MOTOGP GOSSIP AND NEWS

Interview with " The Doctor" about the forthcoming season on the Ducati he describes as " a devil "!!

Valentino Rossi gave his first Ducati MotoGP press conference in Italy and was playing down his chances and playing up his problems. Bluff? ... Scroll down for the full story

Valentino Rossi gave a press conference to the rabid Italian press and he was playing down his chances of coming flying out of the blocks and explaining that his shoulder injury and subsequent operation was a lot worse than he (we?) knew.

How is the injury to his shoulder? Will the start of the season recovered?
The shoulder injury was actually much worse than we initially thought. Right now I'm making a good recovery, but now still don't have all the mobility in my arm and I can't quite get under the fairing on the straights. The truth is I'm still not one hundred per cent.

Will it be a hundred percent for the start of the season?
I hope to be at an acceptable level for testing in Malaysia, I'm on time to making a good recovery and the rehab is on course to have a good season. It will be difficult to reach 100% at the start of the season though. After the operation, they said it would not be 100% for five or six months. They worked on the tendon and I have to respect the recuperation time. I don't think that I'll be fully fit until April or May.

This is a surely a big drawback when it comes to developing the new Ducati, no?
The Ducati is a very different bike to the Japanese bikes I've raced in the past. The Ducati is very different from Yamaha and you have to ride it in a more dirty style, so to speak. Obviously I'll try to change and the bike to make it more suitable for my style of riding. It's an aggressive and punchy bike.

Stoner has been able to take it to the limit, what has he got that the other Ducati riders don't?
Casey has great talent and, above all, he's been riding Ducatis for a long time, since 2007. The truth is that it will be difficult to bring something to the Ducati to make it even better. I think we're going to get something more, but will take time – that's logical, no? And I have a problem too in that I'm not in the best shape, physically.

Stoner is in great form and Jorge Lorenzo is the defending champion, are they the favorites for 2011?
Yes, Lorenzo and Stoner are favorites. Lorenzo knows the Yamaha really well and Stoner has the Honda, which is important because the it has an advantage over the rest because it has such a strong engine.

Last year Lorenzo won the title by a landslide, but you were injured, how much did that affect the outcome of the title race? Lorenzo rode very well throughout the year, not just when I was injured. He made very few mistakes and the fact that I was injured doesn't take away any merit from his win.

Lorenzo had some problems with the wall between you in the Yamaha garage, but Hayden has said there will be no wall between you at Ducati, is this true?
Yes, because this time it's me who needs the Nicky's data. With Lorenzo I tried to protect my work, but it really was impossible.

Is this the biggest challenge of your career?
It is certainly a considerable challenge, though very similar to what I faced when I went to Yamaha in 2004. The difference is that now I have two problems I didn't have back then: first it's going to take me some time till I am physically fit and secondly, the Ducati engine is wilder than the M1 was.

" I HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO GO FASTER ON A MOTORCYCLE" Ben Spies interview about the 2011 season and how he will tackle J-Lo.

After an outstanding debut season in MotoGP in 2010 Ben Spies returns for a second year in the World Championship as a factory Yamaha rider, with expectations surrounding the 26 year-old even greater in 2011.

As the American rider prepares for the first official Test at Sepang next week (February 1st-3rd) motogp.com caught up with him to discuss his aims for the three days in Malaysia, as well as his expectations for the forthcoming season. Firstly though Spies talked about his off-season so far, which has included setting up his own cycling team and with whom he spent last week at a South Texas training camp.

“I have been getting the cycling team going and we had our first race a couple of days ago, it’s been great fun” Spies explained. “I’ve been doing my own training too, and getting ready for the first Test. It’s come round quick and I’m excited about getting back on the bike and starting with the new team. I haven’t ridden a motorcycle since Valencia so it’s going to take me a little while to get back into the rhythm, but now I’m ready to get back into it.”

Continuity will be a key factor for Spies in 2011 and as he steps up to the factory Yamaha team he will carry on working alongside Crew Chief Tom Houseworth and mechanic Gregory Wood, who were both with him in the Tech 3 set-up last year. A notable addition for this year is Massimo ‘Maio’ Meregalli, who will act as Team Manager for Spies’ crew and with whom the American won the 2009 Superbike title.

