My 2001 BMW F650GS; maintenance, modifications and TLC

brake034

Bikes
Suzuki GD110HU, BMW F650GS
To follow up on the Beemer I bought recently: BMW F650GS

1) The foreign owner in Chiang Rai was not the first owner, he bought the bike used in Bangkok in 2013, since new the bike had foreign owners till 2 years ago. The book and plate were changed from Bangkok to Chiang Rai in 2013.

2) The 27.xxx are actually miles, the original KM cockpit was dead so it was exchanged for a used one in miles, with almost identical mileage to the KM one.

It had been unused for a couple of years and needed some work, in 2013/14 Barcelona Chiang Mai repaired a leaking head gasket and the water pump. The rest of the maintenance work had been done by Mr. See in Chiang Rai who unfortunately passed away.

Actually it has again hardly been used since 2013 and after a good inspection of the bike it does not seem to be messed around with.

My plan is to do all the necessary work like change the dried out tires, change all fluids, replace chain and sprockets and check all the safety systems.
Than the plan is to drive it till something happens and we will see from there what needs to be done.

So, first issue, new tires. It seems the original (and currently mounted) Metzeler Tourance tires are not so easy to get in Thailand?
However the Tourance Next is readily available, this is a 90-10 Enduro tire which will fit my requirements.
Anyone has experiences with the Tourance Next??

Mine came new in 2005 with Michelin Anakee's and they were fine, I think they are Anakee 3s now

Current Tourance's mounted are dated 2005, think that makes them the 2nd pair.
Thread is still OK but both front and rear are dried out, so I think I will go for the Tourance Next.
The Anakee 3's are available too.

They came out quite nice, too bad the alu covers were damaged beyond saving.....
LRM_EXPORT_20180717_123746.jpg

Swapped the spark plug (wrong one installed....) for a NGK Iridium DR8EIX.
That helps, it starts easier and also it drives smoother.

Next Monday we plan to bring the bike to Khun Tum, Chiang Rai Quality Tyre & Service Centre

So far on the service wish list:
1) Chain and sprockets renewal
2) Change all fluids
3) Change all filters
4) Check valve clearance
5) Front and rear brake pads renewal, check discs and hoses
6) Replace seals, dust covers and oil front fork
7) New front and rear tires
8) Check and lubricate steering head, wheel and suspension bearings
9) Check all cables, re-grease or replace if needed
10) Check all hoses (cooling system) for cracks, replace if needed
11) Any suggestions?

I knew I had one and found it back today, an automatic brake air bleeding valve, in the toolbox now....
Now trying my rusty German language skills to read the manual :p
LRM_EXPORT_20180729_115623.jpg

At Khun Tum's shop today:
LRM_EXPORT_20180730_132104.jpg

Last edited:
So far;
New Metzeler Tourance Next, tubes and mounting/balancing: ~11.000 baht

New chain, front and rear sprockets, ~3.100 baht
received_635878940126630.jpg

Yep, needed new ones :oops:

New front and rear brake pads, flush system and new oil, 3.000 baht
received_635878843459973.jpg

Yep, needed new ones too :cry:

Good on you for getting the girl back up and running!!!! I reckon almost the perfect bike for most things over here.

Thanks Bigntall, yes, I think so too.

After the maintenance some ergonomics will need to be reconsidered.
Due to my length the foot pegs are not in an ideal location and I want to raise the handlebar (which I will replace for a new one).
Fortunately there are still some enthusiasts making these parts new!

Seems in the future I will need to replace one upper leg (stanchion?) of the front fork, due to minor damage.
Khun Tum is checking if someone in Thailand has a used one, else I will need to get one from the U.K./Germany.

The new brake pads and chain & sprockets will be Thai brands, Jomthai Asahi for the last.
received_635878900126634.jpg

received_635878910126633.jpg

It is due to the big motorcycle manufacturing and components industry in Thailand that these "generic" parts are easily available, even in Chiang Rai! (y)
Making it easier to keep a 17 year old bike going well.......

Both inner fork legs are damaged beyond repair (due to a crash?), Tum is trying to source some used ones in Thailand.
Else I will get new ones from Italy as they still make new ones there. Also new fork seals, dust covers and wheel bearings are needed.

LRM_EXPORT_20180801_154734.jpg

As with every bike resto you are bound to find a few surprises along the way. Fact is when your done the bike will be as you want it and mechanically sound and will run for years to come.

True Bob, for such a restoration job in Europe the labor costs would be far more than the cost of the parts, here in Thailand the parts cost will far exceed the labor costs. I am happy with the effort and care Khun Tum is putting into it and it's exciting to see what he is discovering.

The challenge will be to source the non generic components like the stanchions in a cost effective and timely manner.

What I do not understand is the lack of proper maintenance, brake pads worn to the metal, that rounded off front sprocket and tires dating from 2005. This bike has not had a lot of TLC most of it's life, fortunately we can change that around......

Tomorrow I am going to Tum to sit down with him and make a list of parts we need to source in Europe.
www.motorworks.co.uk is a great source for these older BMW's, I called them and they have a set of new stanchions in stock!

Today replace all wheel bearings; 1.170 baht.....
38200084_638942203153637_6530917284498636800_n.jpg

The Tourance Next tires arrived, a 90/10 tire type.
LRM_EXPORT_20180802_195431.jpg

New chain, sprockets and rear tire mounted:
LRM_EXPORT_20180804_145937.jpg

Have been making up the goodies list to be ordered, including a replacement lower steering yoke, about 30K baht.
The rear shock needs replacement too, I am thinking to get a YSS as easy to service local and price competitive at 10K baht versus an Ohlins at almost 30K.

