Motorbike Passport for Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia? New, real, old or ?

DrGMIA

Pit stop after 6th ride around the world, in USA,
Bikes
Oldest 1931, newest 2016, numerous makes and models in between on several continents
A foreign customer for a Thai registered motorbike rental (650cc) has been offered, for 5,000 THB per country, a "motorbike passport" by the rental agency for a rental in January, 2020. Is there such a single document/book/vehicle, something new starting January, 2020?

"... we do need to prepare a motorbike passport for you which costs 5,000 THB per bike and country. The motorbike passport allows you to cross the border to Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia."

New's to me, did this come from a reputable hire company?

"reputable" - now that's the 5,000 THB question in The Land of Smiles, ehhh? I've not vetted them, nor intend to - maybe the renter, after he does business with them, can shed some light on the company. The business is not based in your area of Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, renter found them via an Internet search. 'nuff said.

Sounds like a rip off to me! I had to get a bike 'passport' from the DMV, was @ 50-100Bht. If the rider is not the owner he would need certified proof of permission to take the bike out of the country but that wouldn't cost over £100.
I enquired years ago at a Chiang Mai renter about going to Laos and he said he would need to get papers and it would cost a few hundred Baht.

Hello everyone, I am a new member and am looking to ride around Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. Because of the import restrictions I am forced to rent.
This story of a bike passport for 5,000 THB was also told to me by German owned "Big Bike Rental" in Bangkok. Here a quote from an Email from him QUOTE
"Hello Vince,

Yes, it is possible to cross the border with our bikes as tourist. However, the rules and regulations are changing from time to time and it is advisable to plan alternative routes or time to get into a neighboring country. We can help you with this" END QUOTE

This refers to a service advertised on his website called "Motor Bike Passport" Motorbike passport - Big Bike Rental Bangkok

Am in doupt about this and am researching hiring now in Chang Mai

Many thanks for accepting my application ... Ride safe .... Vince

Last edited:
We have had our hire bikes go to Laos many times (and I've been into Cambodia on my own bike, but that's a long way away to support a hire bike in the advent of any issues). There's no "bike passport" as such, but there is a considerable amount of paperwork that needs to be completed. We charged a nominal 500 baht for the 15 pages or so of documentation. We have had riders show up at our place on rental bikes from other firms, hoping to have us complete the documents.... sorry, no can do. The owner of the bike has to do it.

Up until the current shitshow with the virus, which has closed the borders, we had the process nailed down fairly well, with never a problem.

How things might change, who knows - until the borders open again.

We have had our hire bikes go to Laos many times (and I've been into Cambodia on my own bike, but that's a long way away to support a hire bike in the advent of any issues). There's no "bike passport" as such, but there is a considerable amount of paperwork that needs to be completed. We charged a nominal 500 baht for the 15 pages or so of documentation. We have had riders show up at our place on rental bikes from other firms, hoping to have us complete the documents.... sorry, no can do. The owner of the bike has to do it.

Up until the current shitshow with the virus, which has closed the borders, we had the process nailed down fairly well, with never a problem.

How things might change, who knows - until the borders open again.
There used to be a bike passport, some years back I believe, for entry into Laos but it was scrapped. Now it's only needed for cars, trucks and buses. The English language print out of your green book is now considered to be the equivalent of the car passport.

Of course, who knows what happens after borders re-open.

My hunch is - I don't see any changes to the entry rules compared with pre-Covid times, with respect to vehicles crossing the border, assuming we will one day go back to open borders and normal travel that existed until early 2020. I don't see it getting easier or more difficult - the rules will probably remain the same.

Myanmar will likely be as difficult if not more so than pre-Covid, thanks to the coup situation and sporadic violence flaring up in some regions. While I am confident the 4 land borders with Thailand will re-open on cue once land borders across the rest of the region do, I have my doubts about seeing any new border crossings opening up any time soon. Even under the Suu Kyi government, there was only mulling and no progress was made in this respect since the original 4 borders opened as full international crossings on Aug 28, 2013. Since then, 2 more crossings with India were upgraded to international status, but compared with the rest of the region, any such changes come by very slowly in Myanmar. I'd be surprised if the Singkorn Pass or the Mae Hong Son (Khun Yuam) border open up before 2025.

