A short ride to Cambodia: Winter 2017

CraigBKK

Bikes
Honda CRF 1000L, 300L, SH 150
I met Michael at daybreak on a crisp Bangkok morning, which would turn into a long, cold and disappointing December day.

We headed due east on minor roads and dirt tracks, through the province of Chachoensao to Sa Kaew. The wind that brought a cold snap made putting a windbreaker jacket on necessary and a pleasant change from the usual hot temperatures of Bangkok.

20171218_STKCS_PC180008-Edit.jpg 20171218_STKCS_PC180014-Edit.jpg

Over a late lunch in Aranyaprathet we discussed for the first time crossing into Cambodia there rather than at Chong Chom as planned. We both knew of the bad reputation of Poipet, the Cambodian border town on the other side but thought it was worth a try. Unfortunately it turned out to be a frustrating mistake.

After passing without issue through both Thai and Cambodian Immigration, albeit with an additional 'charge' on the Cambodian side, we were denied entry with our Thai motorbikes at Customs. Appears that this is a common problem at this crossing where a permit needs to be applied for in advance. Defeated we re-entered Thailand and found a room for the cold night.

20171218_STKCS_PC180031-Edit.jpg

The following morning was as cold as the previous and the ride north along the border route 3446 was scenic and fresh, punctuated with army checkpoints and herds of cattle.

20171219_STKCS_PC190040-Edit.jpg

By early afternoon we had reached Chong Chom and crossed into Osmach on the Cambodian side without too much trouble (the Cambodian immigration officer wanted $35 for the visa but I showed him the one from the previous day and politely refused). We headed to the nearby town of Anlong Veng, the last stronghold of the Khmer Rouge, to spend our first night in Cambodia.

20171219_STKCS_PC190052-Edit.jpg 20171219_STKCS_PC190059-Edit.jpg

After staying at the night at the pleasant and cheap Monorom Villa ($8) and tasting Cambodian stout for the first time, the following morning we rode due south to Siam Reap.

20171220_STKCS_PC200086-Edit.jpg 20171220_STKCS_PC200115-Edit.jpg

Due to arriving in the afternoon and leaving the following morning we didn't want to purchase the rather expensive multi-day passes to the famous Khmer temples here. Instead we spent the evening riding around the ruins without entering until told to leave by officials claiming that a pass is needed to even ride the public roads in the area.

20171220_STKCS_PC200120-Edit.jpg 20171220_STKCS_PC200129-Edit.jpg

The following morning we left Siam Reap heading east on the historical Route 66 with the intention of looping round to join up with the National Highway 6 further south.

20171221_STKCS_PC210145-Edit.jpg

The track began with soft sand but was easy going. Once we had to divert due to a flooded paddy field and were turned around at one temple ruins because we didn't have a pass but by late morning we managed to find a ruin that didn't require a pass to visit.

20171221_STKCS_PC210131-Edit.jpg 20171221_STKCS_PC210133-Edit.jpg 20171221_STKCS_PC210136-Edit.jpg 20171221_STKCS_PC210138-Edit.jpg

The dusty track continued over several ancient Angkorian period bridges until it narrowed and became more and more rutted from the tractors that the locals use in the area. In one particularly heavily rutted section Michael and his bike's chain unceremoniously parted.

20171221_STKCS_PC210147-Edit.jpg 20171221_STKCS_PC210158-Edit.jpg

Finally, after losing each other and taking several dead-end tracks we decided it was best to cut our loses and turn around (N 13.40863 E 104. 57913). It was 3pm by now and we just didn't know how much more of the rutted tracks there were. We were already exhausted and water was running low.

20171221_STKCS_PC210163-Edit.jpg 20171221_STKCS_PC210165-Edit.jpg

About 12km back on the track was the small village of Khvao where we had eaten lunch. After rehydrating we turned left and followed the gravel tertiary road that lead us to the National Highway. Continuing on the highway we arrived in Kampong Thom just after dark.

