Might get boring but again a mapping trip this time to the Hongsa and Xayaboury Area.

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Mapping Trip to the Hongsa and Xayaboury Area.

Plan was to update the Laos GPS map as many of the tracks in the Hongsa and Xayaboury area had been upgraded or would be upgraded soon. First stop was the Phra Thammacharik Hermitage near Ban Sop Puen on Rd 1080. Had seen the stupa many times but never stopped to have a closer look but, as the road was blocked due to the transport of heavy equipment for the Hongsa Power Plant, this was a good time

For as far as I know, the stupa was built under the auspices of the Thai government when they launched the Thammacharik Program with the goal of bringing the country's hill tribes into the mainstream of society. Monks were given training and the resources needed to go into remote areas to teach Buddhism. The reports on the progress of the Program make interesting reading. The monks' idea of spreading the Dhamma consisted, as one would expect, of teaching the tribes people how to bow to them properly, how to offer food in the right way and to chant the Metta Sutta for them. They didn't learn the language, they were not interested in making a long term commitment, they avoided hardship or inconvenience, they were not prepared to compromise on their rules and the locals were expected to change their norms to suit the monks, not the other way around. The Thammacharik Program was a failure as far as spreading Buddhism was concerned and was eventually abandoned. Christian missionaries soon moved in with their schools, basic health services and agricultural training programs etc. and today a large number of Thailand's hill tribes are Christian.
Source: The Broken Buddha. Critical reflections on Theravada and a Plea for a new Buddhism by S. Dhammika (http://www.buddhistische-gesellschaft-berlin.de/downloads/brokenbuddhanew.pdf)

Not sure what to make of it as there was no one around but it was clear that very recenty a party had been held as several empty boxes which had contained bottles of whiskey as well as beer bottles were lying around.

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

Transporting a transformer to the Hongsa Power Plant
IMG_4225.jpg

IMG_4226.jpg

Spent the night in Hongsa at the Jumbo Guesthouse and the next day went of with Monica from the Jumbo GH as she would like to see the same area I was interested in. Along the way we passed by the place with the baby elephant, which was born in February this year.

IMG_4230.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

One of the upgraded roads to the south-west of Hongsa but the bridge somehow was forgotten
IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

Village in the valley
IMG_4244.jpg

Dam under construction for one of the reservoirs to supply water to the power plant
IMG_4258.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4266.jpg

Rd 4A from Hongsa to Xayaboury
IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

Ban Houayhip which has to mover higher up the mountain due to construction of the Xayaboury Dam
IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

The new Mekong bridge at Thadua. The bridge was scheduled to open in May this year but it looks like it may take another year before everything is ready
IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

Another resettlement village
IMG_4292.jpg

Small waterfall along Rd 4 from xayaboury to Luang Prabang
IMG_4299.jpg

The Mekong - the dam is supposed to be ready in 2019 and all these rocks will then be under water
IMG_4303.jpg

New road and bridge being constructed along the east side of the Mekong
IMG_4305.jpg

Ban Talan on the westside of the Mekong - this village needs to be partially resettled as it will be flooded by the Xayaboury reservoir
IMG_4311.jpg

Another village which needs to be partly resettled
IMG_4372.jpg

The Mekong river is one of the main sources of building sand to be used for the dam
IMG_4312.jpg

Oops
IMG_4318.jpg

and the reason for the Oops - going uphill, the load shifted and the guy suddenly found that he had only his rear-wheels on the ground and no control over where he was going. Actually, he was quite lucky as the rear-wheels dug into the soft soil otherwise he might have ended up in the Mekong
IMG_4369.jpg

Fast flowing Mekong near the dam construction site
IMG_4366.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

Better get all that wood out now before it disappears under water
IMG_4333.jpg

All that is left of Ban Pakneun as the village has been demolished and its inhabitants resettled elsewhere
IMG_4346.jpg

Nothing left of Ban Houayxouy as it had to make place for the construction camp
IMG_4347.jpg

