped are very low.

What I do is keep a box where i live that has potential replacement part problem solvers in it such as:

fuel pump
fuel pump filters
chain
complete water pump kit with engine gaskets
spare tires
brake pads
all levers
throttle cable
mirror
spark plugs
various fasteners

someone can then send these overnight to me then not holding a trip up.

Back
Top Bottom