Photobucket, Flickr, Smugmug

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
If you take lots of pictures, inevitably you will start to look at some place to store them for posterity, in more recent times Google has stepped up with its own take on picture storage and organising which works pretty good but is not user friendly if you like to post pictures to forums such as Rida Asia.

Photobucket had a major policy change and sneakily held a gun to members heads if they didn't pay a yearly subscription to the site enabling third party hosting, this tactic blew up in their faces and thousands of users abandoned them accusing them of media blackmail. This is the reason you may see a lot of of posts displaying an image such as this on many forums.

60655_10151328655076209_184288343_n.jpg

Many moved to Flickr, which for adding images to forums actually works a lot better and probably around 60% of the images you see on Ride Asia are hosted by Flickr. In the past few days Smugmug has acquired Flickr from Yahoo which has sent rumours flying on many social media sites, Smugmug has been around for some time and offers the photographer many options for editing shots and compiling portfolio's for members to resell.

If your a Flickr account holder you will likely have received this email informing members they have until the 25th of May to accept Smugmug's terms and conditions or you may delete your account if you wish and download your camera roll to your storage device.

Looking at Smugmug's policy on hyperlinks this is what they have to say.

"5. Hyperlinks

You may create a text hyperlink to the Site, provided such link does not portray Flickr or SmugMug or any of its Products or Services in a false, misleading, derogatory or otherwise defamatory manner. This limited right may be revoked by SmugMug at any time. You may not frame the Site or utilize framing techniques to enclose the Site, Flickr Materials, Flickr Marks or other proprietary information without SmugMug's express prior written consent.
As a part of the Services, we may provide you with access to and use of certain personalized pages and corresponding web addresses ("URLs") that you may customize. SmugMug does not guarantee the availability of any particular web page or URL and reserves the right, at any time and at our sole discretion, to reclaim, suspend, terminate and/or transfer any such web page or URL"

So on the face of it the change should be good news for everyone, and hyperlinks will still be honored so images should not be effected but that does not mean in the future they don't go down the same path as Photobucket, but give the bad press attention Photobucket has drawn to themselves i doubt it will happen.

But never say never, watch this space

I wonder if Photobucket will rethink their stupid greedy idea and put it back to how it once was and let our photos show again

I wonder if Photobucket will rethink their stupid greedy idea and put it back to how it once was and let our photos show again

Well if they do i will be pissed, ivé spent days fixing my broken picture links :rage:

I must be lucky.

I went & checked all my old reports & it seems that only one with photobucket links is shot. That is the report of my first self guided ride in Thailand.

Looks like all my Laos reports are still working.

I must be lucky.

I went & checked all my old reports & it seems that only one with photobucket links is shot. That is the report of my first self guided ride in Thailand.

Looks like all my Laos reports are still working.

Hmmm very strange, some of your Photobucket stuff does show up, but your post titled 11 Days does not, along with your 2011 stuff.

It looks like it's account related.
One isn't working whilst the other is.

Photo info tells you which is which.

I will around to fixing them in the future

It looks like it's account related.
One isn't working whilst the other is.

Photo info tells you which is which.

I will around to fixing them in the future
Maybe you upgraded one of your accounts to annual subscription. You can download a hyperlink fix for your browser so you can view them but only you. This will help if you want to copy them back in directly from your computer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As I mentioned earlier there is a browser fix to enable the account user to view their pictures on third party hosting sites , but others will not see them sadly

Well, most of my images I posted on RA are on Postimage.org and are now also gone :RE
Some explanation here: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2467956
Maybe vbulletin has a similar repair method?

Not sure if this still works (it did in the past when I was kicked of the GTR forum in 2011) but there are programs which can do a global text replacement like replacing s20.postimg.com in https://s20.postimg.com/a5gw962u5/i-_JMb_Kdz_W-_XL.jpg with s20.postimg.cc in https://s20.postimg.cc[/B/a5gw962u5/i-_JMb_Kdz_W-_XL.jpg

In the past I used Replacem but I can't find that program anymore on Google but I am sure there are similar programs

Auke, I tried copying the original text into OpenOffice Write and tried to modify the link, unfortunately this does not work well.
I will try on another PC with MS Office later on, alternatively I will try it on a MAC.......

I think you will find Photobucket is on the case with most of these fixes and they quickly become obsolete, i have searched high and low for url editing hacks but none work so far.

i have searched high and low for url editing hacks but none work so far.
If there is no editing hack for Photobucket I doubt there will be one for Postimage, means I will have to redo all links by hand.
Time permitting I will try to do, some posts like the Nan trip need to be uploaded in Postimage again as I not longer seem to have them there??!!

If there is no editing hack for Photobucket I doubt there will be one for Postimage, means I will have to redo all links by hand.
Time permitting I will try to do, some posts like the Nan trip need to be uploaded in Postimage again as I not longer seem to have them there??!!
Think yourself lucky Marcel some.of us had thousands of images on Photobucket to fix. I have now deleted my account with them as a thank you.

Back
Top Bottom