Motorcycle Drag Racing 28/8/12 700 yr stadium Chiang Mai

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Motorcycle Drag Racing 28/8/12 700 yr stadium Chiang Mai 0800am

This is late notice, but tomorrow morning -- Sunday 28th August, 2011, there is motorcycle drag racing at the 700 year stadium on R 121 (Canal Road), 5 Km north of Chiang Mai city at 0800am ... should be interesting.

Some photo's from the north Thailand drag racing event today

drag 1 sign.jpg

Luke tells me that it's open class anything goes & it seems everyone agrees that for the 200m course the scooters are unbeatable

drag 8 lime green wheelie.jpg

drag 2 wheelie.jpg

drag 4 red bike.jpg

drag 3 wheelie.jpg

drag 5 auto head down.jpg

Is it over ?? I was going to get down there lunchtime..

KTMphil said:
Luke tells me that it's open class anything goes & it seems everyone agrees that for the 200m course the scooters are unbeatable

Would have assumed, even with the additional weight, that the larger contact patch and traction control of a big modern sportbike would have won even over a 200m launch ??

still on now

LivinLOS said:
Is it over ?? I was going to get down there lunchtime..

KTMphil said:

Would have assumed, even with the additional weight, that the larger contact patch and traction control of a big modern sportbike would have won even over a 200m launch ??

Have to say I wasn't expecting that.... :LOL

I was thinking more like..

8449ef10dj_long.jpg

Looks like fun though...

Well done gents.. :DD

How fast are they going??

Luke & I were talking about that and we estimated they were doing about 120km/h towards the end of the 200 meter stretch.

Ktm Chris said:
Have to say I wasn't expecting that.... :LOL

I was thinking more like..

8449ef10dj_long.jpg

Looks like fun though...

Well done gents.. :DD

How fast are they going??

Have to say.. some of the well prepped 2 strokes were hauling..

Also some guy in a Audi TT v6 getting his arse spanked by the little rodded up civics..

Made me smile anyway.

You shoud have taken the Golf down there Mr. H - Did you get any photo's of the cars?

LivinLOS said:
Also some guy in a Audi TT v6 getting his arse spanked by the little rodded up civics..

Made me smile anyway.

The guy to Luke's right races in the Moto3 250cc class in the R2M series at the Bangkok area tracks and last race came 5th. He was drag racing on this lime green machine.

drag 18  luke  1000.jpg

KTMphil said:
You shoud have taken the Golf down there Mr. H - Did you get any photo's of the cars?

Not really.. One or two of a yellow civic v truck.. After the bikes the cars looked very sedate, even the 'quick' cars..

I wouldnt want to have got caught up in the whole bruhaha of it.. But wouldnt mind running the blade through the timers once or twice, just for curiosity's sake..

Wow , some pretty good shots there phil, im impressed, just think what they'd look like with a Canon!!

LivinLOS, i guess the reason for them not running sportbikes is that half of them dont even have the money for proper gear let alone a 400k sportsbike! It seems the drag racing scene up here in the north is pretty grassroots with honda dash' and yamaha mio seeming like the weapons of choice!

The best time I saw was set by my friend on his modified Dash which was 8.1secs for the 201m sprint. Apparently in Bangkok they can get into the 6sec bracket with the Open class Honda Dash'!!

Seems phpBB doesnt handle

Stokes70 said:
LivinLOS, i guess the reason for them not running sportbikes is that half of them dont even have the money for proper gear let alone a 400k sportsbike! It seems the drag racing scene up here in the north is pretty grassroots with honda dash' and yamaha mio seeming like the weapons of choice!

No surprise there.. Modded dash and a washing up bottle of octane boosted 95 is the go !! :)

The only surprise was the comment that a lightweight scoot would be unbeatable over 200m.. Nothing to do with them obviously not running big bikes.. Even with the power to weight advantage I kinda doubt it myself. Lots more weight to move, but lots more rubber and power to shove it also. Bet it would be close over 200m tho, very close..

Also noted on the gear, you could see ankle skin, flapping t shirts and the gloves were off the woolen type on most of them.. Hate to go down in that but there was no hanging back..

Back
Top Bottom