The original Showa and for example the Ohlins have a remote pre load adjustment knob, the YSS has a conventional pre load adjustment collar on the shock itself. But at the price point and local made the YSS is hard to beat.

Various parts orders are on their way, two from Australia, one from China (wide stainless footpegs) and a major spares order from the U.K.

From Ratel in Australia we are getting Peg Brackets, Bar raisers, a Case Saver, a Voltage Regulator Bracket, a Chain Guide Bracket and a Chain Guide: RATEL engineering design - BMW 650GS/Dakar/Sertao YZ/WR suspension upgrade

Also from Australia I am getting a Pro Taper 7/8" ATV Mid Bend Black Handlebar.

Let's see if motorcycle parts import from Australia to Thailand is really import duty exempt........

If your shipping with DHL expect to get your wallet out Marcel.

Also from Australia I am getting a Pro Taper 7/8" ATV Mid Bend Black Handlebar.
Let's see if motorcycle parts import from Australia to Thailand is really import duty exempt........
Well the Pro Taper arrived today, the import duty came at 30% and the VAT 7%? No tax document with the delivery.....

If your shipping with DHL expect to get your wallet out Marcel.
Never use courier, postal services is best. But often the post sends taxable packages to Mae Sai customs, it's a nice trip and costs big time too o_O

The two parcels from the UK arrived too, again with 30% import duty and 7% VAT but for some reason they got their exchange rates wrong.
That saved me at least 3k baht :love:

Holly shit.
Have 850.000 THB parts on the way down from China just now? just hope there get the exchange rates wrong with me lol

Let me guess, ATV/quad engines and parts?? :p

I hope it is in various parcels, lots of parcels.......
Initially motorcycle parts were 40% but have been reduced to 30% import duty.
I know there is some free trade agreement between China and Thailand but not sure this also covers motorcycle parts?!
The tariff code for motorcycle parts is 8714.10

Thanks for the advice.
For your information which may be handy for future stuff coming in from China.
Many shippers are arranging to ship from Kunming to your door in Thailand for a KG cost including Tax, duty and VAT?
Best cost I have got is 72 THB per Kg, and over 1500 Kg down to 62 THB and over 2000 Kg best so far is 58 THB.
Need to wait 2 weeks to see how it pans out.?

And this applies to ANY goods so I have been told?

UTV engines, motorbike parts, etc

I often order parts and gear from China, both via Lazada and AliExpress.
I never had to pay tax/VAT, they were always delivered at my door but realistically they were just small orders.

I ordered a leather bike jacket in The Netherlands and had to collect it at customs in Mae Sai, paying the full amount of tax and VAT only to find out it was too small :geek:.... Some guy at CRBBR now owns it

I often order parts and gear from China, both via Lazada and AliExpress.
I never had to pay tax/VAT, they were always delivered at my door but realistically they were just small orders.

I ordered a leather bike jacket in The Netherlands and had to collect it at customs in Mae Sai, paying the full amount of tax and VAT only to find out it was too small :geek:.... Some guy at CRBBR now owns it
Yes I can remember that day I think I was at your house at the time you sold it lol

Front fork coming together with all new wear parts and a replacement (used) bottom yoke.
39200177_652791661768691_2395255354913980416_n.jpg

39154887_652792268435297_8761285838442070016_n.jpg

39169632_652792371768620_226548976424321024_n.jpg

After my return from China we have moved the Beemer from Tham's shop to Kong's workshop.
Tham was both too busy and also some of the technical work was out of his comfort zone.

Kong found out the rear shock is still 70% so we will not yet replace that.
The front fork was still out by 5%, Kong will try to improve alignment and finish the outstanding technical work.

Kong pointed out that the bike's frontal damage needed additional attention and improved cosmetics.
However some of the parts needed for a decent repair are not easily available, for a decent price that is.
We are still sourcing the last 2nd hand body parts for a decent repair, we hope all finished in 2-3 weeks.......

The last parts arrived today from the UK, in the next few days we will drop them off at Kong's.
Hopefully the big boy will be ready by the start of the cool season........

Just catching up with your thread. Sorry to hear the fork tubes were beyond repair. Major expense. Years ago when we used to bin our bikes at the track there was a company that provided Fork tubes for us by the name of Fiorking by Frank.. you would just give him the dimensions of the Fork tubes and he would get them cut and milled d for you. cheaper than the breakers yards and obviously OEM. He was located in this States. Sorry I'm too late to have gotten you that information earlier when you could have used it.

The good news is once it sorted you will have a bike you can have complete faith in. Don't feel bad anytime you purchase a second hand bike over here there is shorting out to do. Sadly more so if it has been in Thailand many years.

Once it's up and running I'm sure it'll put a smile on your face for years to come.

Thanks Bigntall, the ones I got from Motorworks are new but not OEM, they are from an Italian company called Tarozzi.
Motorworks also have an exchange program for the fork tubes but that would have required sending my old ones there which is costly too.

Kong has lot's of bikes to work on, here is mine:
45061029-940651186125337-5513472027798798336-n.jpg

So he worked on my bike as a longer term project which I did not mind.

Kong's work is thorough and secure but I do not understand how he manages in such a cramped workshop.
45081549-161328761488331-6432666420089192448-n.jpg

He texted today the bike is ready.

Good to see my CRM has come into view, it's only been waiting for repair for two years :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom