Only 4 back-to back "Thailand visa exempt stamps" allowed

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Only 4 back-to back "Thailand visa exempt stamps" allowed

One of our rider's has been doing the 14 day Thai immigration tourist visa-run (to be clear "Thailand visa exempt stamp") to the Mae Sai international border crossing. It has been rumored that you can have a maximum of 4 back-to-back Thai immigration tourist visa's (to be clear 14 day "Thailand visa exempt stamp") and then you have to leave Thailand "for a period of time". He confirmed this is the case and was told by Thai immigration at the Mae Sai border on his 4th visa run, that this was the last time they would allow him to do this. (Also rumored that this rule only applies at the Mae Sai, Thailand, international border crossing- cannot confirm this currently).

- Leaving Thailand after your 4th Thai tourist visa immigration (to be clear "Thailand visa exempt stamp") back-to-back entry stamp, can you go straight to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane Laos and get a 60 day Thai tourist visa which is extendable for 30 days?

- Leaving Thailand after your 4th Thai tourist visa immigration (to be clear "Thailand visa exempt stamp") back-to-back entry stamp, how long do you have to stay out of Thailand before you can re-enter? After the required period outside Thailand, can you re-enter on a Thai 14 day tourist visa (to be clear "Thailand visa exempt stamp") ? Do you then qualify for 4 more back-to-back Thai tourist visa immigration visa's (to be clear "Thailand visa exempt stamp") ?

-Leaving Thailand after your 4th Thai tourist visa immigration (to be clear "Thailand visa exempt stamp") back-to-back entry stamp, at Mae Sai, will they allow you to exit Thailand into the Tachilek, Myanmar free zone, if you do not have a Myanmar immigration visa?

All seems very confusing right now

Last edited:
He should be able to get a 60 day Tourist Visa at Vientiane,PP or elsewhere (different entry point).

Note that the 14 and 30 day permission to stay are a visa exempt stamp.

If he flys to KL and back he can get 30 days or do an over night stay and get a single entry TV (60 days + extend by 30 days for 1900 baht).

He should be able to get a 60 day Tourist Visa at Vientiane,PP or elsewhere (different entry point).

Note that the 14 and 30 day permission to stay are a visa exempt stamp.

If he flys to KL and back he can get 30 days or do an over night stay and get a single entry TV (60 days + extend by 30 days for 1900 baht).

So in succession/ straight after the 4th tourist visa exempt / visa on arrival stamp this is possible? Wasn't Thai Consulate, Vientiane, Laos disallowing this?

From what i`ve heard before is that if he`d got multiple TV`s from say Vientiane before he might get knocked back there for another. It might pay to try somewhere else,PP,SIN,KL?
There`s probably others on here who have experience at Vientiane of what you have mentioned before.
If there was some doubt i`d try PP.

From what i`ve heard before is that if he`d got multiple TV`s from say Vientiane before he might get knocked back there for another. It might pay to try somewhere else,PP,SIN,KL?
There`s probably others on here who have experience at Vientiane of what you have mentioned before.
If there was some doubt i`d try PP.

Good point

Not sure what you mean here with "Tourist Visa" but I guess you are talking about the "Visa Exempt Stamp" officially called Phor 30 or Phor Phor 30. This is given to any person entering Thailand, whose nationality is on the list of allowable countries, when they enter Thailand through a land border or airport. There is no visa requirement for this stamp. If entering through an airport, the visitor will be granted 30 days continuous stay in Thailand. If entering through a land border, the visitor will only be granted 14/15 days continuous stay (30 days for Malaysian nationals) in Thailand.

In theory you should be able to do continuously but as with most things in Thailand, each entry point seems to have its own rules and remember that the Immigration Officer at the point of entry may on its own authority refuse you the right to enter Thailand at any time if he/she believes that you are abusing the system.

The 4th 14 day visa exempt stamp is new on me.. People in Ranong have been using them like that for years..

Back when you used to get 30 days on a land border crossing for a visa exempt, they did implement 3 only (90 days worth) and you then had to go get a tourist visa.. But after that you could do another 3 x 30.. Also at one stage they insisted you had either 20k THB in cash or a Thai bank book showing it (updated recently) to show travel money. A visa card was not suitable.

As to actual tourist visas, each consul is a law unto themselves.. Penang continually fuck around with these, you cant have more than 2 previous ones.. Or you cant have extended them incountry, or you cant this or that.. Just oddball rules no where else does.. Some consuls and embassies give doubles, rarely will you find triples in Asia (bali did, I am told Sri Lanka did) and very rarely a home country consul could issue quad entries.

I know last year Cambodia gave out double entry tourist visas.. I dont know if they still are.. Someone I know is trying next week so can ask.

Not sure what you mean here with "Tourist Visa" but I guess you are talking about the "Visa Exempt Stamp" officially called Phor 30 or Phor Phor 30. This is given to any person entering Thailand, whose nationality is on the list of allowable countries, when they enter Thailand through a land border or airport. There is no visa requirement for this stamp. If entering through an airport, the visitor will be granted 30 days continuous stay in Thailand. If entering through a land border, the visitor will only be granted 14/15 days continuous stay (30 days for Malaysian nationals) in Thailand.

In theory you should be able to do continuously but as with most things in Thailand, each entry point seems to have its own rules and remember that the Immigration Officer at the point of entry may on its own authority refuse you the right to enter Thailand at any time if he/she believes that you are abusing the system.

Yes, talking about the "Visa exempt entry in Thailand" (many know it as a 14 day tourist visa, so wanted to keep it simple). Hopefully this is just a rule at the Mae Sai, Thailand international border crossing by Thai immigration

So in succession/ straight after the 4th tourist visa exempt / visa on arrival stamp this is possible? Wasn't Thai Consulate, Vientiane, Laos disallowing this?

Your mixing up the visa exempts and the tourist visas.. They both sometimes have rules restricting them, not enforced the same in any 2 places.. But not heard of one type effecting the other type, if you get my meaning.

The 4th 14 day visa exempt stamp is new on me.. People in Ranong have been using them like that for years..

Back when you used to get 30 days on a land border crossing for a visa exempt, they did implement 3 only (90 days worth) and you then had to go get a tourist visa.. But after that you could do another 3 x 30.. Also at one stage they insisted you had either 20k THB in cash or a Thai bank book showing it (updated recently) to show travel money. A visa card was not suitable.

As to actual tourist visas, each consul is a law unto themselves.. Penang continually fuck around with these, you cant have more than 2 previous ones.. Or you cant have extended them incountry, or you cant this or that.. Just oddball rules no where else does.. Some consuls and embassies give doubles, rarely will you find triples in Asia (bali did, I am told Sri Lanka did) and very rarely a home country consul could issue quad entries.

I know last year Cambodia gave out double entry tourist visas.. I dont know if they still are.. Someone I know is trying next week so can ask.

Interesting, thanks MR. H.

Your mixing up the visa exempts and the tourist visas.. They both sometimes have rules restricting them, not enforced the same in any 2 places.. But not heard of one type effecting the other type, if you get my meaning.

The point I was trying to make here is that when exiting Thailand after your 4th Visa exempt stamp entry into Thailand, if you entered Laos & went straight that day to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane, Laos, I was told you would be denied a 60 day, Thai tourist immigration visa (that was extendable for another 30 days). Anyone have actual experience of this?

Back
Top Bottom