No Bikes to Doi Suthep

I saw this before, but there was no mention of a ban for motorcycles
Can you confirm that?

I just went up Doi Suthep on scooter. cars are going up too, no sign of anyone being stopped

"Tourists wanting to visit the famous Wat and two other nearby tourist attractions will be directed to park their vehicles at the Chiang Mai International Convention and Exhibition Centre and take public passenger vans and red song taew pickups to their destinations"

Finally, a bit of common sense in Thailand? Bloody good news for the songthaew owners who are usually otherwise struggling. Damn sure I could concede not using my private vehicle on that road for a few days a year..... just don't go! :D

went up about 1130 today 28th, cars and bikes etc going both ways as usual.
And this sign in a few places, possibly means one way system at certain times traffic suthep.jpg

^^

Thats nuts.. Meaning you go up you have to wait 3 hours to come back down..

I predict, as per usual, it will be flat out ignored.

took me about 10minutes to go up and down...
it got cold at the observatory

Good time to stay away from the tourist hotspots if youcan,IMO.

Phu Rua Flower Festival today and the place was rammed with holidaying Thai`s :(

So let me get this straight.. They were unhappy at the lack of people going up the mountain, so they blocked the road up the mountain !!!

And then of course "When the red song taew passenger trucks stopped running the service up the mountain, vendors ended their road blockage but many tourists who had taken the public vehicles found themselves stranded on the mountain"... Nice...

No signs of red car/songthaews or parking at New Convention centre.
Though why anyone would want to pay twice the price for water etc from vendors there, esp away from the temple is a mystery to me.
Except for cyclists coming up

Was at Huay Tueng Tao Rsvr. today and many (all?) of the trail junctions leading towards Doi Suthep were closed and said only in Thai that you cannot use this route/ trail.

As you can see below, the trail shortcut before the toll booth is shut, the corner cut to get up DST closed too. Did not have time to see if the main trail on the north side of the lake was closed that also takes you onto the Mae Rim Single Track, there were some mountain bikes coming out of there.

P_20160313_150752.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

htt no by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

I was just up there on Saturday and the road up to the Hmong village was open -- where you have "unconfirmed" on your map. As of Saturday there were no signs of any of the trails/tracks off of that road being closed.

Back
Top Bottom