Please Help. All electrics shut down when in 1st gear with clutch pulled.

Maoser

I have a CBR250 (2011) with 100k km on it.

With the clutch pulled in in 1st gear, all the electrics will cut out, and come back on about a second later.

It doesn't happen at any other time. And doesn't happen every time. About 1 in 10 times. But it is bladdy dangerous as it happens when I'm pulling out into a lane at a u-turn or junction etc.

I took it to a Honda dealer, they kept it for 4 days, all they did was charge up the battery, and said they took it out each day to try and replicate it, but it never happened. So that was that. No more checking.

I did the Wiggle Test - Start it up and wiggle each cable to see if it cuts out, then you've found what cable is causing it, but to no avail. It didn't cut out.

Checked each cable, nothing is loose or untoward.

Looks like it's on me to find out what the problem is. :(

Is there some electrical sensor or fuse or anything with regards to the clutch or gears that could make all the electrics cut out when in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in/letting it out??

Thank you very much for any help you can give.

Does anybody know if there is such a thing as a cut-out switch or cut-out circuit in the clutch in some motorbikes?

Thank you for any possible info.

Yes, different problem. Their's in the engine stalling while riding, this is all the electrics cutting out when in releasing the clutch in 1st gear.

Side stand switch maybe?
Bike can start, idle etc but when you go to move the switch cuts the motor because it thinks the side stand is down.

There's no side stand cut-out on the CBR250. You can ride all day with it down. Until it flips you off. :D

It happens around one time in ten. Not every time. Not only when starting, when on the road, go to do a u-turn, coming lane is clear, pull out and clonk, all electrics gone and bike cuts out. Starts up a second later when hitting the ignition button.

Only ever happens in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in/being released.

What you mean excactly with all electrics cut out ????

The Ignition ?

Or really everything from lights over indicators , the dashbord and the ignition ?

In second case check the starter relais block that contain the starter relais (what is connect to the clutch switch ) and the Main fuse where all the Power run through . If there is a damage Cable to the Starter relais Block the Clutch switch can when pulled i shorten the main Power from the Main Fuse in the starter relais block to the Fuse block where you have 5 fuses for the different circuts .

If you find a worn place on that Cable to the starter relais you need to cut the plastic hose open to give it a good inspection .
But in that Cable to the Starter relais must be someting wrong , thats the only place where cable that can have that effect you discribe comes together .

Normaly in that case that the clutch switch shorten the Main Power the Main fuse should fail , but you never know .

What you mean excactly with all electrics cut out ????

The Ignition ?

Or really everything from lights over indicators , the dashbord and the ignition ?

In second case check the starter relais block that contain the starter relais (what is connect to the clutch switch ) and the Main fuse where all the Power run through . If there is a damage Cable to the Starter relais Block the Clutch switch can when pulled i shorten the main Power from the Main Fuse in the starter relais block to the Fuse block where you have 5 fuses for the different circuts .

If you find a worn place on that Cable to the starter relais you need to cut the plastic hose open to give it a good inspection .
But in that Cable to the Starter relais must be someting wrong , thats the only place where cable that can have that effect you discribe comes together .

Normaly in that case that the clutch switch shorten the Main Power the Main fuse should fail , but you never know .

Thank you very much for your info.

Yes, all electrical power is lost.

It comes back on about 1 second (or less) later and I can press the ignition button and start the bike again.

Thank you very much. I will pass this info onto the Honda dealer to check/replace these parts.

Does anybody know what these two little cables coming out re the clutch lever are?

image.jpg

They have a rubber cover that I pulled back, and they loop around and connect to the bottom of the same piece.
image.jpg

The small bottom cable.Thank you.

I believe they are sensors of some kind, i am having trouble with mine at the moment where as the bike will not start in gear with the clutch pulled in if they get dirty.

Thank you both very much.

The CBR250 doesn't have a side stand cut-off, you could drive with the stand down until you come off. :D

I believe they are sensors of some kind, i am having trouble with mine at the moment where as the bike will not start in gear with the clutch pulled in if they get dirty.

Thanks.

How do you clean them?

I just did another wiggle test.

Start the bike and then wiggle each wire to see if it cuts out, the only one that did that was the cable coming from the ignition where the key goes, when I was wiggling it at the top of the wire where it connects to the ignition. I didn't really want to wiggle it to hard to be honest. It altered the revs, and made it cut out twice.

I just fired a shit load of wd40 or similar and no issues so far

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

To follow up:

It was the ignition cable connected to the key barrel.

My misdiagnoses about the clutch/1st gear was due to happening when turning at close to full lock. As I was only doing this when turning through traffic, doing a u-turn etc. I'd only be doing this with the clutch pulled in in 1st gear.

The first Wiggle Test seems to had fixed it for a while by adjusting the ignition cable as I wiggled it.

Then it came back a few weeks later.

The second wiggle test started cutting out the power as I wiggle that cable.

I moved it around so that it stopped happening on full lock, and hasn't happened again in the last week.

Seems to be solved.

Thank you all very much for your help. :)

Good to know you cured the fault, another thing to watch out for is the TPS unit which controls the throttle balance, mine got dirty and wet and ended up with the throttle have open for the final leg of my Laos trip which made life interesting...

Back
Top Bottom