Our ride in Cambodia - Day 4

DogusB

Bikes
2013 Honda CRF250L
Day 4

Waking up at Terres Rouges in Banlung we had a very welcomed rest day ahead. I spent the morning writing a blog post just chilling out while others went for a walk or simply chilled by the pool. In the afternoon we had been told about Yeak Loam Lake, a volcanic lake that we could take a ride to for a swim so we headed out about 2pm.

(Notice the Foreigner price at the bottom which seems to be common in Asia, there is 4000 Riel to 1 US$.)

The guys grabbed the esky (cool box) from the back of the truck and we walked down to the lake.

It took a whole minute before Phil was in there quickly followed by others (myself included). Brendan as ever had his snorkel with him to go exploring.

Next to the jetty on the lake was this stupidly tall tree. Someone had noticed that there was bamboo nailed to the side of the tree to fashion a ladder of some description and to say it didn't look very safe was an understatement.

There's a old saying that goes "Give a man a beer and he'll make empty threats about jumping out of a tree. Give two Cambodian boys $10 and they'll actually do it."

Here they were our new heroes.

A rat up a drain pipe comes to mind but these boys would have left any rat behind in a race. They were up the top of the tree within seconds and the next thing you know they are walking along the branches to reach a "safe" spot to jump from.

Here is a video of the jumps, kindly filmed by Scouse.

[video=youtube_share;Xsos8144IvU]http://youtu.be/Xsos8144IvU[/video]

After the excitement of the boys jumping from the tree we sat about for a bit taking in the view.

Heading back to the hotel we stopped by the lake just outside the hotel.

After seeing Tony sitting in the squat position, Robert Daniel Fernandez Jr decided to attempt it, he looked comfortable for a whole three seconds.

We covered about 5km in about 16 hours ;)

All the photos I took from the day can be found here.

Loving the report and of course the pics are stupendous. Leng is a true vet of a tour guide according to everyone that has dealt with him so glad to hear he's continuing the role. What was your favorite section of track on the trip? I tried finding off road from Sen Monoram heading south west towards Phnom Phen but kept running into dead ends. Do you have any GPS tracks you could share?

Looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks for the comments, Leng is awesome!

I can get the GPX files uploaded later this week and share with the forum. You may need to edit these slightly as there were a few detours and sightseeing tours but happy to share with everyone.

It's very hard to say what my favourite part was, it depends what you like, in terms of sand, forest, red dirt etc etc each day had a bit of everything. I'm currently working on the remaining days ride reports and will share once they are completed.

Neil

Loving the report and of course the pics are stupendous. Leng is a true vet of a tour guide according to everyone that has dealt with him so glad to hear he's continuing the role. What was your favorite section of track on the trip? I tried finding off road from Sen Monoram heading south west towards Phnom Phen but kept running into dead ends. Do you have any GPS tracks you could share?

Looking forward to the next installment.

OSM has nothing either

sen cambo by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Here is a link to the gpx we rode on Day 2 heading towards Sen Monorom from Snuol - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110001414/Cambodia - Day 2.GPX

At the end we went to the waterfall, airstrip and lookout point so that's all in there as well, 239km. WARNING there is about 6km of the track where the GPS has switched itself off but from memory it was a clear track and just followed the route to the road (3762)

Neil

OK, for those of you who have some difficulty extracting the track, here it is shown on the Cambodia GPS map

Track Day 2 A.PNG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom