my friend and old school wrench in Singapore: Yee

Kamakura Kid

Some of you may have seen this in ADVR, but what the hey.

While I was stationed in Singapore 2000 - 2002, I would take my HD to SUNBURST for repairs and mods instead of to the HD dealership. Yee is the owner/mechanic and he is definitely an old school mechanic. Shipping costs make picking/choosing from catalogs very expensive, so pretty much anything that is not HD specific he makes from locally available items. Here are some pix I took when I visited his shop while I was in Singapore a couple weeks ago.

The Government of Singapore makes is prohibitively expensive to own a bike or car more than ten years after the manufacture date, so most of the bikes in his shop are newer HDs. Yee doesn't consider himself a HD only guy, just that most of his customers are HD owners.

The man himself
P2070465.jpg

drool worthy Kawasaki Z1R
P2060453.jpg

CB350 Four based cafe racer which Yee put together
P2060449.jpg

old style fire extinguisher welded to HD. Yee says that was a popular mod on old Triumphs.
P2060447.jpg

here's a good example of making do with local stuff. The fuel petcock is a LPG gas line valve "liberated" from a food hawker stall. Yee bent all the copper lines himself. He used to make his own oil tanks by welding two fire extinguishers together, but he says these days its actually pretty easy to get an aftermarket tank in Singapore. All he does is to plumb in a valve to facilitate draining the tank. The air cleaner is from a car, and took some work to mate to the Keihin (IIRC) carb on the bike. Heater ducting is what he used to make the exhaust heat shields. The last picture is kind of hard to see, but what he did was to reduce the wiring size for most of the loom so he could run the wiring through the frame and clean things up.
P2060448.jpg

P2070463.jpg

P2070464.jpg

P2070461.jpg

Re: my friend and lod school wrench in Singapore: Yee

Here's a V-Rod he worked on. The big mod is moving the gauge cluster off the handlebars and into a mounting he fabbed on the faux tank
P2070502.jpg

said it took a lot of measuring and calculating to get both the look and enough handlebar clearance at full lock
P2070503.jpg

P2070504.jpg

aluminum endcap he fabbed for swingarm mount to hide the large nut, normally exposed
P2070492.jpg

his shop
P2060457.jpg

P2070472.jpg

P2060454.jpg

P2070473.jpg

Can you supply the address of the shop?
Would he be interested in selling the Z1?

Brian66 said:
Can you supply the address of the shop?
Would he be interested in selling the Z1?

Blk 5034 Ang Mo Kio Ind Park 2 #01-315 Singapore 569537
phone (+65) 9119 9652

I doubt he's interested in selling the Z1R, he's had it in his shop for years IIRC. Never hurts to ask, though.

Back
Top Bottom