New tracks near home

2wheels

Community Manager
Bikes
ROYAL ENFIELD CLASSIC
I had Saturday afternoon free from the arduous task of supervising building contractors, so decided to 'head for the hills', mainly to continue learning about the new Montana 650.
The mountains in the Mae Pong/Mae On area was the general target, knowing I would become distracted along the way.

The first discovery (for me) was this BMX/MX track at

N 18.82647
E 099.21362

A feeble wooden gate blocked entrance and no-one was there, but I'll return and try to find more info about its usage. No doubt many already know of this venue but maybe many enthusiasts don't.

DSC03279.jpg

DSC03280.jpg

It's beside this road, which I continued along, just following what looked interesting.

DSC03281.jpg

Wat Sahakorn at

N 18.83325
E 099.25120

DSC03282.jpg

Then on to Nam Mae Ruam, a delightful location at

N 18.81381
E 099.28287

DSC03284.jpg

... which had attracted a few fishers (and, sadly, a lot of litter). :mad:

DSC03285.jpg

DSC03286.jpg

I followed this track hoping to ride around the lake but it soon ended.
Lots of fishing and picnic spots here. (Hello Kevin).

DSC03289.jpg

Then out from the reservoir with no particular route in mind.
I really respect the way Monks and locals tie a saffron coloured ribbon around trees that they hope to protect, mainly from land developers.

DSC03291.jpg

There's another explanation too;

"
One fellow monk began to ordain trees -- tie orange robes around their trunks and confer monk's ordination on them. Many Thais were shocked and outraged by this -- how could a tree be a monk? -- but other monks began to ordain trees also to signal that the forests were a sacred place, off limits to the tree cutters. " (About.com Buddhism)

DSC03313.jpg

Montana led me to the Huai Mae On reservoir at

N 18.81136
N 099.26537

DSC03292.jpg

DSC03293.jpg

DSC03294.jpg

and from there I rode along a track that led me to a stream which was feeding the reservoir ...

DSC03295.jpg

... past this shelter ...

DSC03304.jpg

... to a most delightful picnic spot.
Lots of trails here, I think mostly walking trails.
Also lots of litter! Why do they do it? :?: :mad:

DSC03300.jpg

DSC03298.jpg

I lingered there for a while and will return, this time with some food, a drink and maybe a garbage bag.

I set the Montana to 'Go to shower and Brandy', and along the way found a handsome looking Resort which I had to investigate.
However, my arrival (those CRFs a really loud) aroused the sleeping security guard who politely chastised me for entering without prior permission.
I felt like a real goose.

DSC03307.jpg

Anyway, gooses ring to him and onward to home.

DSC03308.jpg

Past this nice little Spirit House.
I really like these sites, but have been warned by a Thai friend that photographing them is not a good idea because lingering spirits could enter the camera and be transported back to the owners home where they may cause mischief. Oops.

Some interesting reading re Spirit Houses;

http://spirithouses-shrines.ucdavis.edu/content/lessons/readings/thailand.html

DSC03311.jpg

Close to home.

DSC03317.jpg

Tried to chat with this farmer but he wasn't at all responsive.

DSC03318.jpg

DSC03319.jpg

Home for sunset.

DSC03278.jpg

Liking the CRF and the Montana 650 very much.

Wonderful trip report there Ron, thanks for taking the time to make the locations available.

Ally

Ron,
My old back yard!
I found that picnic spot on a Thai holiday and it was JAMMED with people drinking and eating. Vendors and all! That is a cool spot. If you look at the map there is a waterfall further back in the jungle. The entrance is actually near where you were at Nam Mae Ruam on the 1230 (intersection of 1230 and Ban Pa Miang Mae Ruam road). I hiked back there last year and it was not worth the trek.
The BMX track is a great find! I never knew it was there. What a shame as I have moved away from the neighborhood.
Ask MastaMax about his excursion over that little range south of there.

Thanks!

Thanks Ally.

JB, I'm more than happy to see walking trails remain walking trails.
Yes, it's a good neighbourhood.

That Montana is one of the best purchases I've ever made Phil; thanks for your assistance in getting it.

Back
Top Bottom