You need to time your travel along the old road which will be flooded in due time as up there on the left they are building the new road and rocks may come tumbling down
IMG_4368.jpg

The waterlevel in the Mekong is still quite high as only the roofs of the shops and restaurants on one of the ferry landing sites are sticking out of the water on the other side of the river
IMG_4379.jpg

Safety first
IMG_4381.jpg

Busy at the ferry and Thongkhoon from Green Discovery was not happy that he had to pay the same for his bike as I had to pay for my truck to get to the other side
IMG_4382.jpg

It is still a bit hazy in the mountains although quite a bit of rain had fallen
IMG_4385.jpg

IMG_4392.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

The dirt road to Luang Prabang had been upgraded - not sure how far they have gone though
IMG_4394.jpg

Almost everywhere you looked there were new dirt roads either being constructed or being upgraded
IMG_4398.jpg

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

Kids taking a bath in the mud puddles but their friends looked a bit skeptical
IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4404.jpg

Agree; your work is never boring and always informative Auke.
And look at those clearly marked road signs!

Wow !! Amazing changes Auke. Makes me glad I was able to see Laos in the good old days... :-)

Thanks for the updates Auke!! Seems like only yesterday bashing about in the dirt around Hongsa and Xayabouri was out in the sticks. From your travels Auke are they bulldozing new roads or mostly improving existing roads? Kind of hoping there will be new paths and tracks to explore with all the building and relocating but maybe a bit too much optimism. Loved the pic of the seat nailed precariously above the belt and pulley's of the boat motor. Make sure you're not wearing loose fitting boxers eh?

From your travels Auke are they bulldozing new roads or mostly improving existing roads? Kind of hoping there will be new paths and tracks to explore with all the building and relocating but maybe a bit too much optimism. Loved the pic of the seat nailed precariously above the belt and pulley's of the boat motor. Make sure you're not wearing loose fitting boxers eh?

It is mainly upgrading of existing roads although they are also building some new roads. The road (Road 4) from Xayaboury to Luang Prabang which could be a nightmare in the wet is now partly paved and I guess that soon the whole stretch is tarmac while the new road from Kasy to Muang Nan which links Rd 4 with Road 13N should be ready soon.

Things change very fast in Laos and I have seen massive changes over the last 8 years that I visit and travel in Laos - first for work (2005 to 2007) and now just for fun and to update the GPS map with 6-10 trip each year

Great report Auke it is amazing to see those changes of yours that most don't normally see in Laos. What impressed me on my recent Laos trip was the amount of fibre optic communication cable being installed underground throughout the country.

Your reports & boring are not words i would have thought possible to see in the same sentance ;)

Your reports always make excellent reading.

Ally

What impressed me on my recent Laos trip was the amount of fibre optic communication cable being installed underground throughout the country.

Yes, there is a lot going on with fibre optic cables but these belong to the army and I am not sure if the civilian part of the government can make use of these cables. However, with regard to communications they are more advanced than Thailand - they had already for quite some time 3G and they are now working on the 4G system while Thailand just officially rolled out the 3G system.

Your reports always make excellent reading.

Ally

Thanks Ally for the compliment. Still a few more things coming up with with regard to the Xayaboury dam like how it will be built and the sequence of the construction, etc.

In addition I have one or more trip reports in the making but this time for the North of Thailand on a) border crossings and b) the Doi Phatang area. This latter area has always had my interest and I have been there a few times and I collected quite a bit of info on it which I am still "digesting". Later this week I might make another quick trip to that area to confirm a few things I have been reading about but which, while reading up on it, made me a bit confused.

b) the Doi Phatang area. This latter area has always had my interest and I have been there a few times and I collected quite a bit of info on it which I am still "digesting". Later this week I might make another quick trip to that area to confirm a few things I have been reading about but which, while reading up on it, made me a bit confused.

Looking forward to reading this one, quite interesting what you have found out about the area

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Midnitemapper Laos Ride Reports 7
Back
Top Bottom