Myawaddy

Joko_Londo

Bikes
Kenbo 125
The Mae Sot - Myawaddy border is one the most common motorcycle entries from Thailand into Myanmar.

All the travel sites say there's nothing to see or do in Myawaddy. How wrong!

I went there last week just to gamble, but I learned there was a bit more to the place...

There's relatively few entries into Myanmar by vehicle, irrespective of the border. However, you're right in that Myawaddy is the most popular overland border crossing between Thailand and Myanmar. Although there may be more crossings at the Mae Sai-Tachilek border, the vast majority of these are Thais on day trips.

I agree that Myawaddy is worth a stop, the crocodile temple is nice as is that temple up on the hill with great views over to Thailand (not sure of the name). The Myawaddy hotel is a dump though, better stay at one of the newer places along the highway such as the Thukkawaddy Hotel or Hotel 3 Stars, about 100m off the main road.

There's several other videos from this Myawaddy trip, but I haven't posted them because they didn't include anything motorcycle themed. In this part 5 of the trip, I've left Myawaddy behind, the girlfriend has gone back to Yangon, and I've gone to Taungoo - an ancient city, scenic and most importantly, the town where my other girl lives. My Kenbo 125 was parked in Taungoo (can't drive it here in Yangon). So I spent the last 4 days of my trip in and around Taungoo just to ride my little Chinese step-through.

There's a blog that goes with this video too.

Always love your posts and especially the video as it presents 'your' perspective' which is really worthy of sharing.

Thanks for all the effort you put into these and keep them coming :)

So, this thread is no longer about Myawaddy.. perhaps it should go in the "Waterways" thread as it features a rather unusual lake. It was first noticed by a friend of mine who was considering a bicycle ride over the Bago Hills, a low rise which runs north-south down the middle of the Burmese plain. He found it using Google Earth... and it's odd for it's absence and Google Maps...

Check out this map showing area west of the city of Taungoo:
44282918_10214909247343506_2656481313170653184_n.jpg

Now, here's the same area on Google Earth:

44296794_10214909247223503_3709695547137851392_n.jpg

Wow! Look at the size of that lake! And I could find no mention of it anywhere on the internet. Not even a name. Now, I know. It's Kabaung Lake.

Novel human friendly structure @ 1:00, amazing footpath? ;)

Great vid Joko, looked like a nice ride out, thanks for sharing.

I dunno. Religious sites built to look old out in the middle of nowhere. Makes for a nice end to the Taungoo part of the video series, since I'd seen everywhere else.

Nice dance routine, yes temples some folk love them, some hate them i personally love them the older the better.

Back
Top Bottom