“I have a great team and everyone around me is the best I feel I could put together, now it’s up to me. I feel like a lot of the pressure is off as we have made the step to the factory team, now I’ll just do the best I can,” said Spies.

“Me and ‘Maio’ talk a lot to one another but we don’t talk much about ambitions. As personalities we have big goals and ambitions and we get along really well, we have done from day one. He just knows how I think and knows that I don’t like to talk a lot about the little things. When I’m in the garage he’s very good at being able to read what I’m thinking and what I need. We have a very good bond. It was a big deal for me coming over to Europe for my first year (in Superbikes in 2009) and he took such good care of me. We obviously won the title together but he was also a really good friend too. We were also able to put that aside and work very well as a team, and he runs a very good programme. He listens to what I need and I can’t wait to work with him again.”

Shifting focus to the upcoming Test, Spies said: “We will obviously have to look at some stuff Yamaha will have for the bike, and for me it’s more about going there to ride, getting the bike moving in the right direction, working as a team, and then going back for the second Test and really treating it very methodically. We always want to go fast and make improvements, but what position we’re in or how fast we go is not the goal. I just need to get comfortable on the bike again and we need to understand how the team works together.”

Team-mate Jorge Lorenzo tested a new M1 engine at Valencia last November, and when asked what more he feels he requires from the bike Spies responded: “We could see last year we needed a little more straight line speed, that was obvious during the season, but the overall M1 package is fantastic. It’s a great balance of a motorcycle that does everything very well, and I think we just need to work on the engine a little bit. Right now I don’t know exactly what will be at the Test, there could be a huge change in the bike and I’m just getting ready to see what will be brought – we’ll see when we get there and then evaluate it.”

Well known for his cautious approach to stating what he expects to achieve ahead of a season, Spies discussed his aims for the 2011 campaign both in terms of results and personal development.

“It’s very simple for me. Every year I want to do better than the year before. In 2010 we finished second, third, fourth and fifth, had a pole position (at Indianapolis) and led the race for a little bit. We didn’t do anything crazy but we were very solid, and we didn’t win a race. I wasn’t expecting that out of myself, I think maybe some other people were,” he commented. “So next year it’s to fight at the front consistently, and to win a race. That is the goal. We finished sixth in the Championship so we want to do better and finish in the top five. You can’t always make huge, huge gains, but if I do better than I did last year there will be a win and we’re going to see the front more often. “

Spies continued: “I also have a great team-mate and I’m ready to try and learn from him as well. Jorge is super fast and has a lot of talent. I’m comfortable with my race craft and things like that, I like how I do things in that area, but I’m not scared to say that I need to learn how to go faster and I think he is a very fast guy. With other things, from how I train to my approach to races, I don’t like to change because that’s what I’m happy with. But I do have to learn how to go faster on a motorcycle.”

Ready and willing to learn from defending World Champion Lorenzo, the ultimate aim will be to challenge his team-mate as a measure of how far Spies has come.

“When the lights go off I want to win the race, as does everybody on the grid. I do want to beat Jorge, he’s the first person you want to beat, but he’s the fastest guy in the world and is an awesome rider. First I need to try and understand why he goes so fast. He is a genuine and talented guy and wants to win. There’s nobody else right now that I’d like to be team-mates with more in terms of learning how to go fast on a motorcycle, and I’m very excited about being team-mates with him for next year,” concluded Spies.

REPSOL HONDA UNVEIL 2011 TEAM AT SEPANG

stonerhonda.jpg

Repsol Honda display 2011 team in Malaysia
Monday, 31 January 2011

The three-rider factory team line-up of new boy Casey Stoner, Dani Pedrosa and Andrea Dovizioso were presented in Kuala Lumpur on Monday, along with the 2011 RC212V.

The Repsol Honda team officially presented its 2011 MotoGP line-up and bike to the media at the Hotel Pan Pacific in Kuala Lumpur on Monday.

Riders Dani Pedrosa, Casey Stoner and Andrea Dovizioso, HRC Vice President Shuhei Nakamoto and the Repsol Honda team which will support the three-rider set-up were all on stage at the event, along with the 2011 RC212V.