20171222_STKCS_PC220172.jpg 20171222_STKCS_PC220174.jpg

The following morning we had a leisurely ride into the capital Phnom Penh as neither of us could check in to our hotel rooms until the afternoon. After my first Indian meal of the trip and the first of many happy hour draft beers I checked in to 'Le Grand Mekhong' hotel on the river front.

20171222_STKCS__1010677-HDR-Edit.jpg

The next few days I had a great time exploring Phnom Penh for the first time and relaxing along the river front. The weather was sunny but still chilly and the Indian food and beer good and cheap; I enjoyed my time in PP.

20171224_STKCS__1020341-Edit-2.jpg 20171223_STKCS__1020216-Edit.jpg 20171224_STKCS__1020430-Edit.jpg

After a few days of relaxing in the capital it was time to get back on the bike and head upstream of the Mekhong to Kampong Cham to see the famous long bamboo bridge. Rather than taking the more direct route we rode along the west bank, staying as close to the river as possible. The weather had changed and become grey and dull.

20171222_STKCS_PC220172-Edit.jpg

The weather had changed and so had the mood. I'd been involved in my first ever vehicle collision in the morning and spent a few hours at a local hospital with a teenage boy who was injured when our bikes collided. Hopefully he learnt to ride a little slower, but I doubt it.

It was raining and the bamboo bridge was no where to be found. To make matters worse we were staying at the prison like 'Mekhong Hotel'. Not at the top of my list of places to return to.

The following day we again rode the banks of the Mekhong, firstly up to the Khum Trea ferry, then along the east bank up to the old town of Krachie, famous for being one of the few remaining places to see the Irrawaddy (freshwater) dolphin.

20171226_STKCS__1020724.jpg 20171226_STKCS__1020743-Edit.jpg 20171226_STKCS__1020778.jpg 20171226_STKCS__1020787.jpg

We had originally planned to head East from Krachie but due to me wanting to get back to Bangkok for New Year's Eve we changed our plans and headed North to Stung Treng, close to the Southern Lao border.

Again we took the riverside option, which turned into an interesting single track at times, passing through some rutted areas, over wooden toll bridges (we never stopped to pay) and a detour off the GPS track, before connecting with the National Highway 7.

20171227_STKCS__1020793-HDR-Edit.jpg 20171227_STKCS_PC270365-Edit.jpg

At Stung Treng we stayed in the excellent value and located 'Four Rivers Hotel', costing $15 a night for a riverside view, complete with it's own skybar. Stung Treng is at the confluence of two rivers which I know well from my time travelling in Laos, The Mekhong and The Kong, which gives the Lao province of Sekong it's name, Se, meaning 'river' in Southern Lao dialect.

20171227_STKCS__1020938-Edit.jpg 20171228_STKCS__1020971-Edit-2.jpg 20171228_STKCS__1030005-Edit.jpg

From Stung Treng we began to head West. Although I had enjoyed the country and much of the riding I couldn't help think how flat and dusty much of the terrain we had seen was. Another unfortunate observation was the level of deforestation that was clearly evident.

The next afternoon we arrived in Preah Vihear and stayed at the recommended 'Home Vatthanak' Guest house (N 13.80463 E 104.97591). Finding food proved to be frustrating for a late lunch but eventually we came across the excellent 'Green House' Restaurant (N 13.802668 E 104.978696).

20171228_STKCS_PC280380-Edit.jpg

The following morning we again headed West with the plan of going to Choam on the Thai border to see if we would be allowed to exit there. If refused we would return to Anlong Veng where we spent our first night in Cambodia and exit at our entry point, Osmach, the following day.

The ride was again hot and flat, with the only mountains in sight, those that run along the political border of Cambodia and Thailand.

20171229_STKCS_PC290382-Edit.jpg

When we arrived at the border we asked the Cambodian Customs if exiting with our bike would be OK, the official seemed more than happy for us to do this and asked for no paperwork (we had none anyway). Before we crossed back into Thailand we paid a short and curious visit to Pol Pot's grave situated just a few hundred metres from the border. A rather morbid and bizarre way to finish this short ride to Cambodia.

Very interesting and delightful RR thanks for posting.
The rutted part as seen in the picture, can't get much worse than that?lol
Ok maybe on an uphill section.

