Muang Chiang Mai to Chiang Mai Muang ride instructor wanted

Constantine Phaulkon

I have no idea where this post should go, moderators feel free to move it, but I need some advice on where I can find two things: somebody to teach me off-road riding using a Kawasaki D-tracker or KLX 140 dirt bike, fully manual, when I am in Chiang Mai (CNX) in mid-October, and, two, related to number one in my mind, somebody to rent me a semi-automatic (like the Honda Wave?) or (better? seems to me maybe better) fully manual street legal bike while I am in Chiang Mai in mid-October, so I can tool around town.

Right now I know how to ride a fully automatic underbones scooter like the Honda Click. I've driven a fully manual Kawasaki D-tracker for 1.5 hours without falling off and stalling out only twice (that's progress right? well maybe the not falling off part is not progress by off-road riding standards).

The off-road riding stuff I figured out, since a patron of Rider's Corner Bar & Restaurant has offered to give me some lessons, but I'm not sure if I can rent a manual motorcycle in CNX--hard to find these for rent, though I did find a shop that wanted me to rent to own. Last I checked Tony's Bike Rental, a good shop, they did not have a manual but they did have a semi-auto (Honda Wave) for rent. Other than saving gas, I don't think learning to ride a semi-auto is superior to a fully automatic torque converter like I know now, for city driving? I don't feel that it is--if anything the constant shifting in a stop and start environment is a distraction. So my goal is this: if I rent a fully manual scooter or motorcycle, then I can buy one, and learn to shift really well, with the idea that I can become a better off-road rider--or is that not true? Perhaps riding around CNX is really not a substitute for being on a track? In which case option two is a waste of time, and I might as well just stick to taking lessons on a dirt track, which is option one.

Any advice appreciated.

Re: Muang Chiang Mai to Chiang Mai Muang ride instructor wan

you can rent a klx140 at marc rossi's mxtrack in mae rim, or a klx125 from bicci on huay kaew road.
Then you can practice shifting. It would be good to learn where there's no traffic.
Another choice for onroad is Honda CBR150,fun little bikes, I've been up Doi Inthanon two up on one

Rent a small bike, find a field and go round and round it until you nailed it, if you can drive a manual car, you can ride a geared bike..

Get somebody to come along and take some pictures of you falling off...

You can have a good giggle after...

Good luck :DD

Anyone know if any bike rentals shops have Sonics (scooter with clutch and 5 gears) in Chiang Mai?

Would be perfect for CP to get the feel of things on a field.

OK thanks for the hints. If this rain stops I might get some riding in next month (raining now in the Philippines and CNX too).

Back
Top Bottom