Offroad from Luang Prabang via Sam Soun to Nong Khiew

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Got bored riding the paved road from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiew and decided to explore the offroad option via Pak Xeng to Rd 1C at Sam Soun and then looping back to Nong Khiew. It is considerable longer than the asphalt option but the views along the dirt roads made this a very enjoyable ride. From Luang Prabang take Rd 13 in the direction of Pak Mong.

Rd13toRd1Coffroad.jpg

After the bridge over the Nam Xuang turn right (about 17 km from the Airport junction in Luang Prabang) at the sign to Pak Xeng. The road is quite flat and easy going.

GEDC0259compress.jpg

GEDC0262compressed.jpg

The road basically runs along the Nam Xuang river. About 59 km from the turnoff from Rd 13 (about 4.5 km before you reach Pak Xeng) there is a small waterfall on the north side of the road and although the waterfall is not more than a trickle of water, it is nice spot for a rest.

GEDC0261doc.jpg

GEDC0260doc.jpg

Once Pak Xeng is behind you, the fun starts. The road narrows and rises from about 350 meters to 1050 meter over a distance of about 10 km.

RoadtoSamSounfrom13N.jpg

Although it was steep and the road quite narrow, my truck had no problems at all but in case it would have been raining I would not have made it. Basically the track was dry and dusty all the way but I assume that early morning, some parts could be a bit slippery due to dew dripping on the road. The views are terrific along the track although it was a bit hazy here and there.

GEDC0265compressed.jpg

GEDC0266doc.jpg
GEDC0264doc.jpg

There are very few junctions along the way but near the end there is a T junction which may cause problems as the sign that was previously there had disappeared

GEDC0273compwithnotes.jpg

Once past the junction the track the track was livened up by sunflowers growing wild along the road.

GEDC0274compressed.jpg

The unpaved part was about 120 km and it took me about 5 hours but I made frequent stops and small detours.

Nice report "Lone Ranger" It worth noting this dirt road is all season access, and I believe is at its best in the wet season.

Catching up on all the Ride Reports now and nice to see Lone Rider checking this one out. A nice route to break up the asphalt for sure as you can hole up in Nong Khiew which is always a pleasant and scenic stay once you get to road 1C hang a left and 20 minutes later you're in Nong Khiew. Nong Khiew is a much nicer stay than if you were to go right on 1c and stay in the other village on the river farther down (forget the name and no Laos map to reference).

Thanks for the report Lone Rider.

Back
Top Bottom