Military places

Steve Canyon

Bikes
SMT990
Hey Gents....can anybody help with co-ordinates for Stuff like Sam sites, pretty sure there was some stuff on the site but I cant find it....

Any Military sites would be good, I'm planning a covert invasion of Laos and would love to Tick of a few of these sites....Any help will be appreciated..

Can we do a Google Earth..... of all Ra's favourite places...?

Enjoy the Royal wedding....

I know of 2 missile sites - 1 in the far south of Laos near Attapeu (see my post on my trip to the south of Laos) and 1 near Gnommalath along the road from Thakheak to Vietnam (haven't seen this one but it is on my long list of things to see/do). There are lots of abandoned airstrips but almost all of these are overgrown.

Along the roads around the Ho-Chi-Minh route you will see plenty of evidence of bombs, etc. with a lot of them used as house-posts, etc. Auxiliary fuel tanks are used as boats and so on. Near Phonsavan there is a small village where they make aluminum spoons out of warscrap.

Best, as KTMPhil mentioned, is to get hold of the new Laos GPS map which has all of these and many more on the map with coordinates (map available from the Riders Corner at a cost of 1500 Baht/50 USD).

In the process of setting up the paypal chris, I can mail you a Laos gps map and you can pay me when you come over next, pm me

Chris - funny enough, today, I'm using mm Laos gps map today to get up to Lima 85, the USA s main radar Tower for bombing Hanoi during the Vietnam war. It's NW of xam neua in Ne Laos. Most get stopped at the military camp on the trail should be an interesting day. Yesterday we got some great shots of a soviet tank near phonsavan & a look at the Russian mig fighters that have been abandoned at phonsavan airport, looked like there were Laos flags painted on the tail section of the mig fighter jets.

Xiengkhouang- airport L 22 has some very interesting military hardware on the tarmac.
Sure would be interesting to gain access to this facility, a virtual musem!
Ls 108 (nong tang) is now completely stripped of any of the old military hardware. In fact is lined with power lines and hosts two schools!
L 21 has been bought up by GMG laos, and had bungalows, driving range, ethinic market! Traces of the ware erra are dissapearing fast, unless you go to the many UXO visitors centers cropping up on Phonsavan.

Attachments

• migsantinov.jpg
    migsantinov.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 1,135
  • migs4.jpg
    migs4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,711
  • radar.jpg
    radar.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,238
  • migs.jpg
    migs.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,192
  • driving-range.jpg
    driving-range.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,247
  • ls-108.jpg
    ls-108.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,128
  • hills-ls108.jpg
    hills-ls108.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 1,121
you're right MM that canon you have does zoom better than most cameras, nice shots, i didnt realize the Migs were in such bad shape.

Wow there some fantastic shots midnight..

Sure would be nice to gain access as you say....

Lets just rock up with a set of clubs...heheheee

New Peoples Security Museum, Vientiane Laos, Opening soon, with some tantilizing artifacts on display. Midnitemapper

Attachments

• toyota.jpg
    toyota.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,149
  • apc.jpg
    apc.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,038
  • fire-truck.jpg
    fire-truck.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,037
  • sidecar.jpg
    sidecar.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,003
  • zill-truck.jpg
    zill-truck.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,055
  • peoples-security.jpg
    peoples-security.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1,113
  • security-museum.jpg
    security-museum.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 986
Of course while in the area have a look around,

Attachments

• that-luang.jpg
    that-luang.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 971
  • that-luang2.jpg
    that-luang2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 975
  • monument.jpg
    monument.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,006
Looking for some great Military hardware, try the Lao Peoples Army History Museum Near Tat Luang ,Vientiane Laos

Attachments

• machine-gun.jpg
    machine-gun.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,137
  • zil.jpg
    zil.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • milmuseum.jpg
    milmuseum.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Lao-peoples-army-history-museum.jpg
    Lao-peoples-army-history-museum.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,167
Plenty of goodies to keep you entertained, for an afternoon.

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • mI8-2.jpg
    mI8-2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 1,040
  • t58.jpg
    t58.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 1,060
  • radar.jpg
    radar.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,108
Next time i'm in Vientiane, i'll stop by the Lao Peoples Army History Museum, looks very interesting, have they actually opened it now?

Some of the best is in the rear of the building, don't miss this part.

Attachments

• antiaircraft.jpg
    antiaircraft.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 748
  • Army-staff.jpg
    Army-staff.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,135
  • jeepseat.jpg
    jeepseat.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,093
  • jeeprussia.jpg
    jeeprussia.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,119
  • facseat.jpg
    facseat.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,070
  • facplane.jpg
    facplane.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 714
  • driversseat.jpg
    driversseat.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,103
  • apcgun.jpg
    apcgun.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 766
  • apc.jpg
    apc.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 755
  • howitzer.jpg
    howitzer.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,112
The largest helicopter in service today, (an undisclosed location in Laos)
just under the tail rotor is the Lao flag.
Russian Mil MI 26
8 Rotor design
32 mtr diameter
Weight: 28200 kg - Max: 56000
Engine: 2 Ioatarev D-136 of
11400 hp each
Speed: Max: 295 km/h
Range: 800 km
Service Ceiling: 4600 m
There were 200 built
Very impressive, but this one has seen its last flight, could use a little air in those tires.

Mil Mi 26.jpg
One of the deadliest heilicopter crashes ever recorded 147 troops perished.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Khankala_Mi-26_crash

For size comparison this file photo lifting a Chinook, the USA heavy lift chopper
lifting chinook.jpg

Hey Guys, Got my Laos GPs maps, so I'm going to start dreaming about what I'm going to do when I get there.....
Military things are top of the list....

I really fancy the HM trail but wonder if it's to difficult?? can you cover much distance in a day..

Want to start from the south and head up...

Info and pictures will be gratefully received..

looks like the wife Isn't coming this year ;) ....so I'm hopefully going to get 3 weeks riding in... :lol:

Thanks guys...

Chris Glad to hear you have the LaosGPSmap, Welcome aboard.

I have spent several years researching and exploring, tracking,mapping the Ho Chi Minh trails.
Many Gems like this tank are still to be found.

buried-tank.jpg
Another great example, remnants of the War.princes,bridge.jpg
Here is a sample of some old war maps, used for reference.
Ho-Chi-Minh-Trail-map.jpg

Muang Phin, 156 kilometers, East of Savannakhet.
Once a major crossroads on the Ho Chi Minh trail, are remains of a Downed, US chopper and a war memorial.

helicopter.jpg

monument2.jpg

Midnitemapper said:
Xiengkhouang- airport L 22 has some very interesting military hardware on the tarmac.
Ls 108 (nong tang) is now completely stripped of any of the old military hardware. In fact is lined with power lines and hosts two schools!
L 21 has been bought up by GMG laos, and had bungalows, driving range, ethinic market! Traces of the ware erra are dissapearing fast, unless you go to the many UXO visitors centers cropping up on Phonsavan.

The Migs on the Xiengkhouang airport seem to be MIG 21's which for that time were very advanced planes and holds several world records:

The Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 (NATO reporting name "Fishbed") is a supersonic jet fighter aircraft, designed and built by the Mikoyan-Gurevich Design Bureau in the Soviet Union. Some 50 countries over four continents have flown the MiG-21, and it still serves many nations a half-century after its maiden flight. The plane has the distinction of holding a number of aviation records, including 1: the most produced jet aircraft in aviation history, 2: the most produced combat aircraft since WWII, and 3: the longest production run of a combat aircraft. Its Mach 2 capability exceeds the top speed of many later modern fighter types. Estimates are that more than 10,000 MiG-21s were built.

They could make a fortune opening that up to the public.

