Nan Loop 3 – Or Figure 8, What Happened There? 231km

TravellingStrom

Bikes
Suzuki Vstrom DL650K6, K7 and K9ABS
OK, back to the riding fun. I did not know how long the day would go for, but I started early at the Hot Bread once again. The owner thought I was leaving town because I arrived so early, LOL. Another great breakfast, a welcome start to the day :)

DSCF0001small.jpg

DSCF0002small.jpg

My planned ride for the day did not actually go as planned, I missed a turn off and got confused by where the SatNav was taking me, so my loop turned into a figure 8 :) Basically I was to go east on the 1168 before turning north on the 1225. I was then supposed to take the minor road to the east on the 1257 at Santi Suk before joining the 1081 and going north once again to Bo Klua. I actually missed the turn off to the 1257 and instead went north and then just followed the 1081 to the east instead, bummer, but it happens. After Bo Klua I head west on the 1256 until it hits the 1081 again where I head south. After doing a short section of the 1081 for the second time I take the next turn west on the 1169 and head back 'home' That was the plan Stan!

A_Map-_Nan_Loop_3_Oct_2012.png

So I headed off via the small village streets until I could find my first waypoint which was my start point. Due to roadworks I got diverted and I then caused a small obstruction as I parked my bike in the middle of the road so I could take a photo of 2 cocks and a dick, a bit rude but you get that ;)

DSCF0012small.jpg

DSCF0011small.jpg

Just around the corner I nearly bumped into some cow handlers and their charges, I stopped until they went passed, I did not want to spook them, they are bigger than me and the road was very narrow. Mind you, most of the cows I have seen on or near the road have been traffic tolerant and they don't do crazy things like the ones back home.

DSCF0013small.jpg

DSCF0014small.jpg

It isn't long before I find my next turn and head north, keeping a wary eye out for the dogs through the villages who have a habit of sleeping in the middle of the road, usually in the shade where they blend in a bit!

DSCF0015small.jpg

DSCF0016small.jpg

DSCF0020small.jpg

DSCF0024small.jpg

It was quite fun taking this smaller minor road, but it was along here I missed the turn off that I had planned, I got confused by the village streets and next thing the SatNav said was to go straight ahead, which I did, but I should have taken the other road. Oh well, never mind and as I did not find out until later, nothing could be done about it. So, I was still on the the minor road 1225 leading to the 1169 and along here I found a Wat and a large beer bottle :) I have no idea what the bottle is about, but it was itself made of bottles :?:

DSCF0025small.jpg

DSCF0026small.jpg

DSCF0029small.jpg

It was only a few minutes later that I arrived at the junction and here I turned east on the 1081 to BolKlua which was only 50km away. This was a brilliant piece of road, well made very smooth and lots of fast sweeping bends with some hairpins thrown in for good measure, I had a smile on my dial along here and if I was two faced I would have a smile on both sides of my head :):):):) I took some footage along here and I have to say, it was one of the best sections of road I have ridden so far.

DSCF0031small.jpg

DSCF0033small.jpg

DSCF0035small.jpg

DSCF0036small.jpg

DSCF0042small.jpg

DSCF0046small.jpg

I was getting low on fuel and decided to ask this copper at a road check point where I could buy some and there just happened to be a small shack at this little place, what luck, so I grabbed 10lt(it was quite expensive out here so I did not fill up) and headed off for more fun. What they do is pump 5lt into the glass jar from a 44gallon drum, then open the tap and it gravity feeds into the tank, simple but effective :) Check out the fun I had along here in the video, I had to do this all day and in the heat it can get quite tiring manhandling a 400kg bike all over the shop, but I would rather be doing this and getting sore arms than working ;)

DSCF0047small.jpg

DSCF0048small.jpg

DSCF0050small.jpg

DSCF0051small.jpg

As you can see it was quite a smooth ride and although I am no knee or peg scraper I still had mega fun. I arrived at the small town of Pak Huak where I turned north, still on the 1081 but I was now down in the valley and I could see the rice paddies changing to yellow as they dries out. Then I arrived in Bo Klua where I turned west on the 1256 and stopped for a nice cool drink and a packet of chips. I must say, blueberry flavoured Fanta tastes great and so do Sweet Basil chips, I wish they sold these versions in Oz :?:

DSCF0052small.jpg

DSCF0053small.jpg

DSCF0055small.jpg

DSCF0058small.jpg

DSCF0059small.jpg

DSCF0060small.jpg

DSCF0061small.jpg

This area was a lot higher than the earlier hills and there were some real nice climbing turns, only spoilt by the road works, but I guess with all the landslides they get here, then it is a necessary evil, but it is no fun on a heavy bike with loose gravel on a hard surface, it is like marbles, very slippery :( The views made up for it though.

DSCF0062small.jpg

DSCF0063small.jpg

DSCF0066small.jpg

DSCF0070small.jpg

DSCF0071small.jpg

DSCF0073small.jpg

DSCF0074small.jpg

DSCF0076small.jpg

So after another hour or so I decided to stop for lunch, I had not seen too many roadside stalls lately and as it was hot anyway, I figured get some now where there is some as I might dip out later. It was just the usual, meat, noodles in a soup, but quite tasty and it was nice in the shade. When I left I crossed this small bridge which was being used as a drying rack for what looked like rice grains. Now that I was closer to the rice fields, maybe they were going yellow due to being ripe, rather than drying out, not being a farmer I have no idea ;)

DSCF0077small.jpg

DSCF0078small.jpg

DSCF0079small.jpg

DSCF0080small.jpg

DSCF0082small.jpg

After this I arrived in Pua and headed south, back on the 1081 again and it was when I went past the big brown bottle made of bottles again, I realised I had stuffed up earlier, but I was hot and getting fatigued by now, so I continued until I turned south east on the 1169 and by about 2.30pm I was back having a nice cold shower and aircon again, a nice way to finish a ride :)

DSCF0083small.jpg

DSCF0084small.jpg

DSCF0085small.jpg

Here is a profile of the ride today followed by a small video of some different sections, a great day today :)

A_-_Nan_Loop_3_Oct_2012_Profile.png

Around 5.30 I decided to have dinner up at Tony's Place again, I had to return the pizza oven dish from the other day anyway, but I also wanted a few beers. I had checked my routes and visa dates and I could afford to have a day off tomorrow before heading north the day after on the 1148, the T-shirt road. I wanted to be fresh for that, so beer tonight, sleep in and rest up and catch up on the blog tomorrow, sounds like a plan :) As I walked by the hospital I saw a poster with the princess on it, it is quite likely she will be the next monarch of this country, I will say no more as I want to return to this country, but google is your friend as to why the prince may not get a look in.

DSCF0090small.jpg

So I had a few beers and a chat with Tony again, and tried to get bangers and mash, there were no snags but there were hamburger patties made from snag meat, so I had that instead with mashed potatoes underneath and peas, lovely stuff :)

DSCF0091small.jpg

Then Dr Loong turned up again, he had had a few, in fact he had been on the turps since 4am this morning, that is a fair effort indeed!!! Tony found one his books on the shelf and he posed for that :)

IMG_0925small.jpg

We chatted for a while before heading over to a hotel which he has shares in and where some nice chicas were singing :)

DSCF0094small.jpg

DSCF0095small.jpg

DSCF0096small.jpg

After that Tony and I went to Kad Nan, which is an area dedicated to bars, but it is horrible. Imagine half a football field, surrounded by shop fronts facing in and each playing loud music, all different, some live bands, some just tapes, but it was noisy and very annoying, a very disturbing place with all the different vibes competing with each other. Needless to say I did not stay long, Tony had offered me a lift home earlier when he left, but I had declined the offer to stay here, but I soon left and walked home, it was only 30 minutes away, even if I was half cut ;)

Cheers from Nan
TravellingStrom

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you really enjoyed it over there in the Nan Richard, some of the best riding in Thailand - the Kad Nan bar/ beer isn't for everyone it's typical Thai speaker volume.

That Bo Klua loop is beautiful isn't it?

View attachment 11211
The Bo Klua loop above from the new Nan Road & Off-Road printed map

Good photos Richard and glad to see you enjoying some of Tonys lovely food

Its five AM in the morning. I'm still nursing jet lag. Sitting in my office with the heat on and a hot cup of coffee because outside here in the Utah Mountains it is minus three Celsius. Richard, all I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you for making my day with your pics and especially the videos. It was fantastic to relive that ride.

Richard - I see by your blog you're probably heading down towards Luang Phrabang in a few days. Look for this guy. Local fixture, lives right on the main street. Mute. Called "The Lieutenant". Spends his time walking around bumming ciggies. Ten year old picture but I bet he's still around. I never got his full back story from the locals. Would love to know.11256

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Strom is treating you well over here. I had the 650 and miss it a lot. Noticed your SPOT, great peace of mind to have. One suggestion if I may, attach it to you. Reason being if you go down and can't move, it being on your bike 20 feet way doesn't do you much good. My 2 cents. Ride on and keep the rubber side down!

@JustBob. Nice to have met you it is warm here. Thanks for the tip I will check him out when I get there.

It may be a while as I am stuck in Luang Lamtha waiting on parts

@KMA. The Strom had been good but the starter solenoid died finally the other day so I am waiting for a new part, something had been intermittent for a few weeks so it is good that it finally died so I could find it

As for the SPOT, I have it mounted on the dash with a steel lanyard connected to me. This arrangement has been tested in real time and it does come with me when I am accidentally removed from the bike

Cheers
Richard

Back
Top Bottom