After the photo opportunity the three riders took questions from the assembled press, during which Pedrosa expressed some lingering concerns over the condition of his still recovering collarbone he broke last October at Motegi. Dovizioso confirmed he will try the new RC212V chassis for the first time at this week’s Sepang Test which starts tomorrow (Tuesday), and also outlined braking stability as a target for improvement across the three days.

The event was also the first time Stoner appeared in Repsol Honda colours and the Australian is looking forward to continuing work following his first ride of the RC212V at Valencia last November. There, Stoner spoke about his satisfaction with the smoothness of the engine’s power delivery, and like Dovizioso underlined braking stability as an area of concentration across the upcoming three-day schedule.

“I’m really excited and It’s a great emotion to wear the Repsol Honda colours for the first time. When I was a child, I used to watch Mick Doohan winning Championships one after the other with these colours and for me it’s an honour to be part of this team,” said Stoner. “I know that it will be a tough season because there are many strong riders, starting from my two team mates, but I’m very motivated for this new challenge.”

Pedrosa commented: “The winter break has been long, as always, but in my case also good because I had time to rest and do a proper rehabilitation for my shoulder. The test program is to continue developing the good base we had last year. In particular we need to find something extra on the chassis and the engine to improve the stability of the bike entering the corner and the traction at the exit. My target is to fight for the title, of course. In my previous years in MotoGP I had very good races, I've been fighting in front but I still miss the title. This can be due to several reasons, but if I could change something I would say my real wish is to avoid further injury."

Dovizioso was also in good form, adding: “I’m very happy to be part of the Repsol Honda Team, especially this year as we will be a very competitive team, stronger than ever. We are three riders able to fight for the win and the title, me and my team are very enthusiastic. This year we have a high target; to fight for the Championship.”

The trio will continue their efforts to prepare the RC212V for a shot at the final 800cc title with the first official MotoGP Test of 2011, which takes place from February 1st-3rd and can be followed here on motogp.com.

TAGS

DOVIZIOSO CLAIMS IT WILL BE DIFFICULT FOR ROSSI TO REPEAT 2004

MOTOGP » Dovizioso doubts Rossi can repeat 2004

“I think for the first race he will be not so strong, but you always have to be 'scared' of Valentino Rossi,” – Andrea Dovizioso.
Andrea Dovizioso believes it will be much harder for fellow Italian Valentino Rossi to repeat his stunning debut Yamaha MotoGP victory with new team Ducati.

On paper, the Desmosedici is far more competitive than the M1 had been when Rossi left Honda at the end of 2003.

However Rossi was only 15th fastest at the end of his Ducati debut, during a two-day test at Valencia last November, and he headed for shoulder surgery straight after.

The seven time MotoGP champion doesn't expect to be fully fit until April or May, but the first race of the new season is on March 20.

Unlike in 2004, Rossi now has just three pre-season tests to prepare his new bike.

“It is difficult to say if Rossi will be fighting for victory at the first race because it is impossible to know the exact situation for Valentino,” began Repsol Honda rider Dovizioso. “Sure the shoulder is difficult, but I think the feeling between Valentino and Ducati at the first test wasn't so good.

“Then he made an operation and so now he feels worse. He has to try to start again after three months. Everything is difficult. I think for the first race he will be not so strong, but you always have to be 'scared' of Valentino Rossi because he has won so many titles.

“It looks like the situation in MotoGP has changed a little bit compared with four or five years ago [when Rossi left Honda for Yamaha]. The level is higher and the bike is different. 800cc instead of 1000cc. I think for him it will be more difficult for him.

“I don't know how he will be at the first race, but for sure his first test was not so good.”

Rossi starts his second Ducati test alongside his 2011 rivals at Sepang in Malaysia today (Tuesday).

Have to say, I agree with him. although we will have a much clearer picture when the 3 day test ends......

HIROSHI AOYAMA INTERVIEW, LOOKS LIKE THE JAPANESE NIPPER IS AIMING HIGH, CANT BE TOO HAPPY ABOUT HIS TEAM MATE BEING ON A FACTORY BIKE THOUGH :evil: :evil:

PA879604.jpg

MOTOGP » Aoyama sets sights on factory riders

"My target is to be in the top five. I know it's not so easy, but we will see how much we can beat the factory riders" - Hiroshi Aoyama.
Hiroshi Aoyama has his sights set on beating as many factory MotoGP riders as possible during his second year in the premier-class.

