N.O.B ride Friday 28th September, 2012

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Mr. Sneds is back from prison, Justin has his 300 big bore kit, LivinLOS has no panties to iron, Alex will have his chian tension-er fixed by then ----- so anyone got some ideas?

Maybe SW towards Doi Inthanon and a starting point more SW from Chiang Mai with trailer parking???

Who's in?

Max found some new trails SW of Samoeng that might be worth looking at too

Those are the trails we did with Matt, Johnny and Alex a few weeks ago. I think Alex knows a lot in this area, only thing is it's a bit far out.

I have no objection to being a ways out of town, as long as its around a planned loop thats starts and ends, not wanting to do 30ks of rd miles to get back to where ever the car is.

You dont know the half of it.. Bike was all prepped and on the trailer, all gear laid out.. Then damage control all night.. Literally all night. Tried to sleep at 6 and failed. FML.

This week will turn my damn phone off.

You dont know the half of it.. Bike was all prepped and on the trailer, all gear laid out.. Then damage control all night.. Literally all night. Tried to sleep at 6 and failed. FML.

This week will turn my damn phone off.

As a wise old man once told me - "Never under-estimate the power of the bearded clam".

Or a shaved one.. No while there was a middle of the night call from that side the damage control was UK family.

Looks like meeting in Samoeng is good for everyone.

How about 10am at the small coffee shop below (there's parking opposite) , which is a "left and a right" at the T junction in Samoeng town? Everyone can get fuel at the PTT shown on the map too.

View attachment 10221

Zoom below of the coffee shop, its a small dark brown, teak coffee shop, parking opposite

N18.84761

E98.73154

View attachment 10222

Some tracks in that area that may be interesting
Some slippy mud, but others more sandy kind of trails
ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 25 21.17.jpg

We've got it all mapped

6909343238_22bb2590f0_b.jpg

The wooden Wat south of Samoeng is beautiful

6909343488_d1907b1f5d_b.jpg

Some fun trails down that way too

6909349434_742ec52aec_b.jpg

6909336980_edf58c73cf_b.jpg

Am out. Serious emergency.

No jokes.

Good to have a tow rope with you

attachment.php

Just got back from a ride today with Dazza and Paul. We went up the above pictured "Death Highway" as someone has named it. We thought with the drier weather we've had lately it would all be nothing but bliss. Reality set in a few KM up the trail when crossing a stream Dazza sent the Husaberg diving for clams. Good thing with the two atroke is a bit of yanking plugs and ejecting water from the cylinder it fired up with not too much effort. Onward through the fog to the above climb. The three of us all gave it shot and the results were not too pretty. Dazz got the Berg up but it took a lot of effort and two people pulling and pushing on the bike.......and he had a Trials tire on the bike. Next was Paul with a galant effort until his bike failed to cooperate and through a four stroke tantrum refusing to start and overheating. I made the usual spastic attempts but it is just a bit too slick at this point in the season. Maybe a another week of drier weather will make it passable.

The damn trail did not look difficult it was just the slickness that caused us to throw in the towel. Just something to keep in mind when choosing trails for Friday out this direction.

Weeks ago Rudi and George did a trail that Rudi had a lot of helmet cam footage that ended in Samoeng. It looked great with a lot of singletrack yet it was makeable in the rain. Anybody know where that track is?????

Weeks ago Rudi and George did a trail that Rudi had a lot of helmet cam footage that ended in Samoeng. It looked great with a lot of singletrack yet it was makeable in the rain. Anybody know where that track is?????

I think its the one we did on a nob ride, the lower part of the green track in phil's foto above.
I'd like to try it again from the samoeng/mae win track side
That track is easier than death valley

I'm going………. 10 o'clock in Samoeng.
I'm thinking I might take the pickup; there is room for another bike or 2 if any ones interested PM me. I'm coming from the Borsang side of town.

I have 2 Thais thinking of joining as well,coming up from Lampoon.

I'm just going to ride the road to the meeting point in Samoeng fae my hoose (40Km), bit far but what the heck.

Personally I still think it better to turn off before mae win and up that singletrack to avoid all the road miles
anyway should see you in morning

Awesome ride yesterday, I had a blast, thanks for leading us Alex - just uploading the Video, the Youtube uploader says 580 minutes, I hope the connection stays on.

There was a little bit too much concrete to start off with but then it got really nice, some great trails south of Samoeng

8034519225_00644fe578_b.jpg

8034518156_12458f4a52_b.jpg

8034519935_fc18153490_b.jpg

8034520121_e90c23f8cb_b.jpg

8034520411_7f5f9a6959_b.jpg

8034519790_35600f246a_b.jpg

Thanks for a good ride lads, some good trails. Big thanks to Alex for navigating.

Yeah it was a good day, Alex did a pretty god job navigating, thanks for that. I'd like to do these trials again with a working GPS as it was easy to get on the wrong trail, as we all found out near the end.

Stretching the Bergs legs a wee bit in the video below, it felt fast as f**k but was actually only a maximum of 90 km/hr on the Contour GPS video.

Thanks, and sorry about the mess at the start, as you can see, it's not all that straightforward sometimes
It felt like I was slowing you all down, being at the front
I too was impressed with Rudi's bike,I'd never seen an xr250 go like that before

Another video, me, Soapy, Johnny and Alex

I too was impressed with Rudi's bike,I'd never seen an xr250 go like that before

Alex, the fact it's an XR600 not a 250 might have something to do with it!

Just make sure you're not behind it when he winds the throttle on, on a stony road. The torque just rips up the track and peppers anyone behind.

Great ride boys. Made a welcome change from the boring clay of Sutthep. Next time if we have a planned route maybe we can email it out in advance of the ride so we can all have an idea where we are headed if its not too much headache. Once again a fun ride and 80% great tracks.

Rudi loved the music tracks in the first 3/4 of the vid. The footage shooting backwards was fantastic!!

Dazz what PV spring are you running? That thing sounds lovely and crisp compared to the dull drone of the fourstrokes.

Great ride boys. Made a welcome change from the boring clay of Sutthep. Next time if we have a planned route maybe we can email it out in advance of the ride so we can all have an idea where we are headed if its not too much headache. Once again a fun ride and 80% great tracks.

Rudi loved the music tracks in the first 3/4 of the vid. The footage shooting backwards was fantastic!!

Dazz what PV spring are you running? That thing sounds lovely and crisp compared to the dull drone of the fourstrokes.

The yellow spring (middle) which is more than enough , probably better off with the green spring with the trials tyre due to not much sidewall grip, that's laziness for you.

Alex, the fact it's an XR600 not a 250 might have something to do with it!

Just make sure you're not behind it when he winds the throttle on, on a stony road. The torque just rips up the track and peppers anyone behind.

One day you should try riding behind yourself, if you talk about peppering... I got peppered to, whenever you speed up, I think that's the fun of the game...the Husaberg is a hell of a machine

One day you should try riding behind yourself, if you talk about peppering... I got peppered to, whenever you speed up, I think that's the fun of the game...the Husaberg is a hell of a machine

I know, what a cheek, Mr Husaberg and the mud windmill.
Very enjoyable day oot look forward to visiting this area again. Felt great after this one, especially on the way home in the car!!!
Great videos by the way thanks for taking the time to upload them.

Johnny, I saw you feeling good in the car on the way back- ran oot o sick bags?

Back
Top Bottom