OSM Cambodia

daveg

Anyone travel with the Open Street Map (OSM) data before? I'm trying to organize a ride through Cambodia and would like to get a useable GPS map. The last time I was in Cambodia I just had Garmin basemaps and they were totally useless (as expected).

I had one.. Will have a dig.. But its at least 2 years ago and I expect theres newer.

Whats the consensus on the 'best' Cambodia routable road map ??

I started going through the OSM data for Cambodia and it seemed good. I took a pretty rough route (sand road) for part of the trip and it was on the map with towns labeled. I am in the process of making the map better as I'm contributing my tracks from my trip earlier this year to the site. Their new web based map editor is super easy to use, much easier than the earlier java one. I added a hotel and a couple of roads in Ban Lung.

Laos was pretty rough as a bunch of the roads I did were not on the map.... but now they are :deal

When I drive in Cambodia I use OSM and it is acurate and detailed for Phnom Phen, Siem Reap and Battabang at least. It is perfectly okay to use OSM for a Cambodia road trip. If you have planed a route that goes on backroads and tracks I would create a track and load it in the GPS because many small roads and track are missing.

How does OSM compare to the Rottweiler 2.0 I found yesterday ?? Anyone tested..

LivinLOS said:
How does OSM compare to the Rottweiler 2.0 I found yesterday ?? Anyone tested..

I've looked at the data on mapsource quite a bit and there looks to be more of it on rottweiler. I rode through Cambodia/Laos/Thailand with Rottweiller's map and in particular in Cambodia/Laos it was wrong more than it was right except for the major roads. I think the deal with OSM is that it may be less data, but you can plan a trip to it.

Plus I'm not convinced that the rottweiller map guy isn't just repackaging other people's work and selling it as his own. If you're going to pirate the map, just pirate it yourself.. don't pay someone else to do it.

hi
what about why you can find on Mapcenter? they seem rather accurate, for small and large roads arent they?

I have an updated copy of the Cambodia map which was available on MapCenter. This map as well as the Rotweiler map was based on a map which was published on the old MapCenter quite some time ago and was based on the Gecko map and GPS tracks and waypoints. I have added quite some offroad tracks and bits and pieces to it which has made it better. However, as the original map was based on a paper map there will be quite a few inaccuracies.

I am making this map available on the RideAsia forum in a few weeks time - need some more time to add some more tracks and waypoints I got from a few riders. In case you need the map as it is now just PM me and I'll email it to you.

Back
Top Bottom