The former 250cc world champion took a best race finish of seventh during an injury-interrupted rookie season for the now defunct Interwetten Honda squad.

A move to Gresini Honda kept Japan's only MotoGP rider on the grid for 2011 and he began the year well by being classified 7th-6th-7th during the first three-day Sepang MotoGP test earlier this month.

Aoyama's team-mate Marco Simoncelli was fastest at that test but, unlike Aoyama, the Italian has the benefit of a factory-spec RC212V.

“My [satellite] bike is based on last year's bike,” Aoyama told Crash.net. “We received a new engine and I can feel more power and better character.

“I think we will stay with 2010 suspension. I don't hear any news that we will change, but maybe there is a possibility when we receive the new chassis.

“It's going well. Of course I want more, but at this moment I am just adapting to the new team and chief mechanic. So I think where we are is not too bad. I'd be happy to race with this bike.

“Now we want to try to further improve a little bit the braking stability and handling. We tried different rear shocks and this was positive for me. It was very interesting. I never tried something like that and I am very interested to try it again.”

Simoncelli aside, there will officially be eight factory riders in MotoGP 2011 and Aoyama hopes to be regularly beating at least one of them.

“This year we have eight factory riders on the grid so if I can fight with them and beat at least one of them I am happy,” he said. “My target is to be in the top five. I know it's not so easy, but we will see how much we can beat the factory riders.”

Aoyama missed six races last season after fracturing his back at Silverstone.

“This winter I tried to do some exercise that doesn't stress my back too much,” he said. “Swimming, cycling and so on. At the moment I feel physically good. I feel fine.”

Alright then, howzabout where we think things will shape up this year. In typical sweeping statement fashion I'm guessing Stoner (and it hurts me to say this as I know Mark Rossi thinks he's the dogs bollocks) and Lorenzo to be on a tear and up the front end this year and Rossi not able to get the Ducati up to speed (to be at the sharp end, he'll be fast but struggle to match the pace of Lorenzo and Stoner me thinks) and crashing while trying. Spies will show moments of brilliance when under pressure but not at the front consistently, as much as i wish otherwise.

Thats me lobbing a stone in and betting Luke a pint that even the magic of Rossi's riding and development skills, combined with jeremy burgess's insight fail to sort the Ducati out by the first half of the season. It also shows that despite Stoners pace on a bike he's lacking in proper bike development feedback as you can see by the sub-par Ducati he help create. I reckon being married also fucks things evidenced by his more erratic performance since his marriage and Lorenzo and Rossi's stellar performances no doubt due their continued "chasing tail" lifestyle.

OK back to the couch now.

Khun Justin,

Yes difficult to see stoner being beaten, seeing as he has been fastest in nearly 90% of the testing, I think Ben Spies will do better than you think this season, last night he yet again posted a faster time than Lorenzo, Im not a particular fan of his but I think he will be right up there.

You fail to mention marco Simoncelli, I think he will win a race this year and Ill bet he finishes ahead of the Repsol Honda of Dovizioso in the end of year standings.

We will see Sunday just how bad/good the ducati is this year, however last night Rossi posted 5th fastest time supposedly on a Hard Tyre. Have they worked out their corner issues already??

Anyway here are the latest Practice times from Thursday in Qatar....

MOTOGP » Qatar MotoGP - Thursday practice times

Full Thursday free practice times from the Qatar MotoGP, round 1 of the 2011 world championship.

1. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda Team 1m 55.752s
2. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team 1m 56.362s
3. Hector Barbera ESP Mapfre Aspar Team 1m 56.421s
4. Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 1m 56.441s
5. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Marlboro Team 1m 56.479s
6. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 1m 56.493s
7. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing 1m 56.586s
8. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda Team 1m 56.592s
9. Randy de Puniet FRA Pramac Racing Team 1m 56.790s
10. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1m 56.879s
11. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Marlboro Team 1m 56.910s
12. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini 1m 56.987s
13. Loris Capirossi ITA Pramac Racing Team 1m 57.366s
14. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1m 57.429s
15. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 1m 57.821s
16. Alvaro Bautista ESP Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1m 58.528s
17. Toni Elias ESP LCR Honda MotoGP 1m 59.087s

Interesting reads, I have no real knowledge on the tarmac so no educated opinion just old fashion biased.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, "Stoner will dominate Qatar " just a hunch.

