Planning to go offroad in Thakhek. Anyone may advise?

moonsoon

Bikes
KTM625SXC
Hi guys. I am living in Nakhonphanom Thailand. About to plan for riding in Thakhek Laos. Collecting for informations about on/offroad route around Thakhek. Anyone may suggest?

moonsoon said:
Hi guys. I am living in Nakhonphanom Thailand. About to plan for riding in Thakhek Laos. Collecting for informations about on/offroad route around Thakhek. Anyone may suggest?

Monsoon --We were down in south Laos a few weeks ago trail riding, some routes ideas in the below trip report, hope it helps.

trail-riding-south-laos-borders-with-steve-mm-t1103.html

There are quite a few loops you can do from Thakhek depending on the time you have, etc. One loop which is done by many tourists is the loop from Thakhek to Gnommalath (all paved), then head north along the Nam Theun reservoir (part paved and part unpaved) to Lak Xao and back to Rd 13 (all paved) and Thakhek.

Another loop is to head west from Thakhek along Rd 12 to Mahaxay where you turn south (unpaved) to Ban Panam and then head east to Bualapha from where you can head north (a bit west of Bualapha - all unpaved) till you reach Rd 12 again near Ban Langkhang near the Vietnam border and then head back to Thakhek.

Another option is to continue from Ban Panam southward to Muang Xaybouathong and then cross the Xe Nam Noy from where you can hear west (all unpaved) along the river till you reach Rd 13 or head further southeast to Vilaboury (Gold/Copper mine) or head south along Rd 28 (also called 1F) till you reach Rd 9 near Sibounheuang/Xethamouak.

Another short loop is to the Blue Lake (north east of Thakhek) and then head south to Tham Phachan and the Muang Phone Stupa and back to Thakhek with a short detour to the Buddha Cave (Tham Pha Fa).

A few road notes:
**The blue lake access is now an improved road and graded.
**Road 1-E between Lak Sao and Nam Theun Dam access road, 23 k's is a, dusty mess
Some of the sites in the area,
Muang Phone Stupa
that.jpg
Local Medicines at Muang Phone Stupa
medicine.jpg
Tham Phachan
cave.jpg
Blue Lake
blue-lake.jpg
Abandoned
church.jpg

Back