Nam Nga - Ban Lathane

Pounce

K6dU4pI.jpg

Has anyone done this route in the last 3 years or so?
I'm planning my trip for this Dec/Jan & am thinking of doing it again as I did it on my own 4 years ago. Back then it was a great section of about 30klm's of single trail over the mountains.
Is the guesthouse in Ban Lathane still open in case we need to stay there?
I'm thinking of putting the bikes on a boat at BL & go the short distance up the Mekong to Pak Ou as I haven't been there yet.

Day 6, halfway down the 1st page here if anyone hasn't seen it.
http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...7-northern-laos-december-2011-been-there.html

Can you give more specific locations from your screen shot I'm in laos now and will ride if it's in my location on the way back north

You're a champion Bob, Phil has asked about this route before as he was thinking of taking the big bikes along it, so it may be a nice little ride to have a look.
CLICK - http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/trail-riding-reports-laos/1440-pak-ou-ferry-route.html

Nam Nga is soth of Oudomxai where this old bridge is.
N20 10 59 E 101 56 03
Yy9okAz.jpg

P1010320.jpg

Ban Lathane is on the northern bank of the Mekong 10klm's north west of Pak Ou & the only way to get there form the east, west or south is by boat.
N20 05 24 E102 07 47
WvLBw5h.jpg

P1010347.jpg

Here's a .gpx file of the roue made using Dons map
View attachment Nam Nga to Boat to Pak Ou.gpx

I just looked at my old gpx tracks on Google Earth from when I did it.
It looks like part of Google Earth has up to date satellite pics & the bit where I had to turn around is now a big road.

P1010329.jpg

4VrxK7G.jpg

Also, where this pic was taken is now a road too.

P1010336.jpg

mfAtsdL.jpg

So it looks like I've answered my own questions.

It still may be worth riding if you have the time to update your gps maps anyway.
Thanks.

P1010329.jpg

Hmmm, if thats the same tree it added an extra hour to my ride on that trail. I believe it was maybe 100 meters past a little water crossing. 2012 I believe when I did it.
I really enjoyed that ride.

This track is now able to be done in a car if it's not wet.

The Chinese railway has dozens of work sites along this whole route, so it's as rough as that old girlfriend you don't talk about & some of the hills are steepish. You will probably get caught behind trucks to in some places.

It was a shit road really in the all day rain 2 weeks ago

Back
Top Bottom