New FirstGear 2020 Collection for Adventure Travelers

Rss

Bikes
Yes
We get it. You’re out there working up a good sweat sowing the last of your summer-season oats and the last thing you want to think about is the impending cold, wet fall season. Luckily, FirstGear has been worrying about the turn of seasons for us, queuing up new gear selections to stay warm and […]

The post New FirstGear 2020 Collection for Adventure Travelers appeared first on ADV Pulse.

9ZTXg4oE4p4

More...

Hi!

Big fan now of the First Gear products. I have their complete line of heated gear, but for gloves as my bikes all have heated grips and nice hand guards. I can ride all day at or slightly above freezing and will sweat if I leave the gear set to med/high. Often a couple degrees above freezing the jacket and socks set to low which is perfect on a dry day; on a bike with heated seat and grips. Welcome to Canada.

I bought the FG Kathmandu over jacket and pants last summer, after my Klim Badlands jacket was stolen off my bike in Toronto. Price and reviews the deciding factor; I have bike gear in 3 parts of Canada and really didn't want to leave Klim gear unattended when traveling. It's worked almost perfectly from both coasts of Canada, and riding in Alaska. Yesterday say 4 hours of rainy riding and I stayed dry. Most recently protected me when 2 weeks ago I was crossing America and I hit a huge bug hatch in North Dakota - where shortly after my GSA died and is in a storage locker in ND awaiting recovery. Only area I find the FG jacket didn't measure up to Klim was is in the neck area. I had a tailor sew an extra panel of nylon to seal that area. During warm weather the First Gear can breather better than the Klim with all vents open.

Cheers,
Kevin

Good to have you back Kevin, that was an expensive loss of the Klim jacket, not something you hear happen often thankfully its usually helemts that are the prime target.

Never used First Gear, happy with Klim although it is expensive when duty is added by the robbers in customs.

Kevin

I always remember that the worst day of riding I ever had was in Canada - Northern Ontario. A full day of rain, with the temperature only 2 degrees above freezing.

Good to be back!

Last year and 3 years ago have had the hard bags on my BMW broken into, and cleaned out in southern Ontario. Both times rode back to my Airbnb angry and helmetless. I did like the Klim jacket but it's a big piece of gear. Recently during the shoulder seasons I like the oversuit again, with different armored gear such as textile jackets, mesh jacket, and Kevlar armored jeans being worn underneath. I like comfort now, for days like Bob mentioned it's great to crack your visor and be surprised by how cold is outside. When I moved from Thailand to northern Canada my first helmet purchase was a high quality snowmobile helmet with sealing double paned visor and 2 different breath guards for differing conditions. Combined with a thick wind proof fleece neck guard I could handle riding Canada 3 seasons temperatures. Home base for me now is on Vancouver Island where I can ride year round, my KLR has an heavy-duty stator for heated gear.

I do want to be riding in Thailand soon!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom