Northern Vietnam loop ride went well !

johnybrando

Bikes
1050 Speed Triple, Z-1, Big Singles
Just a quickie to let any one interested know that my planed Northern Loop ride went well . I left Oct 28 and returned to Oz on Dec 3 2016 . I ended up Hiring a Honda XR 150 in Hanoi this was perfect for the job it was the totally reliable, right Physical size for me @ 1.8 mtrs tall & 80 kilos , not too heavy to drag out the mud or pick up !!! ran on the sniff of an Oily rag , enough power to comfortably get along at 80 klm / hour when conditions would let you & had enough go to climb hills/mountains & carry me and my gear without batting an eye .... I travelled on my own through out managing to mainly stop over night in Cheapish Hotels & Guest house ...sometimes in the Bush ( i took small sleeping bag, just in case ... just as well too ! ) this always happened when I arrived in remote Village or Towns after dark which couldn't be avoided sometimes.

I took smallish Soft panniers & a Tank Bag & a GPS..... but that never worked !!!! so in the end I used a $1.00 150mm diameter ...sadly lacking joke of a map to navigate a total of 4000 Klms in 3 weeks of riding ..... needless to say, I got lost a few times ...but I searched a whole day in Hanoi prior to starting the ride for a decent road map of Northern Vietnam & despite what any one may say ! - they don't exist there !!!! but over-all I did OK. I covered a lot of ground on both on Shite little roads & small dirt tracks . Lets say it was a real adventure & I'm chuffed I made it , as Vietnam was definitely the most demanding and dangerous place that I've yet ever ridden ! & at now 60.... and been riding continuously since I was 11 years of age ...well that says something ! I had more than my fare share of close calls & dramas but thats all part of it & what it's all about aye .... coming out the the other end in One Piece & OK ! It was not a ride for the inexperienced or the fainthearted. However it was brilliant & I'd do it again in a Heartbeat !

Buggered if I know where to go next year ????....but I'm hungry to plan the next adventure so if any one reading this can relate to the trip I just returned from & has a suggestions for something that will top that ..we'll I'd luv to hear from you I thinking maybe remote Southern China but the photos I see on this forum, all seem to be ....Mmmm a bit " un inspiring" compared to what I've just seen & ridden and I'm sort of after the same sort of challenge as I have just experienced in Vietnam ! Flying into & picking up a good bike again (XR 150 ) in Hanoi may well be a good move again .....as Laos - Thailand - China are just a day or two's ride away from there.
Cheers all, Johny Brando. :lost

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Johny, do you have any pictures of the trip to share ?

Some pictures Johny sent of his trip some lovely scenery in the North.

IMAG5053.jpeg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f32a.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f32b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f32c.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f32d.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f32e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f32f.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f33a.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f33b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f33c.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f33d.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f33e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f34a.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f34e.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f35a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f32a.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f35f.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f321.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f322.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f323.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f324.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f325.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f326.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f327.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f328.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f329.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f35a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f331.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f332.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f333.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f334.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f335.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f336.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f35f.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f338.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f34e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f340.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f333.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f33e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom