New Road, Nan to Luang Prabang.

It looks like that Thailand is really pushing the construction of this road as originally Thailand would provide the financing of the road (1.4 Billion Baht) in the form of a 80% loan and 20% grant (http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-information/106-road-development-road-construction-laos-5.html#post43762 while this article in the Bangkok Post indicates that it will now be in the form of a 1.97 Billion Baht grant.

However, these roads (Rd 3603 and 3604) will only link Thailand from the Huay Khone border crossing (now a local only border crossing) to Rd 4 in Laos about 12 km. north Ngeune in Xayaboury Province and not does not include the dirt road (Rd 4B) from Hongsa to Luang Prabang.

It looks like that Thailand is really pushing the construction of this road as originally Thailand would provide the financing of the road (1.4 Billion Baht) in the form of a 80% loan and 20% grant (http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-information/106-road-development-road-construction-laos-5.html#post43762 while this article in the Bangkok Post indicates that it will now be in the form of a 1.97 Billion Baht grant.

However, these roads (Rd 3603 and 3604) will only link Thailand from the Huay Khone border crossing (now a local only border crossing) to Rd 4 in Laos about 12 km. north Ngeune in Xayaboury Province and not does not include the dirt road (Rd 4B) from Hongsa to Luang Prabang.

Sorry guys, I am mistaken as the grant seems to be for the upgrading of road 4B from Hongsa to Luang Prabang

"Col Sansern said the new road would link routes 4 and 13 in Laos "

Looks like the 4B dirt road linking Hongsa to Luang Prabang in Laos might become a major highway? That would be the quickest way through to Luang Prabang and then it would need a bridge at M. Chomphet across the river to Luang Prabang.

Google Earth still only recognizes 1/2 of R 4B between Hongsa & Luang Prabang (I sketched the rest in below):

4b link with txt.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

What a pity. I like 4B the way it is

Back
Top Bottom