N. Laos for Six Days from CM

KMA

Bikes
05 KTM 250 excf, 96 XR250
When someone who speaks fluent thai (similar to Lao'n) and has been to Laos at least three times asks if you want to go, you say hell yes! Our plan was loose and we pretty much just played it by ear everyday. This worked out pretty well I think.
So two guys on KLX 250's leave Chiang Mai on a friday and head for the Chiang khong border of Laos
Lunch with a friend in Chiang Rai first for some beta on directions.
P1020751.jpg

Smart and pretty
P1020752.jpg

OK let's get two flat tires before we even get into Laos and get them out of the way. No problems after these
SAM_0495.jpg

P1020760.jpg

me at the Mee Kong River
SAM_0496.jpg

loadin the bikes to cross over into Laos
SAM_0502.jpg

SAM_0501.jpg

SAM_0503.jpg

SAM_0504.jpg

looking back across the river at thailand
SAM_0511.jpg

friggin border customs and crap in laos took almost three hours
lunch before we hit the road to the town of Namtha
SAM_0510.jpg

funny thing is when you leave thailand driving on the left you get into laos and drive on the right
SAM_0509.jpg

it was getting late so we checked out a couple rooms in Phouka but decided to press on
SAM_0513.jpg

nice view from the small guest house
SAM_0512.jpg

roadside carnage
SAM_0515-1.jpg

We got into beautiful downtown Namtha just in time for sunset
this would actually be the best accommodations of the trip, who knew?
SAM_0517.jpg

P1020773.jpg

P1020784.jpg

day one of riding we chose something offroad that looked to follow the Namtha river for miles. welcome to dee jungle
SAM_0519.jpg

Peter asking this old dude for some info. I offered him a little money and he refused & said he owned a rubber tree farm nearby, proud people
SAM_0520.jpg

the road was pretty well used and had real bridges
SAM_0523.jpg

looking off the bridge
SAM_0522.jpg

SAM_0525.jpg

it was right about here we found a small road that went up to a remote village
SAM_0526.jpg

some local guys on the way up a small river by the road
SAM_0528.jpg

heading into the village
SAM_0529.jpg

SAM_0535.jpg

some of the more remote villages the people don't really approach you, some of them as we find out
SAM_0534.jpg

the road ended and we were now on trail
SAM_0532.jpg

SAM_0531.jpg

we ran out of trail and had to turn the bikes around here between a drop off and a hill. We had no room to spare and it was a little hairy
SAM_0530.jpg

were out
SAM_0533.jpg

SAM_0536.jpg

back on the main road
SAM_0539.jpg

SAM_0541.jpg

the gps said there was a small lake up this side road, not. turned out to be a trash dump
SAM_0542.jpg

then on the way back we hit a traffic jam
SAM_0543.jpg

because of this
SAM_0544.jpg

SAM_0545.jpg

we only had to wait about 30 minutes. some people had been there for 2 hours!
SAM_0546.jpg

So it was an easy day ride to Udon Xay. We decided we would just take some roads off the main road and see some more villages etc
lunch stop on the way
SAM_0609.jpg

SAM_0608-1.jpg

back into somewhere off the main road. looked promising
SAM_0614.jpg

SAM_0592.jpg

this kid looked at me like I was from outter space
SAM_0593.jpg

the GPS track ended but we kept going on past the village
SAM_0603.jpg

We ran into this villager who said his hut was up near the end of the road and to follow him if we wanted to, OK!
SAM_0595.jpg

they offered us something to drink but it was in some nasty kettle, decline. He said in the rainy season they rarely get out.
Million dollar view??
SAM_0597.jpg

SAM_0596.jpg

P1020830.jpg

then he says his wifes hut is further down the trail so we go to check it out. there were motorbikes but no one came out. I think they were a little freaked out about the space men
SAM_0600.jpg

SAM_0594.jpg

on the way back out thru the main village we spotted this. They stick these low hp motors on these old trucks and chug around, slowly
SAM_0606.jpg

smoke house? I didn't get a picture but this pregnant villager came out to look at us. She blew a big snot bomb and went back into her hut. Just the kind of girl you want to take home to your mother :<)
SAM_0607.jpg

From here it was pretty straight forward to Udon Xay. Wish I could remember the hotel we stayed at, pretty decent
Next day we were gonna try to make it to the t-land border crossing above Nan
On the way some good stuff
this road dead ended but was fun anyway
SAM_0612.jpg

these guys are everywhere. So if you get really hungry...
SAM_0598.jpg

rummaging for corn kernels
SAM_0610.jpg

just out of the corner of my eye I spot these guys working just off the road
SAM_0626-1.jpg

Down another back road to another remote village
SAM_0578.jpg

SAM_0590.jpg

now this village was pretty cool. they had power lines brought in by some chinese company but after finishing 2 months ago still no power
SAM_0582.jpg

SAM_0581.jpg

loved this guy!
SAM_0585-1.jpg

So the chinese contractors just left this tractor for whatever reason
P1020820-1.jpg

P1020822.jpg

P1020818.jpg

So just as were leaving this little Albino kid comes out. He can't see very well and is covering his eyes. He is half naked and really dirty. Peter tried to give him some peanuts but he couldn't see them real well and kept dropping them on the dirt, picking them up and eating them. This was a pretty sad moment, for me at least
SAM_0589.jpg

SAM_0588-1.jpg

back down the road we go
P1020840.jpg

so I gotta take a piss and pull over. all of the sudden this woman pops out of the bushes across the road and goes running down the road mumbling something. Peter goes over to talk with them, said they were nice but there was something not quite right with the one (sitting looking at camera) that saw me pissin
P1020838.jpg

Our last village stop before crossing the river towards the border
SAM_0621.jpg

P1020835.jpg

SAM_0618.jpg

You see these kids all over walking/riding home from school
SAM_0624.jpg

River crossing
SAM_0633.jpg

this was pretty cool. this truck rolls on and now the back of the ferry is stuck on the landing, no problem. The truck backs up guns it forward and then slams on his brakes to rock us forward. It took about five times but got us going. Love the way they adapt to situations. In the states you would never get away with this, f'n safety rules!
P1020843.jpg

P1020850.jpg

on the other side and on to the border
P1020851.jpg

Last gas stop before the border to get rid of our kip (lao banana republic money) this would turn out to bite me in the ass later
P1020841.jpg

Back in thailand and trying to make it to Chiang Kham before dark, not. Some cool stuff on the way though. Lots of mtn roads and stunning views.
SAM_0635.jpg

After riding over 300 kilos we pulled into town in the dark and found a decent place for the night
P1020858.jpg

last breakfast of the trip
SAM_0636.jpg

on the road towards Lake Phayao for lunch & bam, check point!
Peter got offered to take one of the check point girls back home with him, he politely declined
SAM_0638.jpg

Lunch & coffee in Phayao. I didn't eat and candy bar'd it all the way home
SAM_0640.jpg

Looking back down at view of Phayao
SAM_0641.jpg

P1020861.jpg

So that's about it. That last gas stop in Laos I lost my wallet, atm, credit cards and 50,000 kip. No worries man, it's only money!!
Ride while you can YFF'RS
SAM_0420.jpg

and of course don't forget your genuine Giant Loop Saddlebag! (shameless plug for Dave and his peeps at GL)
SAM_0536-1.jpg

Looks like Max's KLX 250 is getting some serious use.

Great report, looks like you had a great time, thanks for sharing.

Cool pics & story.
I'll be heading up that way in 2 weeks.
Any chance you have the gps files available to look at?
Thanks for the story.

Car ferry for motorcycles in Chiang Khong is 500 bht, how much did the small boat charge to get across the Mekong?

SAM_0501.jpg

Back
Top Bottom