Surprising to see Valentino 5th fastest in 1st practice. Cant wait to see the weekend develop.
Roll on Moto G.P.! :p

-146_1103_+motogp_qatar_qualifying+.JPG.jpg

2011 MotoGP Qatar Friday qualifying results:
1. Casey Stoner (AUS) Honda 1:54.137
2. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Honda 1:54.342
3. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Yamaha 1:54.947
4. Marco Simoncelli (ITA) Honda 1:54.988
5. Ben Spies (USA) Yamaha 1:55.095
6. Hector Barbera (SPA) Ducati 1:55.223
7. Andrea Dovisioso (ITA) Honda 1:55.229
8. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) Yamaha 1:55.578
9. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Ducati 1:55.637
10. Colin Edwards (USA) Yamaha 1:55.647
11. Randy De Puniet (FRA) Ducati 1:55.656
12. Hiroshi Aoyama (JPN) Honda 1:55.724
13. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati 1:55.881
14. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Ducati 1:56.323
15. Karel Abraham (CZE) Ducati 1:56.665
16. Toni Elias (SPA) Honda 1:57.992

Wow! like 'Brian66" stated pre-season the Honda's look like their a notch above and are still developing the bike. There are some serious qualifying time differences, The question is will they translate to race conditions? Looks likely.

I was just watching qualifying practice on youtube and thought I would share. Sorry no English commentary available.
Part 1

Part 2

Las Lap Motogp Qatar
f----k listen to Stoner's Honda when your watching the cam awesome footage.

Results
Pos. Points Num. Rider Nation Team Bike Km/h Time/Gap
1 25 27 Casey STONER AUS Repsol Honda Team Honda 166.5 42'38.569
2 20 1 Jorge LORENZO SPA Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha 166.3 +3.440
3 16 26 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 166.2 +5.051
4 13 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Repsol Honda Team Honda 166.2 +5.942
5 11 58 Marco SIMONCELLI ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 166.1 +7.358
6 10 11 Ben SPIES USA Yamaha Factory Racing Yamaha 165.9 +10.468
7 9 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Ducati Team Ducati 165.5 +16.431
8 8 5 Colin EDWARDS USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 164.8 +26.293
9 7 69 Nicky HAYDEN USA Ducati Team Ducati 164.8 +27.416
10 6 7 Hiroshi AOYAMA JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 164.7 +28.920
11 5 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 164.3 +34.539
12 4 8 Hector BARBERA SPA Mapfre Aspar Team MotoGP Ducati 164.3 +34.829
13 3 17 Karel ABRAHAM CZE Cardion AB Motoracing Ducati 164.1 +37.957
Not Classified
24 Toni ELIAS SPA LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 162.8 4 Laps
65 Loris CAPIROSSI ITA Pramac Racing Team Ducati 142.4 21 Laps
14 Randy DE PUNIET FRA Pramac Racing Team Ducati 0 Lap

If Dani pedrosa doesnt win the championship this year, he never will. If he cant hold onto a 800 for a race distance, how will he hold a heavier, more powerful 1000????? ( they arrive next year). I feel for the little midget, I personally reckon he's faster than Stoner and would have spanked him has he not had arm issues.
This year is going to be awesome!! did anyone see simoncelli's pass on dovizioso?? looked like it was straight from the dirty world of motox racing!! right out of rossi's scrapbook....

casey-stoner-fireblade-540x353.jpg

If the championship was about the fastest lap, I believe Pedrosa would be in for a chance.
But as the championship is decided over 18 rounds of 300km and the Aussie is teamed up with the beloved Honda, the brand that has taken numerous Australians to become world champion. I am predicting a perfect season for Stoner, he will not be defeated in a 2011 event round.

4189219097_acab78f8e8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom