NEW - "Asian Trail Riders" - trail riding every Friday

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
NEW - "Asian Trail Riders" - trail riding every Friday from Chiang Mai, Thailand

With Max having every Friday off work & relishing his WR250F , Luke chomping at the bit for a WR450F (& about to buy one), Justin having his YZF250 & KTM "570" both running at the same time (unheard of), Darren on his KTM 300 2 stroke, Jon on a WR250F, Alex UK on a Kawasaki KLX 250, me currently on a Suzuki DRZ 400

--- We thought it would be a good idea to start a Friday "Asian Trail Riders"

Anyone is welcome to come and join us, riders range from professional skill level to novice. We've been out as a group a couple of times already & it seems to work well with so many keen enduro riders now in the area.

If you're interested in coming please send a PM and I'll stay in touch.

373953_174748619279594_174748489279607_336735_433525881_n.jpg

Let me know when it starts :)

Great concept, great bunch of riders, gay name.
" Asian trail riders " sounds bit official to me.
I suggest something a bit more casual like the "Northern rockets"....?? or "Lanna Explorers" or "Chiang Mai Dirties"
Or N.O.B "Northern Off-road Buddies"

What does everyone think? or I am on my own here???? :RO :DD

So the NOB and the subsequent NOB'bers are born! I also have the backing of our "Dear Leader" on this.
Do you think that Buddies or Brigade would be better??? :hmm

haha sounds good to me the nob brigade :D

Won't be able to make it until 17th of this month, but after that I'm in basically every Friday.

Why don't we meet at the the first big PTT fuel station on R 107, which DOES NOT HAVE a 7-11! (correction) but has a blue "Jiffy" shop, that is 2.6km north of the super-highway on R 107. It is on the LHS on R 107 when you are north-bound on R 107.

OK for people?

MEET AT 10AM FRIDAY

They have air for tires there too

6311880026_bf2ff4fd06_b.jpg

It's just before the Esso fuel station heading north & has a yellow "Cockpit" tire shop opposite on the eastern side of R 107

6311359245_3fbc4b4264_b.jpg

ptt with jiffy shop.jpg

Ill be there.

Might be a good idea to throw out some trail ideas/preferences/areas etc before hand. Eventually the trails will get tagged with "nick names" that we are all familiar with and a vote can be taken prior to the meet. These can easily be created and stored in a sort of database. Load them quickly into your GPS and were all on the same page. Just an idea and prevents riders from going astray! Just an idea...
For now, as its just kicking off, I 'suppose a suck it and see' approach will have to suffice until the weekly event gathers momentum.

I think if theres some form of prior planning and publicizing through Rideasia it will attract more riders and will be more enjoyable for all, rather than turning up, see who's there, where might we go approach. I know this won't happen over-night but Im sure if we all put the effort in, it could turn out to be something worthwhile.

Some ideas: A sticky thread, something like "Friday Meet". Have one of those vote thingies at the top so we all can decide on where to go prior to meeting up. Post your name on the thread of availablitiy for the meet.

Any more ideas to get the ball rolling?

Some good thoughts there John - I'll try and get started on your ideas as a platform today, thanks.

OK -- let's get the trail ideas going.

One idea would be to do the trail towards to the Mok Fa waterfall between R 1096 (Samoeng loop road) & R 1095 (road to Pai & Mae Hong Son)

I can email the route below as a gpx file to put in Garmin GPS's so everyone has it.

PM me your email address if you want this track as a GPX file, the trails are on Auke's GPS map

mok fa trails.jpg
Map Copyright ©www.RideAsia.net - Permission to copy required

Yup, looks great. That looks like the route we tried to do in rainy season on the way to "The Nest"

It's a good idea, count me in.

From a purely selfish point of view I would like to see asphalt road sections kept to an absolute minimum.

Nothing worse than putting on a new tyre and doing 80km on the road on a 2 stroke only to find your down to the canvas and needing a new tyre after 3 rides.

LUFC said:
It's a good idea, count me in.

From a purely selfish point of view I would like to see asphalt road sections kept to an absolute minimum.

Nothing worse than putting on a new tyre and doing 80km on the road on a 2 stroke only to find your down to the canvas and needing a new tyre after 3 rides.

I agree about keeping tarmac to a minimum

LUFC -- Can you contact Jon to see if he's free? having trouble locating his number in my phone.

Does everyone know about the Cornerman System?
This is what we use for groups larger than about 5 riders.

The basic rule is... Ride in a group, stick to the system and someone will always be there to help you if you need it.

Unless you are riding in a small group with riders of similar ability and the tracks aren't too dusty it is best to use a system to avoid the group becoming separated. This can be done in various ways however my favorite has never let me down as long as everyone sticks to the rules. Remember, you don't want to be laying on the track with an injury wondering if help is going to come just because you ignored the basic rule.

The two main players in the system are the lead rider and the sweep. The group follows the lead rider where ever he may take them and he is in charge of placing a rider to show change of direction. He will give the second rider an indication that he wants him to mark the corner. The second rider must stop and should park his bike in the direction the lead has gone. He should also use a hand signal to indicate the change of direction as well. This rider keeps this position until all other riders have passed by and the sweep arrives.

The rider then takes off in front of the sweep and follows the group until he is back in second place again. He would then repeat the exercise again as many times as required.

Points to note.

The lead rider should explain this system to others at the start of the day. The lead is responsible for indicating when to show a change of direction. The lead should also stop and regroup every few klm's and make sure the sweep arrives before proceeding. If possible, the sweep should wear a bright colored top so he is easily recognized.

Never ever leave your corner unless the sweep arrives. If the sweep doesn't arrive then there is a problem that he is dealing with. Someone broken down, hurt, dead etc. The cornerman needs to hold his ground so the lead rider knows which way back by following where he put the cornermen picking them up along the way until all riders are found if there was a problem.

Remember, this is not just for general safety it also ensures a good day of riding is had by all. There is nothing more frustrating than the group becoming separated and riders going in circles looking for each other. If you don&'t find each other you don't know if other are OK.

We've been doing the second rider waits at the turn (which works excellent) when there's larger groups, but we don't normally run the sweep. The reason is that most places have phone signal now and with text its pretty easy to figure out what going on, so even if people are riding they get the text message when they stop.

LUFC said:

Totally agree.

Stokes70 said:
Or N.O.B "Northern Off-road Buddies"

What does everyone think? or I am on my own here???? :RO :DD

He rides the NOB.

:LOL

KTMphil said:
We've been doing the second rider waits at the turn (which works excellent) when there's larger groups, but we don't normally run the sweep. The reason is that most places have phone signal now and with text its pretty easy to figure out what going on, so even if people are riding they get the text message when they stop.

I tend to think the sweep is the most important.. If theres a man down you dont want to be leaving them injured back there while everyone carries on.. Always try and do it on Rd rides too.

Direction and getting lost on one thing. But not having a tail gunner to make sure that all are safe is a bigger one IMO.

Snake farm on R 1096 (samoeng loop road) to the Mok Fa waterfall on R 1095 ( Mae Hong Son loop road) is 55KM of riding mostly dirt

snake farm 1096 to mok fa dirt.jpg
Map Copyright ©www.RideAsia.net - Permission to copy required

KTMphil said:
LUFC

-any idea of the condition of the trail from R 1096 north to Tard Mork? is it usable yet?

[attachment=0:2ijjy3s0]MAE RIM TRACK TO TARD MORK WF.jpg[/attachment:2ijjy3s0]

Map copyright © http://www.RideAsia.net - Permission to copy required

Sorry Phil I find it difficult to relate a GPS map track to an actual track!

I'm sure I will have ridden it but until I get there I'm no help whatsoever.

I bought my recently sold WR450 from the "swiss geordie", be interesting to see if the 2 trac is working again.

it looks like a bit of rain has gone through the Mae Rim area and north tonight?

hopefully not too much. anyone from that area have a better perspective?

Loop - that sprinkle stopped around 10pm - if no more I wouldn't have thought a problem for tomorrow.

Loop said:
it looks like a bit of rain has gone through the Mae Rim area and north tonight?

hopefully not too much. anyone from that area have a better perspective?

Good luck today lads..

Thought I was gonna make this one but things have conspired against it.

Next week perhaps.

With so many riders away, we postponed today's Northern Off-Road Brigade (NOB) trail ride. Matt & I went for a ride up Doi Suthep and the trails are finally drying out.

P1070533.jpg

We started at Huay Thong Tao lake and worked our way anti-clockwise to the Mong village and did a loop west of the village.

map dst with matt.jpg

We met this guy on a KSR who has escaped the bangkok floods and ridden to Chiang Mai in 3 days, he seemed to be having a great time!

P1070535.jpg

Looks good, Phil. If any of you guys want to try out this "death valley" track, I'll be leaving from the city around mid morning tomorrow (Saturday).

AlexUSA said:
Looks good, Phil. If any of you guys want to try out this "death valley" track, I'll be leaving from the city around mid morning tomorrow (Saturday).

Are you doing the one Jonny did last week with Darren & Jon? I think i'll wait until next week.

KTMphil said:
AlexUSA said:

Are you doing the one Jonny did last week with Darren & Jon? I think i'll wait until next week.

Probably a good idea to wait Phil, I wouldn't fancy your chances after the rain we had 2 days ago.

When we tried it I think it had been dry for about a week, but we still had to help each other up the steep and slippy rocky sections.

Looks like a few guys are interested in riding this Friday ...10 Am at the same PTT station on R 107 ok for everyone?

KTMphil said:
Loop said:
Yep,i`ll be there.

Loop --I'm not around this Friday, i think Matt is up for riding and a few others ill try find out and PM you.

No worries Phil.

If Matt and the boys want to meet and ride somewhere other than to the north,no problem with me.I`m itching to try out to the south of Doi Suthep,but happy to go along with whatever they want to do.

I'm out the country at the minute, but should be
around for next weeks ride. Matt

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil N.O.B. Rides 12
Back
Top Bottom