Parang Bush Knife

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Compact Parang Bush Knife

As some of you may recall my trails and tribulations in Laos recently during which my old machete came into use very often, although my trusty blade did it's job (mostly) i have been hunting around for a knife with a blunt end that can be packed easily and of durable quality.

Not normally into name branded stuff i found this Gerber (Bear Grylls) compact Parang from a knife dealer in Bangkok, at 16" long and 14oz's (400 gms) including sheath it's pretty light. Good quality blade that look's like it will sharpen easily, it cut's through bamboo and small tree's with little effort.

View attachment 29341

View attachment 29342

View attachment 29343

Attachments

• P1030918.jpg
    P1030918.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 354
  • P1030918.jpg
    P1030918.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 417
  • P1030919.jpg
    P1030919.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 345
  • P1030920.jpg
    P1030920.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 328
I was just doing a Google to see if I could come up with your source in Bangkok for this item, when this RECALL notice popped up:

Bear Grylls Parang Recall | Gerber Gear

[h=1][/h]Gerber is voluntarily recalling our Parang machete, model numbers 31-000698, 31-001507, 31-000986, 31-001111, and 30-0006010, due to safety concerns. A weakness in the area where the handle meets the blade can cause the handle or the blade to break during use, posing a laceration hazard.
These Parangs were first sold in January of 2011. They were sold separately, and also as one of the products in Gerber's Apocalypse Survival Kit.
If you own one of these Parangs, stop using it immediately, put it into its sheath, and follow these instructions:
Please provide us with your name, street address, city, state, zip code, telephone number and email. We will then send you a prepaid shipping carton for you to use to return your Parang to us at our expense. Once you receive the carton, please put your Parang in its sheath into the carton, seal the carton, and drop it off at any FedEx Mailing Location. After we receive your Parang, we will mail you a free replacement Parang. It may take a few weeks to process the returned Parang and send you your free replacement. We appreciate your patience.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, but your safety is our primary concern.

Thanks for the head's up Mac, honourable undertaking by Gerber to make this recall after three years. Comparing the serial to my knife it looks like mine is one of the later models and is not part of this recall.

For your info i bought the knife here http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004856195068

I have seen the Bear Grylls branded stuff in Chiang Mai too, in one of the Army themed shops just around the corner of Riders Corner on the opposite side of the moat. Shop named Gunpai, I think.
BG survival knife and Parang/Machete was there last I visited.

Thanks for the head's up Mac, honourable undertaking by Gerber to make this recall after three years. Comparing the serial to my knife it looks like mine is one of the later models and is not part of this recall.

For your info i bought the knife here http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004856195068

That FB link is taking me nowhere, does anyone have any names or contact details for a BKK seller? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom