Nan-Ban Mani Phruek And Sliding In The Mud

Captain_Slash

Community Manager
Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
The route 1080, 3029, 1291, 4017

Total distance 241 km
DSCF1205.jpg

It was raining hard a lot in the night and I hoped it was only a localized shower as I wanted to go offroad riding today, it was a lovely sunny start and I put on my riding gear still wet from yesterdays storm and set off north on the 1080.
It soon dried out in the warm weather and after Chiang Klang I take a right onto the 3029
DSCF1206.jpg

The roads were dry until I got onto the 1291 then they were still soaked especially in the shade
DSCF1207.jpg

Just before Ban Mani Phruek I take a dirt track which is not too slippery
DSCF1208.jpg

DSCF1209.jpg

The double track goes left at a sharp corner and the track showing on the Esri is now this single track but as its only about 600 metres to go I give it a try
DSCF1210.jpg

This 600 metres took a long time as it was so slippery, I might as well have had racing slicks on for the grip I was getting from my tyres.
I just let the KLX trundle along in 1st following a rut but I was getting concerned as it was downhill and if the track didnt go through getting back up would have been a real problem
DSCF1211.jpg

DSCF1212.jpg

DSCF1213.jpg

At last I get out of that horrible single track
DSCF1214.jpg

Looking back up it
DSCF1215.jpg

Its quite high altitude here and to say its a bit chilly would be an understatement
DSCF1216.jpg

Thats a good idea, you get that fire going
DSCF1217.jpg

DSCF1218.jpg

DSCF1219.jpg

DSCF1220.jpg

Ban Mani Phruek and now its clouded right over but thankfully no rain today
DSCF1221.jpg

DSCF1222.jpg

Now to try to ride this dirt track that should take me over to join the 1080/1081 somewhere
DSCF1223.jpg

DSCF1224.jpg

I hadnt gone far before noticing that something had cut the sides of the track, I soon found out what
DSCF1225.jpg

DSCF1226.jpg

Unfortunately the track is like a skid pan riding on that red stuff and I slide all over the place but somehow managing to stay on.
I am hoping to go all the way but after 7km a Thai rides the other way on a Honda Wave and I ask him if this goes to Huai Kon.
He motions a fallen tree has blocked the road ahead and no going through so I reluctantly turn round and follow him back somehow managing to get back up the slippery hills
DSCF1227.jpg

Back on the asphalt of the 4017
DSCF1228.jpg

DSCF1229.jpg

DSCF1230.jpg

That infernal rain ruined the offroad bits but I am determined to do this track, it may have to wait until next trip that I hope to make here in march before I go home
DSCF1232.jpg

Full English breakfast for 160 Baht at Tonys Place

You can get the gdb file from my website here … http://www.captainslash.com

Ally is away until the 10th january so until she gets back the gdb files will not get uploaded, either on 10th or 11th

Cool. I see proper offroad tires and rimlocks in your future if you're enjoying this stuff. :DD Appreciate the off-tarmac reports.

No Alex I will be sticking with the OE tyres as most of my riding is on asphalt but I enjoy exploring the easier offroad stuff

Back
Top Bottom