5 star

Great tripreport and photos.

Yes the deforestation between Stung Treng and Siem Reap is horrible. While in Siem Reap I asked locals how the road east to Stung Treng was and if I could ride it on a big motorbike with a pillion which I had on that trip. Oh you mean the road through the jungle they said. That road is fine, its newly made and paved (this was in the beginning of 2015) Well off we went and rode from Siem Reap to Stung Treng. And it was definetively not through any jungle. In fact I couldnt see a big tree on the whole stretch, only low bushes. But obviously there had been jungle there before as the locals referred to it as the road through the jungle. It was a terrible sight, dry and minimal vegetation. The illegal logging is all organised by the police and central government. Its really really bad as those are the parts that should protect the land from this vandalism.

Nice stuff Craig, aside from Myanmar, Cambodia has to be one of the most interesting areas for riding right now, since Laos has fallen into the hands of the Chinese.

Great read and great pictures also. Laos is bad with cutting trees although the Lao Government insists that every year the forest cover increases - well maybe with rubber trees and other tree plantation but the old forests are gone forever. Sad to hear that Cambodia is going the wrong way as well with its tree cover and, judging from Snakeboy's reply, it may even be worse than Laos.

Nice stuff Craig, aside from Myanmar, Cambodia has to be one of the most interesting areas for riding right now, since Laos has fallen into the hands of the Chinese.

Indeed. Although there is a sizeable Chinese presence in Cambodia as well, it is mainly limited to Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville, where Chinese backed hotels and condominium projects are going up. The occasional Chinese financed hydro-power or other civil engineering mega project also exists here and there, but it's nothing like Laos, where for some reason, the government allows Chinese language signs without any translation into Lao or English to be posted everywhere indicating just how massive China's presence is in Laos.

It's not just in the north either. Chinese language signs dominate everywhere in Vientiane except the tourist oriented central part of town where all the backpackers, foreigners and expats go. Driving along route 13S about 15-20km outside central Vientiane for instance one could just as well be somewhere in China - every second sign has Chinese writing on it. Even though Vientiane is located some 670km from the Chinese border, I have been seeing Chinese number plates driving around that city for years - if you stay there you'll spot them on a daily basis without exception despite the distance from China and any Chinese city of any size. Not that there's hundreds or thousands of Chinese plates, but the mere fact one can spot them that often says something. By contrast, I only ever see a Lao number plate driving in Bangkok a few times a year - yet Bangkok is only 640km away from Vientiane and much easier to reach as the roads are way better.

Nevertheless, Cambodia has always attracted far less attention from riders (and motorists for that matter) than Laos. At first glance, I fail to understand why. For starters, Cambodia has fantastic beaches (Laos being a landlocked country has none), the people are pleasant and many can speak quite good English (unlike in Laos), the food is tasty and the country has some great sights/accommodation and activities to keep you busy. Even the police like to smile and are easy to deal with, unlike the stern, rather unfriendly Lao police (probably has something to do with them being communist).

Perhaps it could be that because Cambodia has no official procedure to bring a foreign registered vehicle into the country for temporary, tourist purposes (although it unofficially allows it at a couple of Thai-Cambodian ports of entry) that the country is relatively off the radar. However, for bikers, Laos too is becoming increasingly difficult. Now there are just 2 Thai-Lao checkpoints left where entry can be made on a bike, in addition to the China-Lao border (for Chinese bikes) and the Cambodian-Lao border (for all bikes, but only for entering the country; departing bikes must be Cambodian registered). The Vietnam-Lao border is also very unpredictable, some sources say just 1 or 2 borders definitely allow entry to Vietnamese bikes these days. Exceptions to all the above are motorcyclists entering on registered tours with tour guide etc.

Nevertheless, Cambodia has always attracted far less attention from riders (and motorists for that matter) than Laos. At first glance, I fail to understand why.

I will go back to Cambodia if presented with the chance, i.e. friends are planning a trip there, because I only saw a very small part. For me though it was too flat (yes I'm aware I chose to ride in the flat areas). What I like about Laos are the wonderful, and varied, mountains.

Back
Top Bottom