Laos is probably going to continue being a pain in the ass regarding motorcycles but at least a lot more straightforward than is the case with Myanmar.

If the bike is not in your name you need written permission of the owner.
If I remember well also a vehicle registration certificate is necessary. The owner for sure will not hand out the green book.

If the bike is not in your name you need written permission of the owner.
If I remember well also a vehicle registration certificate is necessary. The owner for sure will not hand out the green book.
I guess if the owner is a motorcycle rental agency they might not. Now speaking from personal experience, customs generally wants to sight the original book, but there may be exceptions made in some circumstances and if the owner is a rental company, Thai customs will probably be OK with sighting just a copy (preferably a certified copy). I have crossed borders with vehicles not in my name, but had everything I needed with me - the original book and permission from the owner.

I've never attempted taking my pickup truck out of the country without having the blue book with me, and the one time i was planning on taking my motorcycle out I also brought along the green book. There was one time I was with a truck driver who only had a copy of his book and was refused exit at Chiang Khong, so the goods that were being carried to China had to be re-loaded onto another Thai truck before being transported to the Chinese border. He stated that at the Mae Sot/Myawaddy crossing, customs were OK with just a copy of his booklet but not at Chiang Khong.

I guess if the owner is a motorcycle rental agency they might not. Now speaking from personal experience, customs generally wants to sight the original book, but there may be exceptions made in some circumstances and if the owner is a rental company, Thai customs will probably be OK with sighting just a copy (preferably a certified copy). I have crossed borders with vehicles not in my name, but had everything I needed with me - the original book and permission from the owner.

I've never attempted taking my pickup truck out of the country without having the blue book with me, and the one time i was planning on taking my motorcycle out I also brought along the green book. There was one time I was with a truck driver who only had a copy of his book and was refused exit at Chiang Khong, so the goods that were being carried to China had to be re-loaded onto another Thai truck before being transported to the Chinese border. He stated that at the Mae Sot/Myawaddy crossing, customs were OK with just a copy of his booklet but not at Chiang Khong.
It seems to depend on the border guard who is on duty. That company in Bangkok told me to be prepared to change plans and use another crossing. It is the same with the guide situation on entering Thailand with your own bike... hit and miss. Some border posts let you in without a guide and others don't.

Personally I am just gonna hire locally in each country, easiest and least hassle. Will also hire locally in Thailand, Hire in Chiang Mai do north Thailand then hire again locally in South. Do the same in Laos and Cambodia.

stay safe everyone and lets hope that the borders open up soon.... and we can get going... (y)(y)

It seems to depend on the border guard who is on duty. That company in Bangkok told me to be prepared to change plans and use another crossing. It is the same with the guide situation on entering Thailand with your own bike... hit and miss. Some border posts let you in without a guide and others don't.

Personally I am just gonna hire locally in each country, easiest and least hassle. Will also hire locally in Thailand, Hire in Chiang Mai do north Thailand then hire again locally in South. Do the same in Laos and Cambodia.

stay safe everyone and lets hope that the borders open up soon.... and we can get going... (y)(y)
I understand that for vehicles registered in countries other than Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore, whether we're talking cars or motorcycles, it was becoming more and more difficult to avoid the permit and guide requirement.

Indeed I think you're right about the acceptance of photocopies of bike registrations (or car registrations for that matter) - it depends on the border. It is probable that the borders most commonly used by motorcycles to enter Laos (principally Chiang Khong) would allow this, whereas those not used very often may not.

Anyway, we're all looking forward to the borders reopening and to some new adventures.

I'd like to travel up the eastern Shan corridor from Tachilek to Mong Lar, or if the security situation doesn't warrant it then at least Kengtung.

Still wondering if anyone has any reports, pre-Covid, of being able to independently travel this way without a tour (reports by car or motorcycle welcome). I'd be fine with hiring an MTT guide (for 1000 Baht a day) provided I can just show up and do this at the border. I don't want to be forced into purchasing an expensive tour package weeks in advance, as I usually can't plan trips that far in advance due to work and family commitments.

Back
Top Bottom