Lone Rider said:
Midnitemapper said:

The Migs on the Xiengkhouang airport seem to be MIG 21's which for that time were very advanced planes and holds several world records:

The Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 (NATO reporting name "Fishbed") is a supersonic jet fighter aircraft, designed and built by the Mikoyan-Gurevich Design Bureau in the Soviet Union. Some 50 countries over four continents have flown the MiG-21, and it still serves many nations a half-century after its maiden flight. The plane has the distinction of holding a number of aviation records, including 1: the most produced jet aircraft in aviation history, 2: the most produced combat aircraft since WWII, and 3: the longest production run of a combat aircraft. Its Mach 2 capability exceeds the top speed of many later modern fighter types. Estimates are that more than 10,000 MiG-21s were built.

November 2010
I made contact with 3 helicopter pilots where doing motorcycle tour through laos, arranged by Jim at Remote Asia.

2 of the pilots were active in the Viet Nam war, Tom who was flying a Huey helicopter shot down in Laos. Interesting that he did not know the exact location. However all fine details of the incedent seemed pretty fresh, hearing those stories. We will try and pinpoint the location during the upcoming dry season.

We also did the obligatory, look see, at the Xieng Kuang Airport.

This helment looks like the outer shell of an sph-4 aviation helment with the bottom 3 inches cut off. After a little more research I discovered that the airfield at Phonsavan was a mig 21 base built in the late 70's and those are mig 21's on the ramp with their intake covers installed
quote from JD who flew a Cobra gunship
This helmet was found by Nick Tate during some exploration near Xepon.war-helmet2.jpg

Attachments

• war-helmet3.jpg
    war-helmet3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,030
Mm your got some great photos man, how hard is the trail and how long do you think it would take me?

Chris,
Thats a tough question, there are quite a few untouched, original Ho Chi Minh roads. Then again, many new roads have been built some directly overtop of "The Trail". Many are disused and impassable. The "Trail" of course is not A ROAD, but a network of walkways, bikepaths,waterways and roads that were used to ferry war supplies to South Vietnam. I have read accounts of 16,000 to 20,000 kilometers of these trails.

To explore the Trail and Southern Laos (and the TRAIL) you need min 10 days, to as many as you want. It is possible to pick up a bike in the Southern town of Pakse and ride North, ending in Vientiane were you would drop off the bike. Doing "the Trail" along the way.

This will save you several days travel time over picking up the bike in Vientiane.

There are some photos on the LaosGPSmap web site,
http://www.laosgpsmap.com/ho-chi-minh-trail-in-laos

This photo along Provincal Road 6307 was once the main highway for supplies along between Tchepone and Muang Nong.
When the Belgian Cooperation project rehabed the roads in this area 2005-2006 they preserved this section, of the original cobble stones.
The fencing is kinda cute?

Attachments

• Ho-Chi-Minh-Trail-road.jpg
    Ho-Chi-Minh-Trail-road.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 762
Since you are using the LaosGPSmap places like this will be easy to find.
Heres how you do it.

First search "Cities" M_Nong
This is now save in your "recent finds"

Next, press search, search near, then go to recent finds press M_Nong
Next Search Attractions, you will get the list here without doing a spell search.
Of all attractons around M_Nong.

Select Ho Chi Minh Trail Cobbled

search-ho-chi-minh.jpg

ho-chi-minh-trail.jpg
Review the point, and you will get this page
oregon-ho-road.jpg

Phil, you will not see many shop houses on this trip, However quite a few tribal villages.
This well built house along this same stretch of road.

muang-nong-house.jpg

Great stuff Midnight, I'm just waiting for my new Garmin to turn up then I will start to play... :D

I looked at your site and it would appear you have the trail mapped.........?

What's the name of the bike hire shop....jeez man your making it easy :)

Midnight I'm going to come find you when I'm there.....and buy you beer.. ;)

Start leaving some clues for me....

Please post more of your photos...there brilliant..

:D :D

Phil, you will not see many shop houses on this trip, However quite a few tribal villages.
This well built house along this same stretch of road.

-Sounds awesome, lets get that XR 400 in the pick-up and get down there before it starts to rain.

Back
Top Bottom