Oot n' aboot on the scoot

No idea whats happened to the first lot of photos. All were linked from Flickr where i had to click each one 4-5 times to get it to work!!!

Yeah the way the forum tries to pull in linked photos is a horrible config (sorry admins)..

If your linking a hosted pic it should just leave the link and embed, not pull it in and host it here.

Yeah the way the forum tries to pull in linked photos is a horrible config (sorry admins)..

If your linking a hosted pic it should just leave the link and embed, not pull it in and host it here.

Hi guys

I understand your point LOS but there is then a drawback for folks that have not found the go advanced editor button yet, as with the option to 'link & pull for local use' turned off, the ability to upload files using the square tree icon is lost too, therefore requiring them to visit the advanced editor & use the paperclip icon to upload from their computer.

Perhaps the easier way would be to enable the 'link & pull for local use' in admin & advise users not to have the box ticked in their browser based on your advice?

What do you think ?

Ally

Hi guys

I understand your point LOS but there is then a drawback for folks that have not found the go advanced editor button yet, as with the option to 'link & pull for local use' turned off, the ability to upload files using the square tree icon is lost too, therefore requiring them to visit the advanced editor & use the paperclip icon to upload from their computer.

Perhaps the easier way would be to enable the 'link & pull for local use' in admin & advise users not to have the box ticked in their browser based on your advice?

What do you think ?

Ally

Unsure, despite being on a whole bunch of vB forums this is the first one that does the 'retrieve file and reference locally' by default.. Perhaps being a new install your the most up to date and its a new feature.

Unchecking the checkbox when linking is the key to making it smoother..

But I notice the advanced editor is trying to do all kinds of stuff for me (image uploads link formatting etc) and getting in the way more than I am used to.. Cant remember precisely now but will make a note next time and explain clearer.

I understand its trying to make it easier, just not so sure it really is.. if you want to upload images use the 'manage attachments' if you want to hotlink use the button.. Seems clear to me that way but I do get its hard to keep everyone balanced.

Also I seem to be getting really 'laggy' forum use.. When my net is going real well currently and chrome up to date..Lots of other forums and sites not seeming to have the same 'feel'..

Just me again ??

Nope not just ou LOS but my usually reliable connection is slower this last week too. We've cleared out the bot attacks we were getting and ensured the best phpconfig too so right now there could be either the host having issues (we're in the states) or local connections are poor.

I was hoping it to be the latter as the image loading issue started a few weeks ago with chinese & laos based posters but appears now to be affecting Thai based folks too.

I don't want to jump to conclusions about our hosting being the issuethis early, as hostmonster are typically very good but also wonder if hosting in Asia would be another consideration.

Ally

Also I seem to be getting really 'laggy' forum use.. When my net is going real well currently and chrome up to date..Lots of other forums and sites not seeming to have the same 'feel'..

Just me again ??

Ive noticed this lag/slow down with RA too. I thought it was my Internet at first but everything else seems to load fast.

Just me again ??

I was going to mention that too.
Seems to have started about a week ago.
Got to a be a server issue?

To be honest I have felt it ever since the move to the new server, tho worse in the last little while.. I was in Cambo until today so held off saying anything as last time I told Phil he didnt want to hear it, but now back in Thai with decent connection and its really just RA.

I seem to remember hearing your running on shared hosting, which surprised me as I always thought was hard to get server resources for active forums, I was always under the understanding it needed a VPS with a guaranteed minimum slice as a basic requirement once you had a few concurrent users. I have just taken soem shared host to put a VB install on so will see if I need to go VPS with it but its actually not a forum I am doing but using VB more as a backend.

Back
Top Bottom