Moving to Bangkok

aurel

Bikes
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi guys,

I'm currently on a world tour with my wife and my KTM 990 Adventure (www.the-great-adventure.fr).

After 6 months in Africa, 7 in South America and 5 in North America we're about to ship the bike to Bangkok in a week. We'll tour around Thailand, Loas, Vietnam, Cambodia, then we'll go to India (I don't know how yet :RE). Then... well, we'll see :phil

We'll spend a few days in Bangkok waiting for the bike and getting it out of the airport so we might bump into some of you or meet you in a bar for a beer! :DD

See you guys!

Aurel & Marion

Aurel - I was on your mailing list for your last trip (I have a KTM 990 Adv too)! --- The clear clutch cover we have shows the water pump seal failure immediately - good to see it worked on your trip.

file.php

Good to see you here

Phil

SimonB said:
Watch out for the water! We've been promised 50 to 100 cm of water for the next month or more!

Simon - I thought the general consensus was that water accumulation in the lower area had peaked, once this flood has been dispersed, the worst would be over? Another storm would not be good.

Any place to recommand in Bangkok for a few nights?

aurel said:

Hi Aurel,

Try asiarooms.com. You can search by areas in Bangkok.

I personnally am thinking about staying out of the city center and getting a hotel near the airport, making it easier to collect the bike from Customs hopefully on the 1st.

The 2 hotels I was looking at are Sinsuvarn Airport Suite Hotel, Bangkok and BS Residence Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok. I think both have free transportation from the airport.

I will be arriving 11pm Saturday night.

Chock Dee Khap

Guys, avoid Bangkok for a few days - we are about to have a tough week or two with the flooding. In simple terms, head East from the airport...

Thank you all for the replies.

BWG950S said:
aurel said:

Hi Aurel,

Try asiarooms.com. You can search by areas in Bangkok.

I personnally am thinking about staying out of the city center and getting a hotel near the airport, making it easier to collect the bike from Customs hopefully on the 1st.

The 2 hotels I was looking at are Sinsuvarn Airport Suite Hotel, Bangkok and BS Residence Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok. I think both have free transportation from the airport.

I will be arriving 11pm Saturday night.

Chock Dee Khap

The second hotel looks better as they have the Wifi, it can be useful to arrange a few things while waiting for the bike.
And after 510 days under the tent we can put 20euro in a hotel for a few nights! :p

We booked the second hotel. We arrive in Thursday, bike should arrive on the 29th. Fingers crossed!

aurel said:
We booked the second hotel. We arrive in Thursday, bike should arrive on the 29th. Fingers crossed!

Not sure if Customs will be open on Saturday and Sunday. There was also a 5 day holiday declared until the 31st because of the floods.

I just saw this... we'll see.

Are you going to stay at BS Residence? We just arrived, hotel is okay, nice swimming pool. WIFI is 3euros/day.

aurel said:
I just saw this... we'll see.

Are you going to stay at BS Residence? We just arrived, hotel is okay, nice swimming pool. WIFI is 3euros/day.

Yes I will be staying there as well. I arrive at 11pm on Saturday night.

Any word on your bike?

The bike flew from Los Angeles to Taiwan yesterday. This morning she is flying from Taiwan to Bangkok. I'm going to the airport at 8am to pick it up. Hopefully it will go smooth.

See you at the hotel tonight or on sunday morning!

Aurel

- If you have any problems - send me a PM

Phil

aurel said:
The bike flew from Los Angeles to Taiwan yesterday. This morning she is flying from Taiwan to Bangkok. I'm going to the airport at 8am to pick it up. Hopefully it will go smooth.

See you at the hotel tonight or on sunday morning!

I was at the airport on saturday, I did all the paperwork with the cargo company but customs were closed. I'm going back this morning, thanks for your offer ;)

Aurel - I presume you are on a Thai tourist immigration visa, it's important that you are when temp. importing a motorcycle into Thailand through Thai customs at the airport, i did the same, report below:

temp-importing-a-mbike-into-thailand-through-bkk-airport-t572.html

aurel said:
I was at the airport on saturday, I did all the paperwork with the cargo company but customs were closed. I'm going back this morning, thanks for your offer ;)

Got the bike out of the airport!! I'm happy!!

Now I need an insurance...

aurel said:
Got the bike out of the airport!! I'm happy!!

Now I need an insurance...

With the floods in Bangkok it may be difficult to find a good place. You could try AA Insurance as they do have motorcycle insurance - many insurance companies don't like to insure bikes. You can get a quote here: http://www.aainsure.net/get_quote.php or try to call them here (they don't seem to have an office in Bangkok):

AA INSURANCE BROKERS CO., LTD.
565/62 Moo 10 (Next to Big C)
South Pattaya
Nongprue, Banglamung
Chonburi 20150, Thailand

Fax: 038 374 251 Int. Fax +66 38 374251

You could also try E-Insure Thailand at http://www.e-insurethailand.com/ or contact them at:

For English: Tony Dabbs : 080-277-4445
For Thai: Kanokwan Dabbs 080-288-4445
E-InsureThailand, 9/38 Moo 2, Preuksa Village 9, Rangsit (khlong 3) Bueng Yitho, Thanyaburi, Pathum Thani 12130
Office: 02-990-8355
Fax: 02-990-8356 (on automatic fax receive)

Hey Aurel!

Have you already found any (cheap) motorbike insurance?

The first time we drove our bikes only from BKK to the Cambodian border so we decided not to make an insurance for only 3 days.

But after our ride trough Cambodia and Laos we´ll entering Thailand again in the North and then we are planing to stay there for about 1 - 2 month, so it would be better to make an insurence!

Maybe you can recommend us some insurance company?

Many Greetings
Bea & Helle

www.timetoride.de

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tejas Barc Introductions 10
fabian_s Introductions 3
Back
Top Bottom