Need Heli-coil fix in Chiang Mai

Malindi

Bikes
BMW R80G/S, BMW R80RT
Greetings,

I am a Canadian traveler staying at Smith Residence for a while. I am here on my 1986 BMW R80G/S. I rode up from Kuala Lumpur where I did an oil and filter change. All was well until I reached Bangkok. There, my bike started to loose a bit of oil through the oil cover (no oil cooler, OX37 bendy filter). In KL, I noticed that one of the three screws holding the cover on had spun (it was always a bit weak), so the threads were stripped.

It’s the left one:

View attachment 18241

overview

View attachment 18242

The garage there gave me a longer bolts as apparently the one that stripped the thread was too short (it had worked for the last 10 years…). I replaced all three bolts with new ones. It seemed to have held for 2,000 kilometers, but now the cover is leaking some oil. Not much, and I can certainly ride with it, but I leave 5-10 drops of oil behind when I park somewhere. The stripped thread is the left one, a bit hard to reach, but there is a 90 degree angle of access to it. What I want to investigate is whether someone in Chiang can put a Helicoil in to fix it. I can remove the crash bar if needed but would very much want to try and avoid moving the engine up, as that is a major undertaking. Also, I would prefer it someone could come on-site and fix it, because once I start the bike, it takes a day to cool off. I do all my own work on my bike and want to be there when things get fixed in this case. The bolt in question is an M6x20. The hole it goes into is a blind hole in the engine block. Attached is a pictures give you an idea of where it is located.

Does anyone know if/who I could call to have them come and fix it here?
Or any other suggestions? All welcome …

Also, I someone knows where I can get a flat paper air filter for a BMW and/or an OX37 oil filter and O ring, that would be most welcome as well.

Cheers,
Kevin

Thanks guys. I called him but his shop is not yet operational. I am going to call him in a week or so and see where he is at. He does have the Helicoil though, so that is good.

Back
Top Bottom